The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
I can't talk about your course, but the life at uni is pretty amazing, the city is huge so there are zillions of things to do (shopping, gigs, etc), and the university offers a lot of activites, sports, societies, conferences and so on. It's not really easy to describe life at uni since you'll have your own experience of it, but I very much doubt it's a uni where you can get bored. The architecture is also quite incredible, just on Oxford Road you have a wide range of architectural styles and the city centre is also very very nice, so if you like taking pictures, you'll like Manchester :p:.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Anatheme
I can't talk about your course, but the life at uni is pretty amazing, the city is huge so there are zillions of things to do (shopping, gigs, etc), and the university offers a lot of activites, sports, societies, conferences and so on. It's not really easy to describe life at uni since you'll have your own experience of it, but I very much doubt it's a uni where you can get bored. The architecture is also quite incredible, just on Oxford Road you have a wide range of architectural styles and the city centre is also very very nice, so if you like taking pictures, you'll like Manchester :p:.

Ooh haha cool, thanks very much!!! That sounds interesting :biggrin: Because I'm an international student, I was wondering how much housing costs in comparison to other places like...Nottingham and Liverpool perhaps? :smile:
Reply 3
im sure you'll have much time to do all those things haha
Reply 4
Have you asked in the architecture forum?

I haven't heard any horror stories... I think jrhartley (hope I got that right) had some problems a while back but other than that I've never heard someone have anything really negative to say about it.

I'm on the course and no problems so far. The department is a bit stretched given the number of students, other than that it's good.
Reply 5
alkrodien
Ooh haha cool, thanks very much!!! That sounds interesting :biggrin: Because I'm an international student, I was wondering how much housing costs in comparison to other places like...Nottingham and Liverpool perhaps? :smile:

Well, I'm a EU student, so even if I pay home fees, I'd say that Manchester is a pretty cheap city, tbh. The bus fares are not so expensive and there are plenty of little shops where you can do shopping and it's gonna be cheap as chips :yep:
Reply 6
Anatheme
Well, I'm a EU student, so even if I pay home fees, I'd say that Manchester is a pretty cheap city, tbh. The bus fares are not so expensive and there are plenty of little shops where you can do shopping and it's gonna be cheap as chips :yep:

I am also an EU student but it seems you are from a different part of the union than me. Manchester is extremely expensive compared to back home. Things like meat or even a bottle of Coke cost around TWICE as much as they do back home. My bus pass here is more than twice what I would pay back home.
The only things that are cheaper here than back home are peanut butter and gym memberships and fortunately for me, I love both of those.
Reply 7
teriaki
I am also an EU student but it seems you are from a different part of the union than me. Manchester is extremely expensive compared to back home. Things like meat or even a bottle of Coke cost around TWICE as much as they do back home. My bus pass here is more than twice what I would pay back home.
The only things that are cheaper here than back home are peanut butter and gym memberships and fortunately for me, I love both of those.

Where are you from?
I can get my weekly food for less than £20 :s-smilie:
(France is more expensive, probably because we're supposed to have fresher products like meat and vegetables/fruit)
Reply 8
Ava_Rice
Have you asked in the architecture forum?

I haven't heard any horror stories... I think jrhartley (hope I got that right) had some problems a while back but other than that I've never heard someone have anything really negative to say about it.

I'm on the course and no problems so far. The department is a bit stretched given the number of students, other than that it's good.

Haha i've searched but doesn't seem to have much information =| was hoping perhaps someone in the uni could tell me about the course! :biggrin: It's cool you're studying architecture in manchester! How many students do they have in first year? ><
Reply 9
Hahaha, how much does a bottle of coke cost in manchester? I suppose it's sort of a baseline for comparison between cities? XD I suppose finances are going to tight =| hm. Thanks for all your replies!! :biggrin:
Reply 10
alkrodien
Haha i've searched but doesn't seem to have much information =| was hoping perhaps someone in the uni could tell me about the course! :biggrin: It's cool you're studying architecture in manchester! How many students do they have in first year? ><

About 200 when I was in first year, 14x groups of 15, although architecture courses generally have a high drop out rate, so it went down to about 12-13 per group within a few weeks.
Reply 11
alkrodien
Hi! I just applied to Manchester for architecture (intl student), and i know it's a rather popular university and choice of course too. But i've heard some...stuff about the department and the course, except I can't find the exact problems/stories. Anyone care to share them here? Also, how's life like in the Uni? :biggrin:

Don't let one person put you off what is a great course. The people that come on here slagging it off are obviously just bitter in some way. Probably couldn't cope with the demands.

Latest

Trending

Trending