The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I went with them to Peru once. The homestay was great, they gave lots of support, and they were really friendly throughout the process. Only complaint is that it is quite expensive - like any gap-year company they charge a lot more than the actual price of the activity. If you're going to travel with a company then I'd highly recommend i-to-i. They were so lovely, really well organised and very supportive. However I'd strongly advocate travelling alone, unless you actually want to work in an orphanage, conservation project etc and stay in a homestay.
Reply 2
Llamaaa
However I'd strongly advocate travelling alone,

Brilliant thankyou, but why would you recommend travelling alone?
Reply 3
deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
T-o dore
Brilliant thankyou, but why would you recommend travelling alone?

This is my point of view about travelling alone rather than through companies - why are the company there, to make money. You can do pretty much exactly the same for much cheaper. I guess having a 'company' would give you peace of mind, but if you prepare enough you shouldnt need it.
Reply 5
Coca-Colita
I was looking at them when I wanted to go on gap year and I find them way too expensive. I found some similar companies and they were cheaper, can't say about the support and stay as I didn't travel with them. Just ask yourself whether you are willing to spend so much money...

The thing is theres this one thing that they do which looks amazing, and I cant find anything like it anywhere else (theatre and education in Jaipur, India)... so I'll probably do one or two things with them, and travel alone for some of it.

About money, im going to work full or overtime for 5 or 6 months before hand, with no need to spend anything exept on travel, so I should have a lot.
Reply 6
erk
This is my point of view about travelling alone rather than through companies - why are the company there, to make money. You can do pretty much exactly the same for much cheaper. I guess having a 'company' would give you peace of mind, but if you prepare enough you shouldnt need it.

But surely going to a homestay will be cheaper than a hotel, even a hostel?

For something like getting a diving qualification, or going to a martial arts school, I would defo do that alone because it would probably save money.
Reply 7
The money you pay doesn't go directly to the homestay. For instance, when I went with them to Peru for 1 month, I paid about £800. Of that £100 went to the project I worked one, while my homestay was paid £200 for having me and feeding me twice a day for a month. The rest of the money went to the company I presume. £200 is about the right amount in Peru for that many meals and the rent of a room, but it still seems a bit mean to only give the homestay that much money. It does work out cheaper doing it on your own even if you stay in hostels. However, I was happy to pay extra for safety- it was my first time going over there, and it was scary so I was happy to have a whole support network around me. If you're more confident then you don't need that so much.

Having said that, if they have a particular experience that you want to do with them, then go for it. Chances are you can't do it independently :biggrin:
Reply 8
Llamaaa
The money you pay doesn't go directly to the homestay. For instance, when I went with them to Peru for 1 month, I paid about £800. Of that £100 went to the project I worked one, while my homestay was paid £200 for having me and feeding me twice a day for a month. The rest of the money went to the company I presume. £200 is about the right amount in Peru for that many meals and the rent of a room, but it still seems a bit mean to only give the homestay that much money. It does work out cheaper doing it on your own even if you stay in hostels. However, I was happy to pay extra for safety- it was my first time going over there, and it was scary so I was happy to have a whole support network around me. If you're more confident then you don't need that so much.

Having said that, if they have a particular experience that you want to do with them, then go for it. Chances are you can't do it independently :biggrin:

hmmm how would I go about arranging stuff like homestays and volunteering in schools by myself? I think I'll end up doing it with a company... at least for some of it.
I really wouldn't. Like, really.

I to I charge you exponentially for something you'd get alot cheaper doing it another way. And, this is just personal, but the idea of paying to do voluntery work just undermines what you're really there for. Furthermore, from what I'm aware ,I to I is owned by a travel company (I think it's First Fhoice)...they're not designed for phillantropy, it's all about capitalising on the naivity and supposed altruism of 18/19 year olds.

If you want some security whilst going travelling and doing some voluntary work, I'd check out original volunteers. Yeh, you're paying for it but it's a hella lot cheaper....I had a look on the site and remember one of them was just £40 a week and I think that's inclusive of accomodation and MAYBE food, though I'm not sure.
I to I is expensive, in my opinion, and they have no justification for it being so expensive. The concept of paying to volunteer is ridiculous. You can tell that they make a hell of a lot of money out of people simply because of how fancy their website is and how much crap they send out in advertising. I must recieve something every month or so from them as I signed up to a gap year site once, and they got my details through them. As Llamaaa pointed out, the amount of money you spend isn't directly spent on the project you do. I'm just trying to find out online a breakdown of their project costs (as in where your money goes) as it seems the good companies and charities do tell you what they spend your money on. I to I just seems like a glorified travel agent aimed at students who don't know any better and want the security of a fancy website to make them feel okay about it all. They're a company at the end of the day and they're there to make money.

What part of the world are you wanting to go to? As a lot of people on here have sorted out their own placements and volunteering and will be able to suggest places or websites to you.

I think you'd have a much more anthropological experience (in terms of life, your PS, and just in general) doing it independently and getting away from someone to hold your hand all of the time, where you'd know that what you were doing was worth it and the community really were benefiting from you giving your time. On the I to I website it says that they don't give the groups they work with money, they just provide them with your volunteering time. Which is all well and good, but why should I to I get £1000 or whatever out of that?
I'm going away with i-to-i and have found them incredibly supportive. Yes the money you are paying doesn't all go to the country but you are also paying to have someone research and find the projects, someone to chat to you, someone to be on hand always in the UK to help you out in a tough spot as well as several in-country coordinators. I'm travelling by myself after doing a couple of volunteer projects and think it's a really good way to settle in and get your bearings. It's a relief to know that on your first day someone will come and meet you at the airport and pick you up and what have you. I'm sure that solo travel is great once your a little used to it but for many gap years are their first time being truly independent and I have found i-to-i so far really great.
Also, i-to-i does have a charity arm which does give to the projects, it just doesn't give one off money payments which wouldn't necessarily help it give things (school equipment for example) that may be needed.
If money isn't going to be a big issue and you can afford it, go for it. Just don't use their insurance as it's a complete rip off! Probably where i-to-i make most of their money!!

Good luck and have fun!

Latest