The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Harmonium
The official Heinemann BMAT book is also (imo) easier than the real thing, but it's far more representative than the purple one. The essays though are well worth practicing, getting a good score can add some nice bulk to your BMAT total :smile: There's also another BMAT/UKCAT book, called "BMAT and UKCAT uncovered", that's also much better than the purple one.

I just realised, you should get a medal or something for preparing for the exams this early lol. I only revised about a week or two beforehand :p:

Oh cool, thank's so cool! =d I'll check them out when the "evil" things (i.e. exams, coursewrks and etc) are finished. =)

Lol, I'm not actually preparing for it yet, just flicking through different books (stole that purple one off my friend...hehe) purely out fo interest. =) But just out of interest, is it bad to start BMAT revision early? o__O? (As I'm planning to start once my UCAS application stuff are done in yr13. =D).

@piece_by_piece:
I know!!! >__< But everyone are in the same boat so don't worry! We still have a long long way to go until the exam! =D
When the time comes, we will start a new BMAT encouraging thread thing(or bombard the old one.xD) and cheer everyone on!
I'm sure you'll be fine though! I know you will be awesome when the time comes. =) (p/s. so, are you now sure of doing medicine? I remember you couldn't decide between it and english or something during GCSEs. =)).
Reply 81
Nimbus
Oh cool, thank's so cool! =d I'll check them out when the "evil" things (i.e. exams, coursewrks and etc) are finished. =)

Lol, I'm not actually preparing for it yet, just flicking through different books (stole that purple one off my friend...hehe) purely out fo interest. =) But just out of interest, is it bad to start BMAT revision early? o__O? (As I'm planning to start once my UCAS application stuff are done in yr13. =D).

As with everything, luck favours the prepared mind and the BMAT is no exception! I imagine the earlier you start to prepare the more you'd be able to improve your own "personal best". Having said that, there are limited practice materials available - remember you'd be wise to save some unseen things for closer to the test. I went through GCSE Physics because I hadn't done it for over a year by the time of the BMAT.

:yep:
Reply 82
Nimbus

@piece_by_piece:
I know!!! >__< But everyone are in the same boat so don't worry! We still have a long long way to go until the exam! =D
When the time comes, we will start a new BMAT encouraging thread thing(or bombard the old one.xD) and cheer everyone on!
I'm sure you'll be fine though! I know you will be awesome when the time comes. =) (p/s. so, are you now sure of doing medicine? I remember you couldn't decide between it and english or something during GCSEs. =)).

the BMAT syllabus is provided on the BMAT website. Whether you want to start ploughing through it now or later is up to you.

Ideally though, i'm sure you know of this, don't worry about BMAT so much you prioritise it over your AS exams. Ace them so you can relax (a bit) at A2.
Reply 83
Harmonium
As with everything, luck favours the prepared mind and the BMAT is no exception! I imagine the earlier you start to prepare the more you'd be able to improve your own "personal best". Having said that, there are limited practice materials available - remember you'd be wise to save some unseen things for closer to the test. I went through GCSE Physics because I hadn't done it for over a year by the time of the BMAT.

:yep:

Hmm, I see. I guess it doesn't hurt to dig out my old GCSE stuff when I have time, right (even if they're covered by spiderwebs/dusts..=P)?
I see! I sure will save the last one for oct/nov. =D Thanks a lot for the advise! ^__^

motiv3
the BMAT syllabus is provided on the BMAT website. Whether you want to start ploughing through it now or later is up to you.

Ideally though, i'm sure you know of this, don't worry about BMAT so much you prioritise it over your AS exams. Ace them so you can relax (a bit) at A2.

Yeah! That's one of the reasons holding me back from ploughing into the BMAT revision. I just hope I can motivate myself to study a bit in the summer (bcos I usually don't..). :p:
Glad to know to hear! I'm definitely going to try and beef up my AS marks so I can relax (aka slack .XD) a bit at A2. =) Thank you!!~~
Nimbus

@piece_by_piece:

Yes, fingers crossed! I'm trying to steer away from the BMAT though, I'd rather apply to universities that don't require it. I'm positive now that medicine is what I want to do. My work experience erased many of the doubts that I had about medicine, but nevertheless I still doubt myself sometimes. I suppose that's natural thought and happens to most people :tongue:
Reply 85
piece_by_piece
Yes, fingers crossed! I'm trying to steer away from the BMAT though, I'd rather apply to universities that don't require it. I'm positive now that medicine is what I want to do. My work experience erased many of the doubts that I had about medicine, but nevertheless I still doubt myself sometimes. I suppose that's natural thought and happens to most people :tongue:

Woot!! Welcome back to the lovely medicine world! =)
I know what you mean but at least give it a go? You're too modest at times and I'm sure you've got more than what it takes to ace the test. =)
A friend who applied for this year was also about nervous about the BMAT(she cried at the end of the test..) and then came out with some awesome marks! =D So don't turn away! =D You'll never know...

And definitely, it's good sign that you're doubting, showing that you're taking this seriously and thinking hard about it. I'm doubting about it sometimes too but always come back to the conclusion that it's what I really want to do. =)

I'm actually really excited now, despite of knowing the scary stuff like BMAT that are awaiting there in the future. o__o).
Reply 86
Nimbus
Woot!! Welcome back to the lovely medicine world! =)
I know what you mean but at least give it a go? You're too modest at times and I'm sure you've got more than what it takes to ace the test. =)
A friend who applied for this year was also about nervous about the BMAT(she cried at the end of the test..) and then came out with some awesome marks! =D So don't turn away! =D You'll never know...

And definitely, it's good sign that you're doubting, showing that you're taking this seriously and thinking hard about it. I'm doubting about it sometimes too but always come back to the conclusion that it's what I really want to do. =)

I'm actually really excited now, despite of knowing the scary stuff like BMAT that are awaiting there in the future. o__o).

its exciting upto the time you submit it. Then it gets horribly boring. Time is prioritised on preparing for interviews and you realise you've fallen behind in class work. At A2 this is bad. Then you come back to terms with A2 work only to find another interview and the process repeats.
I'm kinda bricking about the UKCAT. I know some Univercities put quite alot of pressure on it, I did the pracitse timed UKCAT test off the website and some of the questions where insane >.> It didn't give a mark at the end though which kinda sucked. I've done a few IQ tests and only got like 125, which is like average, so I'm not sure. My GCSEs are kinda averageish too, 3xA*s, 5xAs 2xBs 1xC (Short course compulsory Welsh, highest possible was a C)

I guess my strongest point atm is extra-curric.
I'm a production technition and manage shows for the school, such as building props, running lighting and sound co-ordinating stage directions etc.
I do a few days in time off school at a learning disability work center every half/full term.
I do two hours every Thursday with learning disability people doing some activities, giving them something to get them out of the house
I teach year 7s to read in my school twice a week
I host a place for younger kids in my school getting bullied to go once a week, to have a chat and just hang out
I'm mid way through my DoE Silver
I'm Currently fundraising to send myself to climb mount kenya and then do some work in schools out there in july 2010.
I've got one weeks work experience in UHW and I'm trying to get some time with my G.P, I've got a weeks work XP in a vets, and another week in a lab. I still feel as if there could be more I could be doing though. Outside interests are I'm heavily into computers, I built my first comp aged 14, and maintain my house network and server. I read new scientist and read alot of books, specificaly stephen king and stephen leather.

I still think even after all this I might just not make the cut on grades though. My teachers think I can definatly get 3As at A level and another A at AS. So we'll see :smile:.
Hmm, I don't really have medicine-related work experience yet, just boring stuff like working as an interpreter and at McDonald's. I do have something planned for the summer though :smile:
A fellow Mcdonalds worker! :biggrin:. I'm contemplating asking my manager if they'll sponsor me and donate some money with regards to the kenya thing. Medicine work XP is really hard to get over here due to Health and Safety, hence alot of mine is volenteer work instead.
Reply 90
RollerBall
I'm kinda bricking about the UKCAT. I know some Univercities put quite alot of pressure on it, I did the pracitse timed UKCAT test off the website and some of the questions where insane >.> It didn't give a mark at the end though which kinda sucked. I've done a few IQ tests and only got like 125, which is like average, so I'm not sure. My GCSEs are kinda averageish too, 3xA*s, 5xAs 2xBs 1xC (Short course compulsory Welsh, highest possible was a C).

Have a look at this which summarises which medical schools want which GCSE grades - i think you'll find your grades are accepted at the majority of places so you shouldn't worry about them
Reply 91
RollerBall
I'm kinda bricking about the UKCAT. I know some Univercities put quite alot of pressure on it, I did the pracitse timed UKCAT test off the website and some of the questions where insane >.> It didn't give a mark at the end though which kinda sucked. I've done a few IQ tests and only got like 125, which is like average, so I'm not sure. My GCSEs are kinda averageish too, 3xA*s, 5xAs 2xBs 1xC (Short course compulsory Welsh, highest possible was a C)

I guess my strongest point atm is extra-curric.
I'm a production technition and manage shows for the school, such as building props, running lighting and sound co-ordinating stage directions etc.
I do a few days in time off school at a learning disability work center every half/full term.
I do two hours every Thursday with learning disability people doing some activities, giving them something to get them out of the house
I teach year 7s to read in my school twice a week
I host a place for younger kids in my school getting bullied to go once a week, to have a chat and just hang out
I'm mid way through my DoE Silver
I'm Currently fundraising to send myself to climb mount kenya and then do some work in schools out there in july 2010.
I've got one weeks work experience in UHW and I'm trying to get some time with my G.P, I've got a weeks work XP in a vets, and another week in a lab. I still feel as if there could be more I could be doing though. Outside interests are I'm heavily into computers, I built my first comp aged 14, and maintain my house network and server. I read new scientist and read alot of books, specificaly stephen king and stephen leather.

I still think even after all this I might just not make the cut on grades though. My teachers think I can definatly get 3As at A level and another A at AS. So we'll see :smile:.

People have got in with no A*s. Relax.
Hygeia
Have a look at this which summarises which medical schools want which GCSE grades - i think you'll find your grades are accepted at the majority of places so you shouldn't worry about them

That link was a great help. Thank you <3.

I guess hearing about Cardiff and Birmginham just put the ****s up me is all.
Crystalline
Indeed it is competitive to study Medicine.However, i would like to refute the claim that the competition is the same for all med school.
I think it is an indisputable truth that UK unis such as Oxbridge are much more sought after ,and more stringent in term of the intake of students.

I think branding still plays a significant role in the global market.:smile:
However,the unis such as the Oxbridge are known for their excellent professors,etc too.The schools offer more than just a branded name.

You are aware that Oxbridge isn't a Uni, right? :eyeball:
Reply 94
jonnyofengland

hahhaha
motiv3
hahhaha

Well, somebody needs to tell them.
Reply 96
jonnyofengland

haha.
I am aware of that. I was refering to the Oxford and Cambridge universities.:wink:
jonnyofengland

I know you were trying to be funny but she is not stupid.
pinballwizard
I know you were trying to be funny but she is not stupid.

Hmmm, she did say...

it is an indisputable truth that UK unis such as Oxbridge are much more sought after
Alex L
Hmmm, she did say...

Yes but it is quite obvious she meant both Cambridge and Oxford as seperate universities - which, if you read above - is indeed what she meant.

Latest

Trending

Trending