The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's as some other have noted in this thread, it's very difficult to move permanently to the US. Immigration laws are inflexible. Finding a professional job involves convincing the immigration authorities that there is no American citizen able and available to do that job, which is much more than difficult. Additionally, the economy is in a recession which looks increasingly severe; unemployment is rising. Even when the economy emerges from that recession, employment is one of the last elements of the economy to recover.

The Californian economy is in particular trouble.

Any large American city, particularly the more appealing ones, has its share of crime and bad weather. You mention health in your post- should the OP have an accident- say a minor injury like an uncomplicated broken ankle sustained in a car accident- and be uninsured (most Americans have health insurance through employment, but there are 45 million uninsured people in my country) how does he/she propose to pay for the expense of this injury? It could easily cost up to $10,000 for the injury I described.

I
Reply 21
Student2806
It's a great country, but it'll be a massive culture shock and it's unlikely to live up to your expectations.

Not too much of a problem. Never really like British lifestyle much anyway.

But I agree that living there for a short while with a work visa first is probably preferable. Just so I got a feel for what it will be like to live and work there as a citizen rather than a tourist.
You have a lot to learn...
My family lived in the US for a while. My dad opened a branch of his UK company there and employed Americans. After 9/11, we couldn't get greencards, so after over 5 years of living there, building our own house and providing jobs to Americans, we had to leave.

My brother, however, moved out just beforehand, married an American girl and had a child. He still had to fight for years with lawyers to get his greencard. Even then, it took a hell of a long time before he was actually allowed to work.

It's pretty damn tough to say the least.
Reply 24
dismal_laundry
You have a lot to learn...

Yeah well although I've always thought about moving there, I just started researching this stuff today. So actually I don't know very much.

And looking around, it seems next to impossible for me to acheieve permanent residence.

In closing, I would just like to say that I think the American immigration policy is stupid when professional, educated, hard working people can't go there, yet un-educated people illegally manage to go there in droves. Are the feds even doing anything about it?
What's so bad about Detroit?
The automobile industry, the bedrock of the city, has tanked. Climate? Cold. City? Run down. Crime? Yes.
ProgressDesired

Everything.

Number one in the country for homicide though, so I guess there's still something it's good at!
Reply 28
ProgressDesired

Oh god, where to get started? Well for a start it's blacker than a coal mine at midnight. Seriously, visiting Detroit you'd think you were in an African country. And I'm not just talking about the people. Some 47% of Detroit's population is functionally illiterate (By way of comparison, the figure for Vietnam is 6.7 percent and 1.7 percent for Croatia.). And if you want to look up completely incompetent governance look no further than our very own Kwame Kilpatrick.
For just $1, you could live in this beautiful home!

http://flickr.com/photos/kbauman/3179110784/in/set-72157600059407224/

Not including the thousands of dollars in property taxes, of course.
Reply 30
generic hybrid
For just $1, you could live in this beautiful home!

http://flickr.com/photos/kbauman/3179110784/in/set-72157600059407224/

Not including the thousands of dollars in property taxes, of course.

Or the costs for cleaning/fumigating that crackhouse.
Yeah, I guess Detroit sounds like fun then hahaha.

Moving to USA is something I may consider in the future. I've been to NYC on holiday and it was very awesome.

When I took the metro line that goes all the way up Bronx it was pretty scary though. There were some dudes at the bottom of the stairs who looked like they were looking for people to mug but I braved it and went out for a walk.

Overall though, NYC was really, really awesome.

Also, I found in interesting how there are US flags everywhere. On every bus, coach, train, police/fire uniform, building, any kind of large shop etc. We don't get that here in the UK.
Reply 32
San Francisco has a high cost of living. Expect to pay alot just to rent a place unless you know someone that can give you a good cost.

San Francisco's neighbor's, Oakland, is a reputable place for having high crimes. Be caution if you ever go there.
Reply 33
This American guy on the plane from Germany last night told me that each state is different e.g. some are more chilled out and have different weather than others. The expenses including the properties differ and California is one of the most expensive states. However the properties are generally absolutely amazing for what is paid for, especially in Florida. Apparently places like New York are a lot more snobby too. The contacts you acquire play a major part in getting work out there e.g. knowing the right people. Also, if you work for an American company in the UK you could travel to its office in the US, depending on the company etc.
Reply 34
How's about studying an undergraduate degree there? Anyone have an idea of what that's like, because I've wanted to do that since I started looking into uni's. : )
Reply 35
I'm 16 right now, revising my GCSEs, then I'm off to college to do 3 A-Levels.

After my A-Levels I'll be 19 like you, and I'm planning on going to the USA to do a degree.

Like someone else said, I'm plannng on marrying someone over there.

If I'm over there for 4 or 5 years, I'm bound to find someone worthy of me :yep:

Good luck with it all,
Kellan.
Reply 36
It takes ages, years maybe to get hold of a green card.
You really have to sell yourself.
if you want to study in america it can be really expensive, i had a look a while ago and depending on the college/ university you go to and where it is, but the amount it costs for a year here can be for one semester there if not more for international students.
plus undergraduate degrees there can take 4 years and they don't have the same help with finance as they do here. once you start looking at random places to see the cost it can be really depressing!
Reply 38
I'm looking to head over to the USA to and I'm in the final year of my degree. The problem is that recruiters over there don't take you seriously once they see on your CV that you aren't American.

Sure getting into the country for things like holidays are fairly straightforward, but its near impossible if you want to get a job. Basically think about it this way:

You're going for a spot in a consultancy firm. You first have to go up against any Americans going for the same spot. If they manage to not find any, they then go for abroad candidates and look for people who have experience before even getting to you (the graduate). There's a load of hoops to go through.

It seems if you're young and have come out with an adequate/above average degree but not spectacular you can forget about trying to get into the USA
Reply 39
Anyone have any experience of moving to US from UK WITH an american passport? Something I'm definitely going to do after University..

Also interested in opinions of places to live :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending