The Student Room Group

Working at H&M - any experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
They called me to let me know i had an interview and the interview is the first stage. I don't know whether I have passed that one yet. And yeah, I used to work for Primark. I forgot to mention i like fashion which is a massive downfall and probably failed the interview becaause of that. daarnn ! but I will have to wait till friday and see
Reply 61
I got the jobs woop woop !!
Reply 62
I just got the job at H&M and have my induction in a few days, what sort of things did you do on your induction?
I have applied for the role of sales advisor online and I need to write a covering letter. I really want mine to stand out, currently it looks like a standard bland letter. Any pointers or advice would be appreciated. I have experience and have volunteered in 2 charity shops.

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 64
I feel like the cover letter is a formality, I doubt it really has thaat much of an impact on whether you get the job or not unless your tied with another candidate (but that's just my opinion)

Anyway, I focussed on my experience, how i can use my skills in the company and basically answering interview Qs in it "why h&m", "why should we hire you", "what can you bring to the company".

I got the job but my cover letter was nothing special to be honest. The interview is your time to shine (and basically repeat what you wrote)
Reply 65
Original post by Anna MC
I feel like the cover letter is a formality, I doubt it really has thaat much of an impact on whether you get the job or not unless your tied with another candidate (but that's just my opinion)

Anyway, I focussed on my experience, how i can use my skills in the company and basically answering interview Qs in it "why h&m", "why should we hire you", "what can you bring to the company".

I got the job but my cover letter was nothing special to be honest. The interview is your time to shine (and basically repeat what you wrote)

Could you run through what happened in your interview ASAP please
Reply 66
Original post by Rayrayy
Could you run through what happened in your interview ASAP please

Sure, I went to a recruitment centre type place, I went in and sat with 2 managers. From what I remember they asked:

Why do you want to work at H&M?

What do you know about H&M? (mention the background, competitors, designers they work with etc)

Can you give us an example of when you delivered excellent customer service?

What relevant experience do you have?

Why should we hire you?

What would you do if a customer came in looking for a specific dress for a wedding and we didn't have it?

Pick an object and sell it to me (The objects will be on the table from the beginning so if anything mentally pick one and plan ahead. I picked a pack of nail polishes and spoke about the price and basic "you can wear it to different occasions" type thing)

Then they just went through what that pay is and what will happen next. They didn't ask anything that would throw anyone off so if you prepare you'll be fine :smile: Good Luck
Reply 67
Original post by Anna MC
Sure, I went to a recruitment centre type place, I went in and sat with 2 managers. From what I remember they asked:

Why do you want to work at H&M?

What do you know about H&M? (mention the background, competitors, designers they work with etc)

Can you give us an example of when you delivered excellent customer service?

What relevant experience do you have?

Why should we hire you?

What would you do if a customer came in looking for a specific dress for a wedding and we didn't have it?

Pick an object and sell it to me (The objects will be on the table from the beginning so if anything mentally pick one and plan ahead. I picked a pack of nail polishes and spoke about the price and basic "you can wear it to different occasions" type thing)

Then they just went through what that pay is and what will happen next. They didn't ask anything that would throw anyone off so if you prepare you'll be fine :smile: Good Luck

Did you have any relevant experience?
Colour it in or give it a pretty border.
Reply 69
Original post by kingjulien
Did you have any relevant experience?

Sorry about the late reply.
I had a bit and i had worked at bars before so i just embellished it and focussed on any work i had done that involved helping customers, or voluntary work with helping people including school stuff (which they can't check *cough cough*).
So yeah, if you dont have any direct retail exp just talk about skills you have in general that would be relevant.

P.s for anyone lacking experience a good line to mention in a cover letter is "my lack of experience is not reflective of my ability" or any variation.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 70
So I get a call from H&M and they wanted a phone interview! I started freaking out but thankfully I passed that. But now I'm freaking out for the face-to-face interview which is next Saturday! Anyone had a interview recently? How were the questions like? And I won't be able to dress appropiately! My Primark shift ends at 2 and she set the interview for 2.15! So I'm going to have to go in my crappy black Primark clothes :frown:

Thanks in advance!
Reply 71
I got a call today as well. But I've been the tube, so need to call them back tomorrow. Can you or smb else tell which questions they will ask me through phone?
Original post by kal884
So I get a call from H&M and they wanted a phone interview! I started freaking out but thankfully I passed that. But now I'm freaking out for the face-to-face interview which is next Saturday! Anyone had a interview recently? How were the questions like? And I won't be able to dress appropiately! My Primark shift ends at 2 and she set the interview for 2.15! So I'm going to have to go in my crappy black Primark clothes :frown:

Thanks in advance!

Black clothes are fine, you'll look smart and professional, take something in your bag that has a quirky edge and fit in with H&M brand, so like a scarf, hairbands, acessories are your best friend. It'll save you time on getting changed.
I've found all interviews are pretty much the same, my most recent one i was asked to sell a garment (always check the washing instructions, and think outside the box) Just answer honestly, dont make things up so its natural. Dont freak out, just be confident and if you can try and make the interviewer laugh- shows your laid back and confident and sets up a rappor with them. The key is to remember customer service. I dont know if primark has a system/steps to selling but the general thing to remember is; Greet- with a friendly hello, choice- offer your assistance, give them a choice of products and help them find them, Fitting room- they go to the fitting room where you can assist and overcome objections (alternative style or compliments) then you upsell to increase the ammount of products in the transaction thus improving store figures, then you take them to the till tell them the returns policy and bid them a good day. If they see you can sell and have customer service skills they'll snap you up!
Reply 73
Original post by VoVaN37
I got a call today as well. But I've been the tube, so need to call them back tomorrow. Can you or smb else tell which questions they will ask me through phone?

Theyre gna ask what times you can work and days, and where you work, and then the 2 most important questions; 1. What do you like about h&m?. 2. Why do you wanna work for H&M?

I thought I messed it up, to answer the first question, i said oh its clean compared to where i work...
But it got me the face-to-face interview so I mustve said something right!
Reply 74
Original post by xolauren_amyxox
Black clothes are fine, you'll look smart and professional, take something in your bag that has a quirky edge and fit in with H&M brand, so like a scarf, hairbands, acessories are your best friend. It'll save you time on getting changed.
I've found all interviews are pretty much the same, my most recent one i was asked to sell a garment (always check the washing instructions, and think outside the box) Just answer honestly, dont make things up so its natural. Dont freak out, just be confident and if you can try and make the interviewer laugh- shows your laid back and confident and sets up a rappor with them. The key is to remember customer service. I dont know if primark has a system/steps to selling but the general thing to remember is; Greet- with a friendly hello, choice- offer your assistance, give them a choice of products and help them find them, Fitting room- they go to the fitting room where you can assist and overcome objections (alternative style or compliments) then you upsell to increase the ammount of products in the transaction thus improving store figures, then you take them to the till tell them the returns policy and bid them a good day. If they see you can sell and have customer service skills they'll snap you up!

I'd actually wouldnt mind doing that!^ Doing something practical during the interview would be awesome! But I hate the questions!
Reply 75
Yeah, I already had a telephone interview and on Saturday a face to face interview. I was quite nervous and some of the questions were quite tricky. If I could rate my interview from 1 to 10(10 being the best) I would say I got 7.
One thing that I truly liked was the salary! It was £7 per hour and 7.80 in 3 months.
Well I hope they will take me)

kal884, what about your interview? How it went? Which store it is?
How long was it after you applied that you got your interview (i'm just waiting to hear back that's all)

ANYWAY, i've previously had a job at H&M and the interview was fine, was more of a friendly chat tbf. They want to know if you can work as part of a team. They ask if you could use one word to describe yourself what would it be.

General interview questions.

One thing is that make sure you get the point across you can work as part of a team the H&M motto is like "we are one team" also RESEARCH THE COMPANY that helps loads too.
Reply 77
Original post by VoVaN37
Yeah, I already had a telephone interview and on Saturday a face to face interview. I was quite nervous and some of the questions were quite tricky. If I could rate my interview from 1 to 10(10 being the best) I would say I got 7.
One thing that I truly liked was the salary! It was £7 per hour and 7.80 in 3 months.
Well I hope they will take me)

kal884, what about your interview? How it went? Which store it is?

What were the questions like for the face-to-face interview? And is it just one person who interviews you? I'm going to freak if there's 2! And woah! £7 per hour and then £7.80 after 3 months! Thats brilliant!

My interview is this Saturday, the one in Bham City Centre, Pavillions. I'd like to work there rather than the H&M in the Bullring, that one is always packed out! Pavillions one is smaller so it isnt quite so busy. What about yours? Let me know what they say!
Reply 78
Original post by Maccabees
How long was it after you applied that you got your interview (i'm just waiting to hear back that's all)

ANYWAY, i've previously had a job at H&M and the interview was fine, was more of a friendly chat tbf. They want to know if you can work as part of a team. They ask if you could use one word to describe yourself what would it be.

General interview questions.

One thing is that make sure you get the point across you can work as part of a team the H&M motto is like "we are one team" also RESEARCH THE COMPANY that helps loads too.

I think they contacted me after 3 weeks or so. Had the phone interview last Wednesday and my face-to-face interview is this Saturday. I was trying so hard not to scream with joy down the phone, I honestly thought that I'd messed up the phone interview with my ridiculous answers lol.

One word to describe yourself? What was your answer to that? :confused:

Ok, cool. Yeh, in the 2 interviews I've had before I've always mentioned that I can work as part of a team but if required I can work on my own too. And yeh, theres few posts about H&M interviews/jobs on here and they've all said research loads on the company. Thanks a ton!
Original post by kal884
I think they contacted me after 3 weeks or so. Had the phone interview last Wednesday and my face-to-face interview is this Saturday. I was trying so hard not to scream with joy down the phone, I honestly thought that I'd messed up the phone interview with my ridiculous answers lol.

One word to describe yourself? What was your answer to that? :confused:

Ok, cool. Yeh, in the 2 interviews I've had before I've always mentioned that I can work as part of a team but if required I can work on my own too. And yeh, theres few posts about H&M interviews/jobs on here and they've all said research loads on the company. Thanks a ton!

I said I was reliable. That was my word to describe myself.

Haha I have my interview tomorrow, I hope it goes well considering I've worked for H&M for a year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending