The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Christ's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
wikipedia is your friend...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloane_Ranger#Sloanes_today

if you come to christ's you will prob need wiki... got me through my tripos exam this morning!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
The impression I got is that people are given very challenging offer such as AAAA if not given EE. Is this true?

Thanks
Reply 342
often, the offers indeed can be quite 'mavrick' here, though some will get the standard AAA.

meh
Reply 343
You either get EE or a realistic one, depending on how many subjects you are doing. in my case i am doing 5 A levels so i need to get 5As. Glad that there is no AEA requirements though.
Christ's seems to be a lovely college and I really want to apply to there. But looking at the statistics scares me... Every year there seems to be quite a large proportion of people who got an offer but not admitted compared to the other colleges. I suppose this must mean the offers must be very demanding if not given EE! Did anyone ever have an AAAA + AEA distinction offer?
Reply 345
~charmaine~
Christ's seems to be a lovely college and I really want to apply to there. But looking at the statistics scares me... Every year there seems to be quite a large proportion of people who got an offer but not admitted compared to the other colleges. I suppose this must mean the offers must be very demanding if not given EE! Did anyone ever have an AAAA + AEA distinction offer?

I know a couple of people who got AEAs as part of their offer, I think one of them even missed it and they let him in anyway. Don't let the stats put you off - you either get an unconditional or straight As which is what your teachers are probably predicting you anyway.

And yes, it's a lovely place, spent all of yesterday sat in the sun in the garden :smile:
Reply 346
At the open day I went to, and at the interview, there seemed to be some building work going on. What were/are they building/renovating?
Reply 347
they were doing the kitchens which are now complete, and also new court (the 'typewriter' building)

this is still being renovated but will be done in september, and is where the majority of freshers will live. all rooms will be ensuite, and should be much nicer than how they were before.

it is very weird having new court being built as it reduces the size and feel of the already compact college. roll on september :smile:
Reply 348
Rich_b
they were doing the kitchens which are now complete, and also new court (the 'typewriter' building)

this is still being renovated but will be done in september, and is where the majority of freshers will live. all rooms will be ensuite, and should be much nicer than how they were before.

it is very weird having new court being built as it reduces the size and feel of the already compact college. roll on september :smile:

would matric holders be put in the typewriter come september or do they get 'special' rooms with no ensuite or something?
Reply 349
traditionally it seems that matric offer holders were not put in the typewriter but other 'nicer' places....

i don't know what will happen next year, guess it will just depend on how nice the college judges the rooms to be
Reply 350
I've been wondering, if you don't have 'ridiculous' grades is it better to apply to another college? What I mean is does the fact that Christ's seem to be the main ones who still give matric offers mean that if you aren't likely to get one its better to apply somewhere else?

Although at the same time do they give more offers like AAAA? (e.g. more than three As?) As I'd be perfectly happy to get that rather than no offer at all :wink:
Reply 351
Hi all. Did anyone else get an envelope of forms in the post today? If so, can you say what was in it, as mine arrived open so some stuff might have fallen out. Thanks.
Oh God. I went to the college open day yesterday and I felt in love with Christ's college! I just can't imagine how upset I will be if I don't get in get in....
Reply 353
Mithra
I've been wondering, if you don't have 'ridiculous' grades is it better to apply to another college? What I mean is does the fact that Christ's seem to be the main ones who still give matric offers mean that if you aren't likely to get one its better to apply somewhere else?

Although at the same time do they give more offers like AAAA? (e.g. more than three As?) As I'd be perfectly happy to get that rather than no offer at all :wink:

They'll only give you an offer they think you can meet, and as such they vary a lot from individual o individual. So if you like the place then it's worth applying!

@Charmaine: good luck!
hey, i'm interested in applying to christ's college cambridge for medicine. I was wondering how often they ask people to do an AEA in one of their subjects as part of their offer? if you meet their offer (AAAx) but fail the AEA, will they still consider giving you a place? do they offer the AEA with people who are doing 4 A2s? sorry for so many questions, but i just want to be crystal clear before applying :biggrin:
Reply 355
does christ's have it's own gym? if so, what is in it? and if not, where is the nearest one?
Reply 356
I'm aware some EE offer holders get put in the first court rather than typewriter, but was wondering if the same is true for unconditional offer holders?
yeah following on from the gym question, i've heard the refurbishment includes a new gym, can anyone confirm this rumour?
Reply 358
Yes there's going to be a gym in New Court, don't know what it's going to be like though!

I am not sure if unconditionals are automatically treated the same as matric offers - it probably depends on how they think your interview went. If you did well enough to get a matric offer but you already had the grades, you'd get an unconditional but at the same time if you were going to be offered say AAAA and you applied with those grades already you'd get an unconditional but might not be treated the same. no idea, really! what offer you got though makes ZERO difference once you get here so no reason to worry!
Reply 359
davidt
Yes there's going to be a gym in New Court, don't know what it's going to be like though!

Great! How about a swimming pool?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending