The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford DPhil college preference

Hello, I am applying for the DPhil in Cancer Science at Oxford. The application gives the chance to state a college preference with the option of giving no preference. Does anyone have any experience on whether choosing/not choosing a college looks favourable for postgraduate applications? (went to a non oxbridge uni as an undergrad) And if so, what factors people take into consideration when choosing their college. And if this is likely to be picked up on in the postgraduate interviews.
It doesn't matter, if you don't choose one you'll just get assigned to one. There's also a good chance you'll get assigned to a different one you choose anyway.

THe main factor to consider is if you want to be considered for certain college specific funding, they may specify you put them as your first choice college. So keep that in mind. That siad if you apply for other college specific funding and intially allocated to one college but get the other college's college specific funding, you will be reallocated to the one with the funding normally as I understand :smile:

For graduate study the college is really just where you live (at least, initially - I think typically PhDs live out after first year?) and where you get pastoral support. Your main "hub" will be your department (or more specifically, research group usually) for your studies and experience otherwise (you don't get in-college teaching for graduate courses normally, unlike undergraduate courses).
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by LFaulkner1
Hello, I am applying for the DPhil in Cancer Science at Oxford. The application gives the chance to state a college preference with the option of giving no preference. Does anyone have any experience on whether choosing/not choosing a college looks favourable for postgraduate applications? (went to a non oxbridge uni as an undergrad) And if so, what factors people take into consideration when choosing their college. And if this is likely to be picked up on in the postgraduate interviews.

Hey - I have applied for the same degree for 2024/2025 entrance. Can I ask when did you hear back from them after the deadline? my anxiety is through the roof because of all this waiting....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending