The Student Room Group

Can I apply through clearing if I’m on a gap year.

I didnt do as well as I wanted, last year so took a gap year. I know some friends who applied through clearing with similar results and they got into some good uni, I didn’t try through clearing, Now im wondering if I did the same this year and tried to get into a better uni by applying through clearing would this be allowed? Are the chances I get in lower as my grades were from last year. Thanks.
Original post by Alex071
I didnt do as well as I wanted, last year so took a gap year. I know some friends who applied through clearing with similar results and they got into some good uni, I didn’t try through clearing, Now im wondering if I did the same this year and tried to get into a better uni by applying through clearing would this be allowed? Are the chances I get in lower as my grades were from last year. Thanks.

The fact that you've written "if I did the same this year and tried to get into a better uni" makes your post a little confusing. You mentioned that "I didnt do as well as I wanted". Is that what you mean by "the same". So you're retaking some exams? Have you applied to uni for this year too? Does "a better uni" mean you have offers, just at "worse" unis.

If you're not holding an offer or a deferred place then you can apply via UCAS Clearing, once it opens on 5th July. However, there's no need to wait until then. You can apply now via UCAS Extra.

The fact that your grades are from last year will make no difference.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The fact that you've written "if I did the same this year and tried to get into a better uni" makes your post a little confusing. You mentioned that "I didnt do as well as I wanted". Is that what you mean by "the same". So you're retaking some exams? Have you applied to uni for this year too? Does "a better uni" mean you have offers, just at "worse" unis.
If you're not holding an offer or a deferred place then you can apply via UCAS Clearing, once it opens on 5th July. However, there's no need to wait until then. You can apply now via UCAS Extra.
The fact that your grades are from last year will make no difference.

Hi sorry, apologises I definitely could’ve wrote that better, I didn’t try to apply last year through clearing. When I said I said the “same” I meant it like, if I did the same as my friends and they had succes by going through clearing. And no I haven’t applied to anything also meaning no offers. But your response answered both my questions, thank you so much 😌
Original post by Alex071
Hi sorry, apologises I definitely could’ve wrote that better, I didn’t try to apply last year through clearing. When I said I said the “same” I meant it like, if I did the same as my friends and they had succes by going through clearing. And no I haven’t applied to anything also meaning no offers. But your response answered both my questions, thank you so much 😌

You're welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest