Congratulations and best of luck for the interviews
What time did you hear? just now?

I got the email a few hours ago
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by ebug972

I got the email a few hours ago

****, I'm so nervous for my friend. He hasn't heard anything for phys NatSci afaik. My god.
Original post by C0balt
****, I'm so nervous for my friend. He hasn't heard anything for phys NatSci afaik. My god.

He'll probably hear soon I guess... I hope he does well :biggrin:
Hi, I've got an interview for Geography on the 6th, anyone else?
Reply 1444
Hi Perhaps this is an unusual question.... I'm looking at applying to Cambridge. But it looks like a lot of the food in colleges is based around refectories rather than self catering like at some unis. I'm a bit of a fussy eater ... in particular I don't like potatoes, not even chips. And I know I could self cater, but that looks like a lonely way to go if everyone else is eating dinner in the refec. So I'm looking for some advice. What options do I have? Do the refectories in some colleges always serve an alternative? What sort of options are on the menu? Thanks
Original post by Guy99
Hi Perhaps this is an unusual question.... I'm looking at applying to Cambridge. But it looks like a lot of the food in colleges is based around refectories rather than self catering like at some unis. I'm a bit of a fussy eater ... in particular I don't like potatoes, not even chips. And I know I could self cater, but that looks like a lonely way to go if everyone else is eating dinner in the refec. So I'm looking for some advice. What options do I have? Do the refectories in some colleges always serve an alternative? What sort of options are on the menu? Thanks

You are asking a general question in a specific college thread. Maybe ask again in the main forum
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=15

But since you asked, here's this week's Upper Hall menu at Christ's
http://bit.ly/ChristsUpperHallMenu

Upper Hall is the day-to-day dining room.
Formal Hall is an alternative dining room, usually for special occasions.
And you also have a buttery/bar for snacks and sandwiches.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Guy99

My neighbour always cooks and she has a good social life. So really you just need to get involved outside of meals. To be honest I only tend to share dinner with my friends anyway, and lunch tends to be had at very different times because of different timetables for different people

Christ's upper hall (the usual catering place) always has meat, fish, vegetarian and vegan option, and an extra meal or two sometimes. Christ's food reputation isn't the best, but I'm a fussy eater and I can deal with it really, sometimes I would admit it can have some improvements, but other times I can find them really good too. There's a salad bar and sides bar, which will always contain some form of potato, but you can always avoid that. If you have more university wide questionable then I suggest you ask uni wide applicants thread rather than Christ's specific one
Original post by Guy99

I definitely agree with C0balt that you shouldn't worry about social repercussions of not eating in hall: there are loads of people who rarely/never eat in hall for all sorts of reasons. Cooking is actually quite a social activity if you do it with/for other people.
That said, there are always multiple food options in hall so there's likely to be something you find satisfactory. If you are expecting to cook frequently though make sure to investigate what kitchen facilities are available as some colleges' accommodation doesn't even have hobs and bringing your own plug-in equipment (e.g. rice cookers, electric hotplates) is usually not allowed.
(edited 7 years ago)
.. ..
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm thinking of applying to Christ's. I know it's at the top of the league table, but I've been told it's a bit of an academic pressure cooker and might be full of workaholics. I'm not sure if the person I've heard this from is just passing on a stereotype rather than basing his opinion on something more substantial.

Are there any current or recent Christ's students who could comment on this, please?
Original post by simonmorrish
I'm thinking of applying to Christ's. I know it's at the top of the league table, but I've been told it's a bit of an academic pressure cooker and might be full of workaholics. I'm not sure if the person I've heard this from is just passing on a stereotype rather than basing his opinion on something more substantial.

Are there any current or recent Christ's students who could comment on this, please?

It's no more truer at Christ's than any other college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending