The Student Room Group
Reply 9940
Craghyrax
Well you certainly deserve some Irn Bru...
How was the hike?

Pretty much perfect tbh - fantastically sunny weather, scenic (not terribly arduous) routes, a good team :biggrin: I can't believe I've finally completed DofE Gold though, I started it way back in 2005...
Reply 9941
K.T.
Pretty much perfect tbh - fantastically sunny weather, scenic (not terribly arduous) routes, a good team :biggrin: I can't believe I've finally completed DofE Gold though, I started it way back in 2005...

haha, great dedication, 'spect :cool:
i did scouts platinum and then gave up lol :o:
Reply 9942
Why is my body now happy with 7hrs sleep?! after it spent exam term needing double that!
As long as its happy with it :rolleyes: Far worse when it isn't happy with it but you can't sleep for some or other reason...
Grr, it's taken less than a week for my sleeping patterns to mess up :bawling:

Give me some hours/give me a job to sort me out :bawling:
brimstone
Grr, it's taken less than a week for my sleeping patterns to mess up :bawling:

Give me some hours/give me a job to sort me out :bawling:

I feel exactly the same. Since I came home on Saturday I've essentially done nothing with my week apart from sleep, watch films, talk on MSN and occasionally watch Wimbledon. I need to pull my socks up as I have a ridiculous amount of work to do this summer...

K.T.

Well done KT! :smile:

Craghyrax
No, this is the same one. And I haven't really had any experiences with others in four years. Anyway, I have to take responsibility for my blue which probably causes lots of things to gravitate towards it. Mostly attention :ninja:

That's weird, my sienna never seems to attract anyone...

Llamaaa
I'm all graduated. The holding onto fingers and kneeling prayer-style in front of the master was rather odd.

Congratulations to Llamaaa and all of the other TSRers who are graduating (e.g. minimo, FJ). TSR meets won't be the same!
Reply 9946
God this is strange, I really need that markbook.

The bio natsci results from my college are so different to what people were expecting. The two people who worked insanely, insanely, insanely hard didn't get 1sts. Two others who were not expecting them did. And this sounds reaaaaally bitter and please note that I don't mean for it to sound so (hopefully you get me) but people who were far, far more screwed than me did a lot better thatn I did. :frown:
emilY?
The bio natsci results from my college are so different to what people were expecting. The two people who worked insanely, insanely, insanely hard didn't get 1sts. Two others who were not expecting them did. And this sounds reaaaaally bitter and please note that I don't mean for it to sound so (hopefully you get me) but people who were far, far more screwed than me did a lot better thatn I did. :frown:

OK but this is one of the things you have to get used to at Cambridge - working really really hard won't necessarily get you a first. It's not the case that the more you work, the better you'll do (though working hard will usually help you do as well as you can). There will always be people with talent and good exam technique who do well even if they don't appear to have worked particularly hard (though beware, lots of people work harder than they say they do) and equally people who have worked really hard who end up with low grades because they just haven't got the knack of the subject and the exams. This is particularly true in first year when people are facing tripos for the first time and adapting from A level study.
Chess Piece Face
I need to pull my socks up as I have a ridiculous amount of work to do this summer...

:ditto:
Chess Piece Face

That's weird, my sienna never seems to attract anyone...

Sure, but you have about 750 posts on the site in contrast to my 23,000 and sienna is a much less bright colour.
emilY?
people who were far, far more screwed than me did a lot better thatn I did. :frown:

fumblewomble
OK but this is one of the things you have to get used to at Cambridge - working really really hard won't necessarily get you a first.

:ditto: Everything fumblewomble says. This was completely the case for me last year. I scraped a low 2.1 after working my socks off the entire year, and then people in my college who had breezed by with minimal work got firsts! Life's not fair :p:
Reply 9950
fumblewomble
OK but this is one of the things you have to get used to at Cambridge - working really really hard won't necessarily get you a first. It's not the case that the more you work, the better you'll do (though working hard will usually help you do as well as you can). There will always be people with talent and good exam technique who do well even if they don't appear to have worked particularly hard (though beware, lots of people work harder than they say they do) and equally people who have worked really hard who end up with low grades because they just haven't got the knack of the subject and the exams. This is particularly true in first year when people are facing tripos for the first time and adapting from A level study.

Craghyrax
:ditto: Everything fumblewomble says. This was completely the case for me last year. I scraped a low 2.1 after working my socks off the entire year, and then people in my college who had breezed by with minimal work got firsts! Life's not fair :p:

Yeah, tis interesting.

This Cambridge thing is a lark isn't it:rolleyes:
emilY?
Yeah, tis interesting.

:console: Things should get better. If you ask your college they should provide some exam technique coaching which would put you in a better position for next year.
emilY?
Yeah, tis interesting.

No offence, but what do you expect? A few thousand people who were practically all the best in their school and sailed through A-levels have been put together in the same town and pushed ten times as hard as anyone else in the country. A select few will still be the best, but the vast majority will at some point during the year do much, much worse than they expected - just because it's not what they're used to. Of course it takes a lot of getting used to, and a fair few people mess up their first year because of it. It's not the end of the world - you're not about to be kicked out, you've proven to your supervisors that you have the potential, you just needed a bit of time to get used to the system. Lesson learnt for next year, and hopefully you'll be on 2.is in no time. Don't worry about it.

I did fairly well this year, but I dropped a grade (which meant dropping at least 8-9%) and now my dos thinks I'm a retard, which might seriously hinder my plans to go onto a fourth year if I don't get my arse in gear soon. He'll get over it and I've learnt my lesson. I don't mean to compare the situations, but it's proof that it happens and it's really not just you.
Reply 9953
generalebriety
No offence, but what do you expect? A few thousand people who were practically all the best in their school and sailed through A-levels have been put together in the same town and pushed ten times as hard as anyone else in the country. A select few will still be the best, but the vast majority will at some point during the year do much, much worse than they expected - just because it's not what they're used to. Of course it takes a lot of getting used to, and a fair few people mess up their first year because of it. It's not the end of the world - you're not about to be kicked out, you've proven to your supervisors that you have the potential, you just needed a bit of time to get used to the system. Lesson learnt for next year, and hopefully you'll be on 2.is in no time. Don't worry about it.

I did fairly well this year, but I dropped a grade (which meant dropping at least 8-9%) and now my dos thinks I'm a retard, which might seriously hinder my plans to go onto a fourth year if I don't get my arse in gear soon. He'll get over it and I've learnt my lesson. I don't mean to compare the situations, but it's proof that it happens and it's really not just you.

Er yeah ok sorry I wasn't meaning to complain too much.
emilY?

:confused:

I wasn't stopping you complaining, I was attempting to give you advice and/or sympathy.

I do wonder what the hell it is that makes everyone think I'm snapping at them when I'm actually trying to be nice to them, this seems to be a recurring theme...
emilY?

Dw you're not.
generalebriety

I do wonder what the hell it is that makes everyone think I'm snapping at them when I'm actually trying to be nice to them, this seems to be a recurring theme...

It's a question of writing style, that's all.
A friend gave me a really nice cupcake from a bakery and I went and left it on the checkout when I packed shopping into my bag at Sainsburys :s-smilie: Oops...
Reply 9958
Craghyrax
:console: Things should get better. If you ask your college they should provide some exam technique coaching which would put you in a better position for next year.

Craghyrax
Dw you're not.

fumblewomble
It's a question of writing style.

Care to elaborate?

Latest

Trending

Trending