The Student Room Group

Personal statement help

How do I write a personal statement when I have done almost nothing in terms of the subject? For the past few years all I’ve done is STEM. I am now applying to Finance and Economics and have literally nothing to put on my PS. I know this is my own fault but 😫😫😫😭
I’ve been putting this off for so long and now I only have a couple of months left until the actual deadline for applications.
I am planning on doing an internship in a level summer, that’s practically the only thing I have and the fact that I’ve been surrounded by people working in business & finance my whole life but that just makes me sound like a nepo baby
I wouldn't make a point related to whom you've been surrounded by - it should be about your achievements, not theirs.

But as you've said, you have a couple of months left. Read around your subject, maybe complete a MOOC, watch online courses or lectures, read relevant books, there are plenty of things that show you're interested and prepared that are achievable within the deadline. There's no rush, either; it is, for a reason, called the equal consideration deadline.
Original post by vsepr902
How do I write a personal statement when I have done almost nothing in terms of the subject? For the past few years all I’ve done is STEM. I am now applying to Finance and Economics and have literally nothing to put on my PS. I know this is my own fault but 😫😫😫😭
I’ve been putting this off for so long and now I only have a couple of months left until the actual deadline for applications.
I am planning on doing an internship in a level summer, that’s practically the only thing I have and the fact that I’ve been surrounded by people working in business & finance my whole life but that just makes me sound like a nepo baby

Hi,

I would recommend that you relate how your stem subjects can be beneficial for your future studies in Finance and economics. Simple things such as if you did maths, can be transferable to the finance element of your degree. There are always connections that can be made and as long as you sound passionate about the course you are applying to and show how you are determined enough to do well in that career, your personal statement will sound strong.

I would also incorporate your hobbies and any part-time jobs you may have had into your PS as there are always transferable skills that can be shown to support your application.

I'd also allow yourself time to complete this and try not to rush it as your PS needs to show your personality, motivation and passion towards your chosen course so allow yourself time to think about how the subjects you studied at A-level can transfer over into your application.

I hope this helps and gives you some advice regarding your personal statement. Our university also runs personal statement Q&A's on our Instagram from time to time so I'd keep an eye out for them as they can be of real assistance for those writing the personal statements.

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending