The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
'pretty' girls cannot get cambridge places, jcb :frown:, that's why.

(healthy amount of eye-rolling)
smilepea
Not meaning to be inflamitory, but how is she a non-stereotypical applicant?

Hmm, didn't express my point properly. We know she's a fairly stereotypical applicant, but a lot of other people don't. Pretty much everyone I know from school assumed that people at Cambridge are all ugly. I know it's not a big deal and it doesn't help any kind of specific access cause, but it's just nice to break down one little stereotype at a time, bit by bit :smile:
Reply 7982
Chewwy
so you're stating that it is implicit that being from a lower 'socio-economic background' means you place less importance on education.

i thought the point of access was the change people's view of what university is like, i.e. make them think they will fit in. i didn't know the point was to confer to them the knowledge of the economical benefit of a degree. i've never seen that in any access scheme.

No I'm not go and read the statistics.

Really? All the access talks I've heard our admissions tutor give has pointed out the economic benefit of a degree and especially that of a Cambridge one.
alex_hk90
But you can know what you're going to argue and what information you're going to use to argue it without satisfactorily acquainting yourself with the topic. I don't know how long your essays need to be, but our supervision ones this year were at most 1500 words (usually 1000 words) and so all you needed was enough for an intro, conclusion, and 3 or 4 key points as main body paragraphs. Maybe it's just easier to blag essays in Part I Economics. :dontknow:

Mine are usually 3000. 2500 is the requirement. Can we drop the subject now please. I've spent two years here watching other arts student work half the hours that I do and get better results than I do. It isn't fun. I am well aware that they all manage to work out what's relevant really fast and don't need the same amount of time that I do. I'd prefer this not to be rubbed in.
I know you're not meaning to, but :huff: :puppyeyes:
Thanks.
Reply 7984
Zoedotdot
Hmm, didn't express my point properly. We know she's a fairly stereotypical applicant, but a lot of other people don't. Pretty much everyone I know from school assumed that people at Cambridge are all ugly. I know it's not a big deal and it doesn't help any kind of specific access cause, but it's just nice to break down one little stereotype at a time, bit by bit :smile:

meh I've not experienced this more the everyone will be posh thing.
Reply 7985
jcb914
Sorry, how exactly is she non-stereotypical?

from the article, all we know is that she is good looking, and that her parents have ok jobs.

being good looking is very unstereotypical. 'good looking' isn't really the right term though - but she looks nice in those photos. not too good looking, you know? likeable. so there we go.

you guys then took it upon yourself to find out where she went to sixth form, and then say that this is terrible. if you'd done more research, you'd know that she also has, err, umm, what's it called. i dunno. but some learning difficulty. she gets computers and stuff from us for it.

so you know. you could say that that's unstereotypical. so it just depends in which way you extend your research really.

who cares anyway. the article has nothing to do with cambridge admissions. and given, like, what was on the front page of Varsity this week, this is borrrrrring.
Reply 7986
small post: cragyrax, you cheeky monkey. i wasn't even trying to advertise!!
Reply 7987
Chewwy
from the article, all we know is that she is good looking, and that her parents have ok jobs.

being good looking is very unstereotypical. 'good looking' isn't really the right term though - but she looks nice in those photos. not too good looking, you know? likeable. so there we go.

you guys then took it upon yourself to find out where she went to sixth form, and then say that this is terrible. if you'd done more research, you'd know that she also has, err, umm, what's it called. i dunno. but some learning difficulty. she gets computers and stuff from us for it.

so you know. you could say that that's unstereotypical. so it just depends in which way you extend your research really.

who cares anyway. the article has nothing to do with cambridge admissions. and given, like, what was on the front page of Varsity this week, this is borrrrrring.

Erm, as I said, I went to the same sixth form. So I can hardly say that is "terrible".

And I don't think she's particularly good looking, there are much hotter girls here.
Reply 7988
Chewwy

what's on the front page of varsity???
minimo
I thought it might be SPS :p: but those don't look like SPS books? I'm thinking natural scoences (physical) is a likelier prospect.

She is SPS. I had two Psychology supervisions with her in first year.
Reply 7990
minimo
what's on the front page of varsity???

sheesh, i feel like your linking slave

http://www.varsity.co.uk/archive/695.pdf
Reply 7991
To be honest a learning difficulty isn't that uncommon, and any support she gets is to put her onto a level playing field, oh and she may of had the pleasant experience of her school caring.
Chewwy
small post: cragyrax, you cheeky monkey. i wasn't even trying to advertise!!

What on earth are you talking about? :eyeball: I'm still reading the thread four pages back...
The West Wing
Maybe Craggy knows her?
Whoops. I should read the thread before replying.
Craghyrax
I've spent two years here watching other arts student work half the hours that I do and get better results than I do.

After you've got your exams over with, this might be something to have a chat with your DoS (or any PPS academic you get on with) about if you haven't already. They should be able to talk through why this is with you and make some practical suggestions to help - that's what they're there for.

*subject now dropped*
Reply 7994
Chewwy

Yeah. International fees to rise by 10%, isn't it outrageous? :woo:

:p:
Reply 7995
Craghyrax
What on earth are you talking about? :eyeball: I'm still reading the thread four pages back...
Whoops. I should read the thread before replying.

oh, so it wasn't you who warned me? i posted a link to that website that i used to post all the time. a link that was directly relevant this time.

i'm kind of sad that it wasn't you really. it's nice when you get warned because you get a little message with it.
Reply 7996
OK maybe a slight over reaction on my part. Anyone making people think more seriously about higher education can only be a good thing so I give the piece that. But my point still stands to an extent. Exam term stresses and shiz.
Chewwy
oh, so it wasn't you who warned me? i posted a link to that website that i used to post all the time. a link that was directly relevant this time.

i'm kind of sad that it wasn't you really. it's nice when you get warned because you get a little message with it.

I've never 'warned' you. I don't have moderator tools :p: The edit on your post also says 'edited by Faded Jade', who is a moderator :p: I have on occasion reported your posts, but only when you were being offensive and potentially traumatising/insulting some other person in the thread...
fumblewomble
After you've got your exams over with, this might be something to have a chat with your DoS (or any PPS academic you get on with) about if you haven't already. They should be able to talk through why this is with you and make some practical suggestions to help - that's what they're there for.

*subject now dropped*

Blergh! I find it hard explaining to people exactly what I'm struggling with... and I've tried all the suggestions everyone gave. I mean for starters its really unhelpful that for some reason, the department doesn't specify page numbers or chapters. They just put book titles on the reading list and mark them as core texts. This inevitably means I always do way too much reading. I'm doing less this year than last, but then that might have something to do with two exams fewer :p: I'm just phenomenally crap at breaking down the info. That and I can't do exams. Or revise effectively.
If I was able to submit four dissertations instead of exams next year, I think I'd have a very high chance of excelling.
Reply 7999
Craghyrax
I've never 'warned' you. I don't have moderator tools :p:

oh my gordon.

shows how much i know.

Latest

Trending

Trending