The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I'm not sure whether to apply for means-tested instead of non-means tested like I was originally going to. I've looked at the figures but I find them a tad confusing, my parents earn a combined income of around (edited, was way off) £27-29,000, is definetly under £30,000, and I'm not sure which option would be better with that.
reddevilleanne
Yeah luckily. It's just so annoying tho, I completed the forms at the end of February! Does this mean I'll have to wait up to another 6 weeks? My mum's on benefits so they'll need to check it out with Social Services... I dunno if that's quick and simple for them to do?

Well If your account has been completely wiped of there database then it wouldn't surprise me if it took another six weeks. :frown:

Yes, unfortunately they are going to have to contact other agencies in order to confirm that your Mum is earning under a certain amount of money.
History Rocks
Well If your account has been completely wiped of there database then it wouldn't surprise me if it took another six weeks. :frown:

Yes, unfortunately they are going to have to contact other agencies in order to confirm that your Mum is earning under a certain amount of money.

My account hasn't been wiped, my application is still there, it's just my mum's supporting application that's been wiped from her account. It's a bit strange. Oh well, I'll just send the form off in the post tomorrow :smile:
Reply 383
I was jsut wondering how you find out when you leave uni like what monthe etc? Any ideas?
Reply 384
I was jsut wondering how you find out when you leave uni like what monthe etc? Any ideas?
Maysie07

Ring the uni up!
Reply 386
please help me!
i try to log in (i registered a while go) i entered the CRN and password (which is correct as i wrote it all down) and it wont log me in...so i got them to email me new details which it said it had but i've receieved nothing.
It said to ring the helpline to sort out the account and I've spent 24 minutes on hold.

If i've registered online do i have to apply online?

If i apply on paperand send it off will they accept it or send it back because of the account trouble?
sorry if this has been answered but im STILL on hold.
arrrrrrgh i'm an idiot. i think i must have accidently clicked submit before i've filled out most of the forms as i can't edit anything or get them up! can anyone help?!
Reply 388
Zygroth
:/ Hmm...My customer number and pin don't match when I called - anyone know how I can sort this out? I specifically checked my account online in case they got my DOB wrong. Can anyone post the number I'm supposed to call in case it's wrong on the letter?

I'm having the same problem.. I just can't get hold of a human to talk to! My date of birth has been entered properly at least at this end, but they're saying the PIN doesn't match.. How to I actually get to speak to someone there? No e-mail address either, what a farce!
Reply 389
Oh god student finance... was i meant to do this ages ago? i completely forgot about it.

Am i in trouble?
Reply 390
Wondering if anyone can help me....
Told by student finance to use the reference number I had when I was getting EMA...all good
Then I created a password etc but now its telling me all my login details are wrong...then when I try to change my password, it starts telling me my reference number is wrong :s-smilie:
Any ideas? (+rep :tongue:) or do I just need to phone up?

Edit: Phoned up...listened to a machine for 10 mins....pressed some buttons and found a real person

its sorted :smile:
Reply 391
blahhh
Wondering if anyone can help me....
Told by student finance to use the reference number I had when I was getting EMA...all good
Then I created a password etc but now its telling me all my login details are wrong...then when I try to change my password, it starts telling me my reference number is wrong :s-smilie:
Any ideas? (+rep :tongue:) or do I just need to phone up?

Edit: Phoned up...listened to a machine for 10 mins....pressed some buttons and found a real person

its sorted :smile:

thats exactly the same problem i had.
how long did it take to fix?
Reply 392
Sairy01
thats exactly the same problem i had.
how long did it take to fix?

Instant :yep: They did something over the phone and it worked! I think it was because the system didnt have my email address...since when I had EMA it was never required and I didnt apply online
Sorani
I'm not sure whether to apply for means-tested instead of non-means tested like I was originally going to. I've looked at the figures but I find them a tad confusing, my parents earn a combined income of around (edited, was way off) £27-29,000, is definetly under £30,000, and I'm not sure which option would be better with that.

I don't really get why anyone would apply for it non-means tested, but there's a student finance calculator where you can find out how much money you're likely to get, you can do means or non-means tested: http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153,4680089&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
jamellis
Oh god student finance... was i meant to do this ages ago? i completely forgot about it.

Am i in trouble?

Providing that you are applying for means tested you have not missed the deadline (late June).

Just get yourself a paper application from your sixth form/college, print one out on line or call Student Finance out and ask them to send you one.
Reply 395
Hey,

I am not applying for a mainteance loan or a tuition loan, but I want to apply for the mainteance grants and the bursaries that my university offers. Do I have to fill in the form still, as so far it keeps asking about tuition/maintenance loans and it won't let me not apply for them, which makes me wonder if I am even meant to be filling it out? :confused:
You can't get the maintenance grant without taking out the loan. You might still be able to get the bursary from your uni, however. You'll have to phone and ask.
The form is to assess how much of a loan you should get, so if you don't want one, it seems silly to fill it in.
Controversial
You can't get the maintenance grant without taking out the loan. You might still be able to get the bursary from your uni, however. You'll have to phone and ask.
The form is to assess how much of a loan you should get, so if you don't want one, it seems silly to fill it in.

So I have to take out the tuition loan to get the grant? :s-smilie:

And one more question - while registering, I need to choose "Apply for support" (or something like that) and my parent must choose "Support an application" right?
You have to take out the maintainance loan to be entitled to the grant. Not sure about the tuition loan, but I presume not.

And yep, thats right :smile:
Controversial
You have to take out the maintainance loan to be entitled to the grant. Not sure about the tuition loan, but I presume not.

And yep, thats right :smile:

Hmm thats weird. So if my room costs 4,000 I'll have to take out a 1,100 loan and they'll give me that 2,900 grant (my family earns <25,000 pounds)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending