The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

einszweipolizei
Yep, cos human rights are a man's thing, and breasts are a girl's thing. Smart point there, mate. I'll know not to take any of your points to mean anything from now on, then.

Please do that.
Reply 181
einszweipolizei
Yeah, ya see, I'm not pissed off though. I just pity you and your archaic views a lot.

I'm not a chauvinist...

I like to see myself as an egalitarian.
Indievertigo
Sadly self-respect and feminism rarely coincide.

Yep. Yesterday I tarted myself up and went to the shop. Then I got my breasts out so they'd give me a free bottle of Lambrini. Then I went and had sex with a man who said he loved me, but he ended up just wanting me for sex. I felt sad because I do so much to make mysel look nice, and yet I still can't find a guy to tell me I'm worth it. Then I came home and thought about how little of a feminist I am.

YEP, GOTTA SAY, THESE ANTI-FEMINISTS, THEY'RE ONTO SOMETHING.

The shame is, it's probably some manipulative guy's penis.
Reply 183
Flic89
Very stuck in the past! Enraging to watch it haha

The bright side is people are campaigning against it apparently. Want details PM me

xxx

Hey Flic, it's almost as if mainst. media is testing how far they can push it.
This ad just signals to me society's attempt to actually take attitudes back to the 50s, why I was so sadenned to see it. Virgin is just so huge, it's like telling society as a whole womens' place in no uncertain concrete terms. I was very shocked! :sigh:
MSB
It's disgraceful. How can they portray men as being so obsessed with attractive women like that? It's so sexist it's unbelievable. I mean, some men are gay, for a start.

Haha....

The ad - Its the kind of thing my mother would take offense at, but it is quite funny and clearly intended to be so.
I don't really think it's very sexist at all, I think there's been much worse around. I appreciate that it may concern some though.
dreiviergrenadier
*sigh*

Check out some sexual assault statistics, like i recommended earlier. Then tell me it's unnecessary.

Sexual assaults happen - feminism isn't going to change that. Nothing will change that sadly.
Reply 187
Sexism isn't always intended to be insulting i should add.

Im a magician...sort of :P and everyone will know how most magicians usually have a very sexy eye catching assistant? Sexist to some yes? but trust me theres a reason there always so eye catching :wink:
Reply 188
einszweipolizei
Yep. Yesterday I tarted myself up and went to the shop. Then I got my breasts out so they'd give me a free bottle of Lambrini. Then I went and had sex with a man who said he loved me, but he ended up just wanting me for sex. I felt sad because I do so much to make mysel look nice, and yet I still can't find a guy to tell me I'm worth it. Then I came home and thought about how little of a feminist I am.

Tehe, i believe you refer to female chauvs :p:

xxx
Reply 189
chaseside
Did no one else find this advert unbelievably sexist? :frown:

I guess it's a sign feminism is really losing out, we're regressing way beyond the 90s. Irony, a joke - I say cowardly and not on!

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/crblog/virgin-still-sexist/

No. Now back to the kitchen, please.
PhilMc
No. Now back to the kitchen, please.

Dude, that's far too late to even be in the running for the 'I'm the least imaginitive, most sexist joke-maker' award. Gutted.
Paxdax
See, you're branding the entire male population as rapists, woman-beaters, etc.

**** you.

Yep, that's what i'm doing :eyeball:

I'm actually pointing out that feminism is not unnecessary. However, i'll humour you. I would suggest that when men degrade women, and objectify them, and suggest that their 'empowerment' is conditional upon the attraction of men then they inflict psychological harm upon them. You might not consider this analogous to women-beating, but it is certainly a lot more pervasive, and a lot longer lasting.

Similarly, every time a man lies to a woman to 'get into her pants' it could be rape. Several academics argue just that. So yes, a lot of men could classified as rapists.

However, what you're doing is ignoring the evidence, and missing the point. Women deserve better than this.
I don't understand how people can say this is sexist in anyway?

The point of the advert is to show that something new, exciting and fresh came has come along in dreary and dull times, hence the mention of the miners strike and them draining the colour out of the shots
einszweipolizei

You see, you've created that picture yourself - I didn't say a word, and you, a feminist have created that yourself. Wasn't me.

Why do you automatically assume when I said self-respect I meant sexually? Self-respect doesn't just mean you don't go about acting like a slut, however much you seem to think it does.
Reply 194
This message is hidden because PhilMc is on your ignore list.

dreiviergrenadier, thanks you're articulating everything I want to say!
Reply 195
Yeah. Pretty sexist.
Reply 196
einszweipolizei
Dude, that's far too late to even be in the running for the 'I'm the least imaginitive, most sexist joke-maker' award. Gutted.

I take it you're just going to ignore my questions?

That alone tells me everything I need to know.
Indievertigo
You see, you've created that picture yourself - I didn't say a word, and you, a feminist have created that yourself. Wasn't me.

Why do you automatically assume when I said self-respect I meant sexually? Self-respect doesn't just mean you don't go about acting like a slut, however much you seem to think it does.

We are two different sexes. Gender politics has everything to do with sex. I don't look down on women who have several partners; I look down on a society that makes them feel they must use their bodies to be loved and accepted.
Reply 198
Indievertigo

Feminists are usually the ones with self- respect was what i think she was trying to say. Makes sense, Loud, laddish, strip- all girls are the ones who try to be men and encourage their behaviour, seeing nothing wrong with it.
Reply 199
dreiviergrenadier
Women should not be empowered by the standards of men (i.e. sexual attraction). They should be empowered by virtue of being people, who deserve respect as much as anyone else. If men are not empowered by their attractiveness, why should women be?

Men are empowered by their income and spending power. Until men bare children or we grow babies in labs, women will allways be behind in that area for practical reasons (even if you dont count the way current maternity leave laws make hiring women a massive risk).

On the other hand men are generally more motivated by their sex drives then women, hence advertisers exploiting this when aiming at a male market. Advertisers manipulate men by dangling sex in front of them like a carrot, which is insulting to both sexes but women use the same idea (usually more subtly) all the time.

Latest

Trending

Trending