The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
I'm a second year and have applied for means tested finance. They sent me an email on June 21st telling me my offer was now available to view online. The problem is, it's now a month on, and I still have no new details in the payments section. Just all the stuff from last year. And my application is still apparently "awaiting assessment." What do I have to do? I hate calling them cos it costs me SO much money that I don't have just sitting on hold!

Advice greatly appreciated. :frown:
Darth Maul
I checked and they were delivered on 21/06/10.

If I don't hear anything in a few days should I send them in again just in case?

if it was delivered on 21/06/10 then you will have to wait around 4 weeks for it to be processed.

as long as they are confirmed as delivered then theres nothing to worry about.

There is a HUGE queue of PFF forms so it can take longer to process them.

If you dont hear back for the next 4 weeks, then give SFE a call.
Sorry if this has been answered previously, but is there a threshold for the loan for living costs ? Take for eg I live with my dad and he earns over £30,000 I get nothing, or if he earns under £10,000 I get like £2,000 etc? I did find one for the young student bursary but cant find one for the loan for living costs, also does my ysb affect my loan for living costs ?
Reply 3983
Hey,

I applied for my student loand and it has been confirmed ect. Last year I got a maintenance grant, but this year I dont?! It confuses me because my sister got one this year?!

So I tried to go back in to try and sort it but I cant edit any of my information cause my application is confirmed?! Anyone know if I can fix this?
SumTingWong
if it was delivered on 21/06/10 then you will have to wait around 4 weeks for it to be processed.

as long as they are confirmed as delivered then theres nothing to worry about.

There is a HUGE queue of PFF forms so it can take longer to process them.

If you dont hear back for the next 4 weeks, then give SFE a call.

I put crosses through pages which had questions that did not apply to my parents. Do you think that made a difference?

And for my dad I sent financial evidence when I didn't need to.

Do computers process the forms? Maybe they couldn't recognize some hand writing?

lol ( I think I'm being paranoid).
Darth Maul
I put crosses through pages which had questions that did not apply to my parents. Do you think that made a difference?

And for my dad I sent financial evidence when I didn't need to.

Do computers process the forms? Maybe they couldn't recognize some hand writing?

lol ( I think I'm being paranoid).

a tad? :p: ive never seen any situation where forms were cancelled for handwriting

the forms are all uploaded onto the online system, so then they are assessed by a computer. But the handwritten forms themselves arent processed by computer.

If you sent financial evidence when you didnt need to, then you should be worried. :eek3: you can get castrated for that

Spoiler

Anyone know roughly how long it takes them to send back evidence? I majorly need it back asap, rang them up last wednesday and they said it should be sent back out to me by the end of the week, and well, it's a week later and still not here.
Reply 3987
live.laugh.love
Anyone know roughly how long it takes them to send back evidence? I majorly need it back asap, rang them up last wednesday and they said it should be sent back out to me by the end of the week, and well, it's a week later and still not here.

2 weeks for passports, 5 for birth certificates, 7 for everything else.

Although that's not strictly true. They had my birth certificate close to 8 weeks and they posted it on the day I phoned up asking for it.
Reply 3988
Im not sure if its been mentioned here, but Ive just sent off my application for an income assessed loan to SAAS. For my household income I had around £41k, but my mum is disabled so can't work (incapacit benefit) and my stepdad actually has a salary of around £36k with £4.8k deductions for his kids. The rest of the £41k is overtime and travel expenses etc (so its not a constant or accurate income year by year either)

I just went through the calculator on th SAAS website and it said my expected paretal contribution was around 4.5k. If both my parents had an equal income and it wasn't my stepdad this would be expected, but as my mum isn't expected to support his kids and likewise it isn't accurate.
It would be my mother who would be supporting me (if at all) and she gets a fraction of what my stepdad does in income (he obviously supports her but I wouldn't ask him to contribute to my education...)
Is there any way I can get SAAS to take it into consideration that he wont actually contribute in any significant way to my living costs? I'll be living in halls as well.
PJ991
2 weeks for passports, 5 for birth certificates, 7 for everything else.

Although that's not strictly true. They had my birth certificate close to 8 weeks and they posted it on the day I phoned up asking for it.

I sent all my stuff in on 19th May, which is why they said on the phone I'd have it by the end of the week, as it's now been 8 weeks.. student finance is soo unreliable!
I've always wondered, why do we get less and less money each year?
I'm starting third year in Sept and I'm getting like £600 less this year than I did in second year.
What's the thinking behind that?
Years 1 and 2 you get money to get through the summer vacation.
Year 3 you finish in June.

oh and you need to edit your nobby know all bit - itch is a verb according to the Oxford concise dictionary.
What's the minimum student loan if you don't do income assessed?
Reply 3994
OK, so everythings done for me, online it says i have nothing else to do, i've signed the declaration and evidence has been sent back, so where is the information on my grant? Is it a matter of waiting for them to contact me? Or will i not be getting it :s ?
Reply 3995
This is probably a silly question, but is everything they need from you listed under the bit that says what they're waiting for?

Because I haven't had to provide (or rather haven't been asked, by the website or by anyone on the phone) to provide financial evidence. I'm really worried that everyone else has, and I've gone and done something wrong again.

I will be a mature disabled (though I hate that word, I'm perfectly able, given half a chance, I just have a few problems now and then) student, and I haven't been able to work in over a year, under GP's instructions. I dunno if that has any effect on it or not.
Reply 3996
jaxdia
This is probably a silly question, but is everything they need from you listed under the bit that says what they're waiting for?

Because I haven't had to provide (or rather haven't been asked, by the website or by anyone on the phone) to provide financial evidence. I'm really worried that everyone else has, and I've gone and done something wrong again.

I will be a mature disabled (though I hate that word, I'm perfectly able, given half a chance, I just have a few problems now and then) student, and I haven't been able to work in over a year, under GP's instructions. I dunno if that has any effect on it or not.

At first I thought I didn't need to send my mothers' payslips, but it turns out everyone needs to send a P60,P60U, P11,P7 or payslips in order for your full entitlement.
Reply 3997
PJ991
At first I thought I didn't need to send my mothers' payslips, but it turns out everyone needs to send a P60,P60U, P11,P7 or payslips in order for your full entitlement.

don't you mean either, as I only sent my parents p60's
Reply 3998
PJ991

That's the thing though, I'm a mature student, and my parents have been retired for over 20 years. Surely they don't expect me to find those?
jaxdia
That's the thing though, I'm a mature student, and my parents have been retired for over 20 years. Surely they don't expect me to find those?

If they have occupational pensions and pay tax they still treceive a P60.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending