The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by duggs95
I'm sure Exeter DOES have an amazing social life and is really buzzing all the time. What I trying to do was to paint the picture of my worst possible hypothetical college.

I wasn't trying to say that small colleges are sleepy I just meant that the fact that they are small would mean that there is possibly more of a chance they might be not so buzzing. Obviously this link does not exist from your evidence and I shall consider small colleges although I still think I would prefer large colleges for some reason. However, I will visit all sizes of college when I come to take a look round the University before making any kind of decision.

I am surprised by the figure of 340 undergradutes. This hardly makes Exeter a small college! Instead, it's almost as big as some colleges considered to be the largest!!

From my experience (of other small and large colleges), I still don't think that link exists, i.e. small = more of a chance. I'd say it just depends on the year group at hand.

The fact that only first years and 40% of third years live in college goes towards explaining why Exeter appears 'smaller' than the larger colleges.
Reply 1581
Oh come on, the Waynflete isn't that bad. It's a bit of a 60s monstrosity but most of the rooms are fairly spacious and it's sociable, which is why they put first years in there. At Magdalen you are just outside walls for 1st year, and then inside walls for 2 if you want it. The top 3rd year rooms are some of the best in Oxford. I was half way down the ballot in third year and yet am writing this in a big ensuite room which looks out over the deer park. So basically you're guaranteed three years, with one slightly low quality year followed by two in which you can live in very nice rooms.
Hi.

I don't want to make an open application to Oxford when I apply next year, but I'm not entirely sure which college to apply to.

Has anyone got any colleges they would recommend, or advice for considering colleges? (Preferably for PPE)

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1583
Do you have any preferences? Size of college? Age? Location? Size of subject group? Type of accommodation? Living in vs living out? Anything? It's really difficult to recommend a college to someone who just says "I'm applying for PPE" and nothing else.

Here are six random college websites.

St Hugh's
Pembroke
Magdalen
St Catz
Wadham
Univ

Have a look. That's a start...

Once you have an idea of a few colleges you like the look of, the best thing to do is make a trip to Oxford, if you can, and visit as many colleges as you can.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1584
Think about size, location, number of people doing your subject for a start.

Be sure to go to the open day next year to have a look around :smile:
Reply 1585
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Hi.

I don't want to make an open application to Oxford when I apply next year, but I'm not entirely sure which college to apply to.

Has anyone got any colleges they would recommend, or advice for considering colleges? (Preferably for PPE)

Thank you in advance.

be aware - some colleges are a lot harder to get into than others. For example, you will have a 1/20 chance of getting into PPE at Balliol, versus a 1/3 chance at St. John's. Be aware.
Get a pen and paper, write all the colleges down and go one by one through the college websites and cross out the ones you can't/don't want to go to. There’s a decent article on here somewhere that summarises the good and bad points of each. Then go on an Oxford open day and visit the ones you haven't crossed out.

Done!

Hertford stood out for me personally when I went to the open day with my school. I had no intention of going to Oxford though.
Reply 1587
Original post by joeyg
be aware - some colleges are a lot harder to get into than others. For example, you will have a 1/20 chance of getting into PPE at Balliol, versus a 1/3 chance at St. John's. Be aware.

It doesn't really work like that.

Original post by Ollie901
There’s a decent article on here somewhere that summarises the good and bad points of each.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons
This is what I should have done, and am now advising you to do:-

1. Once you're sure you have picked the right subject, look at Oxford's official website/prospectus to weed out the colleges that don't offer it.

2. Now research the colleges that are left. There is an abundance of information for this: college websites, college prospectuses, alternative prospectuses, TSR etc. You should be able to ascertain the feel of each one, the variations between them and to again weed out colleges. For example, with the course I applied for, EP, I automatically discounted LMH because its section on entry reqs was much more detailed (ie stricter) than say, Worcester's. Also the tutors for each college may be something to take into account. If you're interested in the Chinese economy from the second half of the 20th Century til now, and find an Econs/Pol tutor whose interests match this, then that may be a college you should flag up for serious consideration. There are other factors too- like size, reputation for your subject, distances from certain places, whether it is big on sports/music/drama etc.

3. Visit the remaining colleges. There really is no substitute for going up there and seeing them for your self. Even if you can't, at least make sure you've picked one you really like the sound of, one that you could rattle off a whole list of reasons for if asked "Why did you choose us?"

BUT at the end of the day, the college you choose might not be the one where you are interviewed, or ultimately offered a place at (hopefully you will get to this stage!) so try not to pin all your hopes on College X or Y, or Oxford for that matter. Good luck!
Reply 1589
Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx

BUT at the end of the day, the college you choose might not be the one where you are interviewed, or ultimately offered a place at (hopefully you will get to this stage!) so try not to pin all your hopes on College X or Y, or Oxford for that matter. Good luck!

This is important to remember. I applied to Brasenose and was sent to Keble for interview, some guys were sent on from there to Pembroke, Merton and others.
Reply 1590

yes it does, are you calling me a liar? :s-smilie:
http://www.chooseoxfordcollege.co.uk/

Don't base it on this by any means, but check out the top ones that come up for you.
Thank you to everyone for the replies, they've all been very helpful. :smile:
Original post by joeyg

If there are 20 applicants per place at Balliol, the standard of applicant is likely to be pretty high, so those people are more likely to get accepted elsewhere than the 3 applicants per place at St. John's. In general, the system is geared towards minimising the effect of college choice on getting in, by means of second interviews, open offers, etc.

Technically yes, your chance of getting into your first choice college is smaller if that college is oversubscribed. But the wider context of your chance of getting into Oxford is more important to the vast majority.
Reply 1594
gosh, you're already asking for 2012 admission :0
Reply 1595
Original post by joeyg

Well, your post wasn't technically incorrect (although the numbers for St John look a bit iffy to me - where did you get those from, if I may ask?), but it was oversimplistic, because you were making it sound as though 19 out of 20 Balliol PPE applicants are rejected, but that isn't what actually happens. As Balliol is so oversubscribed for PPE, most of those applicants simply get reallocated to other colleges, where they may well succeed in getting offers, although of course they can no longer get offers from Balliol. So while it might be true that only one in 20 people who apply to Balliol for PPE gets into Balliol, Balliol applicants' overall chances of getting offers aren't significantly worse than those of people who applied to St John's, which was what your post seemed to be implying.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1596
Original post by hobnob
Well, your post wasn't technically incorrect (although the numbers for St John look a bit iffy to me - where did you get those from, if I may ask?), but it was oversimplistic, because you were making it sound as though 19 out of 20 Balliol PPE applicants are rejected, but that isn't what actually happens. As Balliol is so oversubscribed for PPE, most of those applicants simply get reallocated to other colleges, where they may well succeed in getting offers, although of course they can no longer get offers from Balliol. So while it might be true that only one in 20 people who apply to Balliol for PPE gets into Balliol, Balliol applicants' overall chances of getting offers aren't significantly worse than those of people who applied to St John's, which was what your post seemed to be implying.

Original post by Huw Davies
If there are 20 applicants per place at Balliol, the standard of applicant is likely to be pretty high, so those people are more likely to get accepted elsewhere than the 3 applicants per place at St. John's. In general, the system is geared towards minimising the effect of college choice on getting in, by means of second interviews, open offers, etc.

Technically yes, your chance of getting into your first choice college is smaller if that college is oversubscribed. But the wider context of your chance of getting into Oxford is more important to the vast majority.

please cease with your slanderous incorrect allegations. You are clearly both idiots and not at Oxford. I assume you are both studying film studies at De Montford or similar.
Reply 1597
Original post by joeyg
please cease with your slanderous incorrect allegations. You are clearly both idiots and not at Oxford. I assume you are both studying film studies at De Montford or similar.

:rolleyes:
OK, thanks for settling any remaining doubts as to your motivation. And now kindly go away and troll some other forum.
Choose one at random. You'll probably end up liking it.
Reply 1599
Original post by joeyg

I love people like you! Helpful, polite, positive, and most of all right.

Now go and troll elsewhere, please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending