The Student Room Group

Superdrug!

Hi everone!

Firstly, I am sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I would like to get part time employment at superdrug (Saturday and sunday afternoons in possible) as a sales assistent and I was wondering if people could tell me more about what the job involves, what the pay is roughly etc.

I have looked at the website, although that of course is the "official we are perfect infomation", I would like to know real peoples experiances good or bad.

Also, what is the training and the recruitment progress like.
Many thanks!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I have a friend who works there and he is adamant it's 'slave labour'. It depends on the branch and other staff though, of course :smile: Minimum wage for sales assistants, standard till training..
Super_Mignon
I have a friend who works there and he is adamant it's 'slave labour'. It depends on the branch and other staff though, of course :smile: Minimum wage for sales assistants, standard till training..

Ok, thanks, what IS the minimum wage by the way (17 year old)

And also does anyone know what the next level up is, as it were, and if it is possible to enter straight into there.

For peoples info, if it may help them guide me,
im considering business at uni.
im 17,

took 9 gcses 2008, A-B
taking 4 As,
Hist
Spanish
philos and ethics
psychology

doing a btec first diploma in public services

previous work experiance:
volunteer at a musuem
2 weeks at a primary school
babysitting
volunteering at horse club

HM Revenue website sayyyys
£5.73 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older
A development rate of £4.77 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive
£3.53 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age.
Reply 4
I have quite a few friends who work at a small branch of Superdrug, and they quite like it. They get to do a mixture of jobs (till, stocking etc) and can chat whilst working. My 17-year-old friend gets something like £5.50 an hour.
I don't think you'd get much further than a sales assistant at 17, especially at the weekends...
Reply 6
I've always found Superdrug staff to be quite rude, so just make sure you aren't like that! I'm sure you won't be :smile:
Thanks guys!

£3.53 an hour?

thats awful!

I think I will send a letter asking for an application form, it doesnt hurt to apply at least. they may not be looking for anyone.

Does anyone, know anyhting about their training schemes, like NVQ's etc
thanks
xx
Also, i would be able to work more in my school holidays

And Angelil, i wont be rude, im not a rude person! lol haha, well at least i try not to be!
I worked in Superdrug as a 'Saturday Girl' :biggrin: for two years. I loved it. The people were all really friendly and I got to do a variety of different jobs once I had been there for a month or so.

The pay is admittedly quite poor at the start. But once I had been there 3 months I got my 10% discount and a pay rise.

Jobs include things like, till work, shelf stacking, stock, customer service and sales, displays...

For me it fit perfectly alongside college and I was able to get more hours in the holidays and on bank holidays.

Good luck :biggrin:
sparkly_woo
I worked in Superdrug as a 'Saturday Girl' :biggrin: for two years. I loved it. The people were all really friendly and I got to do a variety of different jobs once I had been there for a month or so.

The pay is admittedly quite poor at the start. But once I had been there 3 months I got my 10% discount and a pay rise.

Jobs include things like, till work, shelf stacking, stock, customer service and sales, displays...

For me it fit perfectly alongside college and I was able to get more hours in the holidays and on bank holidays.

Good luck :biggrin:

Thanks, a lot, that was really helpful!

just needto contact my local store now for an application form then wait lol
any other people's experiances of superdrug also apriecated good or bad!

thanks
...if you really want a saturday job, i advise applying to more than one store...
suicidal_dream
...if you really want a saturday job, i advise applying to more than one store...

Thanks, but i am only able to get to one store!
Reply 13
Hi, I work in a Superdrug store so here is the information you are looking for:

The wages are the same for everyone.. it doesnt matter how old you are. this is good if you are younger. you will start on 5.73 (more around London) - but you can increase your wage by completing a booklet called retail academy - 15p per hour more per level of retail acadamy (1, 2 and 3). pharmacists get paid more, management positions get paid a salary.

In terms of work, you dont really have to do much... stand on the tills sometimes, fill the shelves or the make-up stands sometimes, make the shelves look tidy at the end of the day... its dead easy and you can just mess around.

The company is ****, and thats why its so good to work for them... They are so disorganized. Once you have worked for them for a while you will understand where im coming from.

When you have an interview just pretend to be interested in the products (try and name a few). They are usually looking for good knolage of the products and an interest. They will then ask you to go onto the shop floor and fill a worksheet out. You have to ask the other staff a few questions n things like that... its a bit **** but you should be ok.

Good luck.
CoLStaR
Hi, I work in a Superdrug store so here is the information you are looking for:

The wages are the same for everyone.. it doesnt matter how old you are. this is good if you are younger. you will start on 5.73 (more around London) - but you can increase your wage by completing a booklet called retail academy - 15p per hour more per level of retail acadamy (1, 2 and 3). pharmacists get paid more, management positions get paid a salary.

In terms of work, you dont really have to do much... stand on the tills sometimes, fill the shelves or the make-up stands sometimes, make the shelves look tidy at the end of the day... its dead easy and you can just mess around.

The company is ****, and thats why its so good to work for them... They are so disorganized. Once you have worked for them for a while you will understand where im coming from.

When you have an interview just pretend to be interested in the products (try and name a few). They are usually looking for good knolage of the products and an interest. They will then ask you to go onto the shop floor and fill a worksheet out. You have to ask the other staff a few questions n things like that... its a bit **** but you should be ok.

Good luck.

OOOOOOOOOOO. thank you :0

That was really helpful!
I don't even know if my local store is recruiting but i thought i might as well send in a letter asking for a application form ( im too scared to go in my self to ask one) .

That is really helpfull about the interview and stuff. I just want a job really, i don't know what I want to do at degree level, so i may as well get a general job for example something focused.

Thank you very much for that infomation!

=D =D
Why just Superdrug? Isn't there anywhere else you can apply for a Weekend job? Tesco, Sainsbury's, WHSmith, HMV, Carphone Warehouse etc. etc. etc.
newboyintown
Why just Superdrug? Isn't there anywhere else you can apply for a Weekend job? Tesco, Sainsbury's, WHSmith, HMV, Carphone Warehouse etc. etc. etc.

Parents won't let me get a job in a supermarket.
Did think about smiths but i dno, and my town is ***** and it doesnt have anything like HMV or carphone warehouse - to my knowledge!

:smile:
Hey, I currently work at a relatively small Superdrug and have been there for 11 months now.
First off, before I applied I did what you're doing, asking people online, and it couldn't have been more wrong!
I applied (when I was 16) on the Monday, had my interview on Thursday, and by the following Monday I did my first full day, starting on £5.72 per hour.
After 3 months you get your 10% of all products, plus 20% off S/D own products.
After 2 months my pay rose and I am now on £5.99.
My manager is very relaxed and I find I can work extremely flexibly, and it's great.

Training only includes learning the ropes on the tills, and everything else is a "get stuck in" jobbie until you get it. But it's not hard to get the hang of... Filling up, stock, deliveries, etc.

Obviously your enjoyment of the job is largely based on the people you work with, but if you don't get on with someone, just start filling up when they walk past! Otherwise, it is quite relaxed and we're free to chat.

Breaks are also great, as there are enough people working on a Saturday to be able to just go and say "is it ok for me to go on my lunch?" to a supervisor, as and when... At our branch anyway.

Hope I've helped,
Kelly
DangerMouse678
Hey, I currently work at a relatively small Superdrug and have been there for 11 months now.
First off, before I applied I did what you're doing, asking people online, and it couldn't have been more wrong!
I applied (when I was 16) on the Monday, had my interview on Thursday, and by the following Monday I did my first full day, starting on £5.72 per hour.
After 3 months you get your 10% of all products, plus 20% off S/D own products.
After 2 months my pay rose and I am now on £5.99.
My manager is very relaxed and I find I can work extremely flexibly, and it's great.

Training only includes learning the ropes on the tills, and everything else is a "get stuck in" jobbie until you get it. But it's not hard to get the hang of... Filling up, stock, deliveries, etc.

Obviously your enjoyment of the job is largely based on the people you work with, but if you don't get on with someone, just start filling up when they walk past! Otherwise, it is quite relaxed and we're free to chat.

Breaks are also great, as there are enough people working on a Saturday to be able to just go and say "is it ok for me to go on my lunch?" to a supervisor, as and when... At our branch anyway.

Hope I've helped,
Kelly

Thanks Kelly!

That was helpful =D

Im a bit worried, as I sent off a letter asking them to send me an letter of applciation a week ago, and I still havn't had a reply :frown:

I didn want to go in the store to get one, because im shy and if they didnt have any jobs, I didnt want to be laughed at or anything. :/

Thanks again :smile:
If you don't get an application form from them, just go into the store and ask to speak to the manager and ask if they have any part time job vacancies. They'll appreciate you going in personally. If they say no, just ask if you can leave your CV with them and ask them to contact you if there are any openings. At our branch we keep CVs for up to 6 months so it's worth doing.
I only got my application form after my interview anyway and was told to bring it back the next day, probably so that they can get to know people first rather than be overloaded with impersonal forms.
After all, if you get the job, you're going to be working with these people, and if they laugh at you, which I highly doubt they will, they don't sound like great people to work with. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending