The Student Room Group

London Business School Masters in Management

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi everyone,
I applied for the last round at LBS, and just got an email for an interview. Yay!

Smartyboy, have you had your interview already?

I am located in Canada, so I am not even sure when the interview is going to happen. It just says that they will try to arrange it asap.

Freeman, thanks a bunch for sharing your interview experience! That's super-helpful. Do you have any suggestions on preping for the interview, apart from knowing ur essays well?

Did anyone else get an interview?
Reply 81
Hey all, some interesting discussion and insight here and very much appreciated. Congrats to all who've got what they were hoping for and best of luck to those underway.

I thought I'd ask for some advice about my own situation. I applied to some business schools in Europe and it turns out that I have been admitted to both London Business School and HEC Paris for their respective Masters in Management (MiM) programs. I'm in quite a fix now though (a good kind, I know, but still a fix!) because I can't quite decide between the two - I was hoping you all might have some insight to share to help bring a little more clarity to the matter for me.

Just for some context, my objectives for doing an MiM are (in order) 1) to gain practiced business skills and knowledge, 2) to leverage the brand and personal development programs of the school to get a good start in the job market, 3) to identify possible future specializations and industries and 4) to learn a second language (I have intermediate fluency in both french and spanish). I am open to working in the US, Europe and Asia (where I hail from) after I finish my postgraduate studies. One main weakness to my resume is that I have only done one summer corporate internship (unpaid, freshman summer) so I lack the soft-skills and experience of working. My interests career-wise are management consulting, branding/marketing and social enterprise, and industries like telecoms, energy, new media and internet technologies all interest me.

What makes the decision so difficult is that I feel like there are different sets of pros and cons associated with each choice, that are hard to compare. LBS is a brand new one-year intensive program. It's new so I expect teething problems, it's one-year and intensive which is cheaper and more 'efficient', it's LBS which is a top-name school, it's in the heart of London so lots of big businesses and opportunities there. No chance to do an internship to bring back to class though.

HEC is the top MiM program globally for many years now so it will be a great learning experience, but I'm worried that it's reach is only European, or worse, within France. It's two-years, so more costly, but I plan to take a gap year in between my first and second years to do one or two long internships in Europe, and gain fluency in french. I don't mind limiting my first job search to Europe but I would not be fully ok with just France.

I apologize for the lengthiness of this, but I figured some context and my initial thoughts would help you all get a better idea of my dilemma. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated regarding what you think is the true value of each degree. Am I just paying for the name of LBS on my resume? Is getting work experience much more important for me at this point than finishing my MiM in a year? These are just some of the questions I've been thinking over.

Thanks for reading, and for being willing to hear me out.
Hi,
I just got an interview invitation from lbs mim and I was wondering if anyone can give me some guidelines regarding the interview process, such as the questions asked and how difficult is to get admitted.
Thanx in advance
Reply 83
panathinaikos
Hi,
I just got an interview invitation from lbs mim and I was wondering if anyone can give me some guidelines regarding the interview process, such as the questions asked and how difficult is to get admitted.
Thanx in advance

Congratulations mate!If I were you I won't tell them about my football preferences...Good luck!

ps.Can you tell me your achievements so far?Degree , work exp etc?Thank you
GMAT 710 (q49 v38)
TOEFL 109
First Degree: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (7.62)
1y in the army
Reply 85
Nice...Good luck in your interview!
Reply 86
Panathinaikos we already have 2 people in the program with similar resumes so i think they like your profile.
Make sure you can answer the typical questions(why LBS, why this degree, where do you want to work, how will you contribute to the program etc).
As i said before check the MBA questions, they ask the same things.
Do a mock interview before the real one.
Hope to see you in three months.
Unfortunately today LBS informed that I was put in the waitlist. Does anyone know anything about that process? I would really appreciate any info because I am really nervous and I want to know my possibilities of getting admitted. I really thought that my profile was suitable for the mim, I guess I was wrong. Plz any info would really help me..
Reply 88
panathinaikos
Unfortunately today LBS informed that I was put in the waitlist. Does anyone know anything about that process? I would really appreciate any info because I am really nervous and I want to know my possibilities of getting admitted. I really thought that my profile was suitable for the mim, I guess I was wrong. Plz any info would really help me..

Don't blame yourself. You applied quite late, keep hope.
With a GPA of 3.1, what are my chances of making it to Masters in Management (LBS)? Also, which are the things I need to focus on apart from trying to land a brilliant GMAT score?

I heard they are looking for people who have exhibited leadership skills in community services or some non-professional field; any ideas how I should try to improve there since I will apply after about 1 year? One last thing , when I will apply there , I'd have a work experience of around one year; 6-months in a telecom firm and 6 months in an e-commerce consultancy - both full time jobs, would that make a difference?
Reply 90
You should be sure not to have more than 1 year of full-time working experience. I talked to the MiM staff about this, and if you do have worked for more than 1 year you can be quite sure not to be accepted onto the programme.

Apart from this any activity in (student) associations, business, volunteer work etc is appreciated and an important aspect of your application.

Good luck!
Reply 91
Just dont write you work history if its more than one year. How they will check it? Esp for international students. They are so naive with such requirements :biggrin:
Reply 92
This thread has been really helpful.

I'm a management student at Essex University and I want apply for the LBS Master's in Management programme 2010/11 too. However, I've seen others elsewhere in the TSR forums state that the MiM will be very similar to my current degree, is this true?

In any case, since LBS is ranked highly in TSR and other students seem to esteem it above Said and Judge and the other European business school but in my opinion you cannot see Oxbridge as just Said or Judge because of the reputation of the institution.

Thus, what do you guys think is the best non-business MA/Msc degree to apply for at Oxbridge, for a student with a Bsc Management student?
Reply 93
Hi everyone,
This thread has been really helpful, but I'm wondering if I could get some feedback on whether or not I'd be a good candidate for the MiM program and what I should emphasize on my application?

I graduated from Boston University's College of Communication in 2008 with a BSc in Film & Television, magna cum laude. My gpa was a 3.49, but BU is well known for it's grade deflation and only two others in my graduating class had a higher gpa, receiving summa cum laude. I wasn't particularly active in college (at least not as much as in high school) but I was a member of the choral society, on the production crew for our college's late night talk show, took ballroom dance classes, and participated in community theater productions. And I worked part time to pay my way through school. The summer before my junior year I interned with MTV Networks in NYC. I spent the last semester attending classes at the BU campus in Losa Angeles and interning at NBC Universal (for The Office, Ugly Betty, The Tudors, Biggest Loser) and a casting agency.

After graduation I moved back to Boston and worked part time in a retail store, temping when it was available and moved to London in January on a six month visa. Not only did I fall in love with the city, but I was able to find a four month contract job at the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival (I got to go to Cannes to run the Media Lions awards and interact with all the CEOs and sit in on their discussions - so interesting). When my visa expired I backpacked through Europe on my own and then came home. I've found it difficult to find a job since then though, which is why I'm applying for the MiM program. Not only could a degree in business make me stand out and add to my undergrad degree which is somewhat specialized but I'm also looking to explore other areas such as marketing/branding/media and feel a MiM could give me a broader skill set.

Do you think I have the relevant background/experience to get into the program? I come from a working class background, so I was never able to go to expensive prep schools and don't have any family connections to get me prestigious internships, although the ones I have landed are considered very selective within my field. I haven't taken the GMAT yet but I scored very high on the SATs and am putting a lot more into studying for this, so my scores should be somewhat comparable. Is there any place for high school achievements on the application? It seems so long ago, so I'm not sure how relevant it is, but I was much more involved in the community, being a competitive dancer, choreographing local musicals and teaching dance and theater to kids. I was also valedictorian, a member of the National Honor Society, and a National Commended Scholar, and active in Key Club and SADD.
Reply 94
Mimi1986
hi everyone!
I have been accepted to LBS MIM and HEC Paris MSc in international business. Since I have a BSc in business administration I am not sure which course will I benefit the most from?
Please give me your opinions...Paris or London??

Hi Mimi1986
I kind of have the same situation as you!
Could u pls tell me which one you chose in the end and why? and after taking the program how do you think about it?
I would appreciate your anwer!
thanks!:smile:
what are the job opportunities and starting salary one can expect after graduating with the mim? I ask this because as an international student, it will be a huge investment and I want to make sure that the investment will not go waste.
Reply 96
@indianstudent: I am a MiM2010 student and I think it is too early to say anything about your question. Recruitment is in progress right now and we are busy with applications and interviews. Some got jobs already, but the job market, especially in London, is very tough right now.
Reply 97
IMHO, the LBS MBA trumps the MiM in all aspects. In the ideal case, instead of the MiM get some work experience and do the MBA in a few years time. If not, I think you're better of with a finance degree from IC, LSE or Oxbridge. While LBS is highly regarded by employers, most have the MBA in mind when they think of LBS and will probably just be puzzled when hearing MiM.
Reply 98
@rsingh: Well, the LBS MBA has existed for I don't know how long and has developed a very good reputation. The MiM programme is completely new and after some years (and rankings) it will get known better. You cannot expect a brand new programme to be known everywhere already. The MiM also has a different target audience and certainly MiMs will hardly ever compete with MBAs for job positions.
Personally, I already got a job offer from a top 3 strategy consulting firm and they said they do not expect me to do another MBA for career progression. They understand that we have the same high class faculty and programme as the MBAs.
But I completely agree with you that there are other very good programmes out there as well and that the MiM is not the perfect choice for everybody. You mentioned some finannce degrees but not everybody is interested in finance and some other programmes I think are too theoretical (e.g. Mngt. and Strategy @ LSE).
Has anybody heard from LBS MiM programme yet for either Round 1 or Round 2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending