The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
pixy
Omg what he said your sketchbook was too finished 0_0
that is so worrying, what on earth does that eve mean.

Do you have any examples? omg this is scaring me.

I don't know if it was just me though, because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like my books to be so-so.. like all the pieces and drawings were all done and things.. everyone else had all this unfinished, really sketchy work that was so busy and all over the place and it all looked so brilliant. I felt really bummed afterwards :frown:
Reply 21
eerika im a perfectionist too 0_0
I mount all my work on card then stick it onto more car i just go crazy on presentation and i love to write neatly, is this a major no-no?
Reply 22
Yikes, it's really worrying...I have a portfolio asessment too tomorrow, and whilst I've mounted everyone all neatly and stuff, I do have examples of my thought-puking on some stuff XD

I was really worried they wouldn't like it; but 'too finished'? Yowzer, now I'm a bit worried! :frown: I'm also including photos of sculptures that are still in progress with all the design scribbles/notes etc, I was worried that that would put me at a disadvantage x_x;

I just don't know anyone else besides on the internet who does this, so I can't compare with anybody :frown:
Reply 23
eeriikaa
I don't know if it was just me though, because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like my books to be so-so.. like all the pieces and drawings were all done and things.. everyone else had all this unfinished, really sketchy work that was so busy and all over the place and it all looked so brilliant. I felt really bummed afterwards :frown:

Your sketchbook sounds like my first finished Foundation sketchbook I did in the first month or so of tutor-time classes. My tutor, a Textiles course leader, told me all of my work was really defined when I should of been concentrating more on development. I've changed my ways now, though there is a balance that needs to be found about having nice work in your sketchbook aswell, regardless of the misconception that it HAS to be just for concepting. I like to cycle between two or three books every two months or so and I think I've got a nice mix of pages I spend quite a fair bit of time concentrating on, but with the majority of the pages being sketches, doodles, quick life studies, ideas, concepts and brainstorming.

Basically, she told me it's important to show that you spend quite a fair bit of time jotting down things on the fly and not just spending time finalising one or two pieces that have been plucked from the air. They want you to come up with all sorts of ideas to make hundreds of final pieces, and to do that they expect to see a lot of sketchbook ideas.
Reply 24
61e.CR
Your sketchbook sounds like my first finished Foundation sketchbook I did in the first month or so of tutor-time classes. My tutor, a Textiles course leader, told me all of my work was really defined when I should of been concentrating more on development. I've changed my ways now, though there is a balance that needs to be found about having nice work in your sketchbook aswell, regardless of the misconception that it HAS to be just for concepting. I like to cycle between two or three books every two months or so and I think I've got a nice mix of pages I spend quite a fair bit of time concentrating on, but with the majority of the pages being sketches, doodles, quick life studies, ideas, concepts and brainstorming.

Basically, she told me it's important to show that you spend quite a fair bit of time jotting down things on the fly and not just spending time finalising one or two pieces that have been plucked from the air. They want you to come up with all sorts of ideas to make hundreds of final pieces, and to do that they expect to see a lot of sketchbook ideas.

That makes sense...

I wonder what's up though, seeing as I -am- the type of person to start one thing then move on to another without finishing the last thing, yet my books are still quite defined.. I also wonder if it's to do with my teachers always coming along going, "Why isn't this/that/the other finished?"

I don't think there's much I can do to those sketchbooks now, although I do have a smaller notebook that's a bit more doodley/sketchey and random that goes along with the more defined sketchbook, which I suppose is more useful to hand in ^^;;;
You're lucky you got other artists in your group though - I had mainly photographers with me and the guy that could draw didn't have the best work.
I gave mine in on Thursday also - I'm sure it will come this week I guess they cant send everyones in one go. :wink:
Yeah I felt the same way - the students at Camberwell are so nice too and I really debated between the two because I liked them both - but I chose Chelsea because of the rep and thought I may as well aim high cos I could still potentially end up at Camberwell.
And John was quite general I said to him 'how much more work should i do' and he said 'jus do more' which was quite frustrating but i've done my own project since then so i guess he kind of motivated me.:p:
They love crazy randomness but bare in mind that a lot of people will attempt this and if you haven't done it yet then i guess thats what foundations for - you have the commitment because you've done at least one course - so as long as you have the ideas you should be set. :biggrin:
xoxo
Reply 26
I also got a letter yesterday telling me I have an interview on the 18th february!

Hows everyone else doing?
Reply 27
da Vinci
I also got a letter yesterday telling me I have an interview on the 18th february!

Hows everyone else doing?

Oh, well done! :smile:

But now that just made me feel all worried again D;

Stupid Kingston and only giving me 4 days to sort my portfolio out ;=;
da Vinci
QUOTE]

do you know what time yours is - because 3 girls in my year have it on that day? :biggrin:

& how many people get an interview?
Reply 29
eeriikaa
Oh, well done! :smile:

But now that just made me feel all worried again D;

Stupid Kingston and only giving me 4 days to sort my portfolio out ;=;

Thanks :smile: and aw, I'm sure you can hear from them at any time really. Where else have you applied?
Reply 30
[QUOTE="DANdeLion5"]
da Vinci
QUOTE]

do you know what time yours is - because 3 girls in my year have it on that day? :biggrin:

& how many people get an interview?

Mine is at 10am on the 18th, when is yours? and your 3 friends? And I have no idea how many people get interviewed.
My friends are at the same time as you so do you think you will be in the group together since its 10 per session - or maybe they do loads of interviews on one go.
Mine is on the 16th but I'm not the earliest - another girl has hers on the 11th - so i don't quite know how they group us.
Reply 32
It's quite likely I reckon. It says the interview will consist of around students. I can't imagine more than 1 or 2 groups of 10 going on at the same time, maybe I'm wrong! Yeah it seems quite random on how they group us. Good luck! tell me how you get on.

Latest