The Student Room Group

Do i got any chances to go into Imperial or Oxford??

Hi i am an international student and im currently doing maths, accounting (as) and economics (a2), Last year i did AS and i got b in business and b in film studies plus the a in economics. Next year im planning to do a2 maths, a2 accounting and as further maths. If i work hard i can achieve to get the AAAa(further maths) b(films) b(business). However i havent done any science subject such as physics or chemistry so i dont know is it worth to do further maths AS to get accepted into oxford or imperial (top unis) as my a leves will be in disadvantage compared with people that have done chemistry or physics and also how much disadvantage should i have in the admission if i only done as further maths and not the whole a level?.. thanks
Reply 1
How about you look at the prospectus for the course you want to do, at those universities (check their websites), they'll usually specify how many A levels, which grades, which subjects they require. But at first glance I doubt they'll take lightly to film studies and business, but no harm in checking.
I swear Oxford requires a science subject likes physics I may be wrong though have a look at this link:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/computer_science.html

Nope actually you've got further maths so there should be no problem it says "Requirement for Computer Science:Mathematics,A Science or Further Mathematics"

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/index.html

Go check out Imperial as well now :smile:
I checked the oxford one but im gonna do further maths just the AS next year as it is too late to doing it now... so i dont know how much disadvantage would be doing just the AS and not the whole A level... , is it worth to have economics? even if it is a social science subject??
anyone there??
Dirty Communist
nojoegohome
Dirty Communist

lol... , Im argentinian and el che guevara is one of my country icons with maradona .., anyway can anybody help me to know if i can handle to enter into imperial or oxford doing the above suggested a levels.
Reply 7
el che guevara
I checked the oxford one but im gonna do further maths just the AS next year as it is too late to doing it now... so i dont know how much disadvantage would be doing just the AS and not the whole A level... , is it worth to have economics? even if it is a social science subject??

Economics seems to be a fairly popular option as an alternative subject, quite a few people were doing it when I went to the imperial interview day. My offer included an A in either Physics OR Economics so it may be worth having it, though they did state a preference for physics in my interview.

I doubt they will be fussed much that you haven't done further maths to a-level but more so that you haven't got another subject like physics or computing.
silver_j
Economics seems to be a fairly popular option as an alternative subject, quite a few people were doing it when I went to the imperial interview day. My offer included an A in either Physics OR Economics so it may be worth having it, though they did state a preference for physics in my interview.

I doubt they will be fussed much that you haven't done further maths to a-level but more so that you haven't got another subject like physics or computing.

Well I email imperial and they said that it will give more chances to my application if i got the further maths in AS so i will take it next year to get an offer from Imperial in computing.. thanks for the information i didnt know that they considered economics as a recommended subject.. is it the same in oxford?? cause they just stated "science"
Reply 9
el che guevara
Well I email imperial and they said that it will give more chances to my application if i got the further maths in AS so i will take it next year to get an offer from Imperial in computing.. thanks for the information i didnt know that they considered economics as a recommended subject.. is it the same in oxford?? cause they just stated "science"

Sorry I meant Further Maths to A2, definitely do it to AS at least. I don't know if you've seen this but they do have a list of subjects the prefer - http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/teaching/undergraduate/computing/admissions/advice/
silver_j
Sorry I meant Further Maths to A2, definitely do it to AS at least. I don't know if you've seen this but they do have a list of subjects the prefer - http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/teaching/undergraduate/computing/admissions/advice/

thanks , im just worry about havin accounting and not a proper science subject even if acc involves thinking and problem solving.. hope i can get a chance..

Latest

Trending

Trending