The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
That's private health care. Just like restaurants one may be crap and one may be brilliant.
Nishil
That's private health care. Just like restaurants one may be crap and one may be brilliant.

Healthcare isn't a simple commodity like restaurants y'know...
s.e.r.e.n.e
No offense but the Bush explained it pretty clearly. The Republican party have a reputation for not liking immigrants. So if they don't like immigants, chances are they don't like me too. By extension, I cannot identify with the Republican party...

I mean, this is about health care. Why single out the illegals and bash them?

You never answered my question. Does NHS provide health care to illegal immigrants? Yes or no?

Afraid you might look foolish for criticizing the US for not covering so many people when your own country and many other countries with socialized medicine may have the same policy?
Made in the USA
You never answered my question. Does NHS provide health care to illegal immigrants? Yes or no?

Afraid you might look foolish for criticizing the US for not covering so many people when your own country and many other countries with socialized medicine may have the same policy?

No I don't think anybody is afraid of that, but I do think it's a little silly to pursue the 'illegal immigrant' angle when there are millions of other people in the USA without coverage who would have it under a universal system. Finding one area in which the two systems are alike doesn't make them the same.

To answer your question, I don't know precisely how much coverage illegals get over here but they do at least get emergency treatment on the NHS.
Captain Haddock
No I don't think anybody is afraid of that, but I do think it's a little silly to pursue the 'illegal immigrant' angle when there are millions of other people in the USA without coverage who would have it under a universal system. Finding one area in which the two systems are alike doesn't make them the same.

To answer your question, I don't know precisely how much coverage illegals get over here but they do at least get emergency treatment on the NHS.

I don't think there will ever be a universal system. The cost of "free healthcare" is too high and the US taxpayer is already up in arms over the taxes they pay as it is. Personally, I'm not interested in paying higher taxes so these people can have healthcare.
Made in the USA
I don't think there will ever be a universal system. The cost of "free healthcare" is too high and the US taxpayer is already up in arms over the taxes they pay as it is. Personally, I'm not interested in paying higher taxes so these people can have healthcare.

Americans already pay more taxes toward healthcare than any other country in the world.

US spending on healthcare per capita: $6347.0
UK spending on healthcare per capita: $2580.0

source:
http://stats.oecd.org/wbos/Index.aspx?DatasetCode=HEALTH

Not only do you pay more out of pocket than UHC countries, but you get shafted in taxes as well - all while leaving 45 milliion people out. Basically any argument about it being too expensive is a load of bull. You'd be paying less to cover more people.
Captain Haddock
Americans already pay more taxes toward healthcare than any other country in the world.

US spending on healthcare per capita: $6347.0
UK spending on healthcare per capita: $2580.0

source:
http://stats.oecd.org/wbos/Index.aspx?DatasetCode=HEALTH

Not only do you pay more out of pocket than UHC countries, but you get shafted in taxes as well - all while leaving 45 milliion people out. Basically any argument about it being too expensive is a load of bull. You'd be paying less to cover more people.

One of the reasons it is so expensive is because the country is lawsuit happy and every doctor must cover malpractice insurance which can easily cost over 100,000 dollars a year. Doctors need to pass the expense onto the patients. Unless the legal system is reformed, the costs are not going to be coming down anytime soon regardless of who is or isn't covered.
UHC would lower the burden of malpractice insurance because the doctor wouldn't be the one bearing the cost. And furthermore as you are still guaranteed treatment after the medical mistake has been made the need to file a lawsuit, to recover losses or otherwise, is reduced. The private system breeds lawsuits because it is inherently unequal, and there is no "standard" for healthcare. But I don't think it's all too significant anyway; according to here, malpractice insurance only takes up 3.2% of the average doctors salary.
Made in the USA

Apologies...
Made in the USA
One of the reasons it is so expensive is because the country is lawsuit happy and every doctor must cover malpractice insurance which can easily cost over 100,000 dollars a year. Doctors need to pass the expense onto the patients. Unless the legal system is reformed, the costs are not going to be coming down anytime soon regardless of who is or isn't covered.

So do you think the UK NHS system is working? There's considerable debate on this issue. Historically the conservatives (Tory) didn't support it but they do now since it seems to be working using comparable statistics.
s.e.r.e.n.e
So do you think the UK NHS system is working? There's considerable debate on this issue. Historically the conservatives (Tory) didn't support it but they do now since it seems to be working using comparable statistics.

When Americans need a quick example of bad healthcare, healthcare in Europe serves well; and vice-versa for Europeans. The Guardian is full of NHS horror stories, but I think it's pretty easy to take isolated cases and blow them out of proportion to sell newspapers.

I think NHS just as good and just as flawed as the healthcare systems in most other developed countries. There will never be a perfect system.
Made in the USA
When Americans need a quick example of bad healthcare, healthcare in Europe serves well; and vice-versa for Europeans. The Guardian is full of NHS horror stories, but I think it's pretty easy to take isolated cases and blow them out of proportion to sell newspapers.

I think NHS just as good and just as flawed as the healthcare systems in most other developed countries. There will never be a perfect system.

Fair enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending