The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
reems23
I've met Sir Robest Winstron First in a lecture on science communication and then on a ski holiday

I've had lunch with him! He don't 'arf like to talk about himself! He did have tips for applying to medical school though, and said I should apply to BL!
Reply 61
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
The person in question's brother was cleverly dishonest to get into med school by bluffing his work experience. When he applied, he wasn't a doctor, he was a student and there are many advantages to being a dishonest student! Honestly (), people need to get over this, people lie on job applications all the time. I applaud the guy for pulling off such a successful one.

Fitness to practice isn't just a fantastic album...
...it's a way of life.
ThisLittlePiggy
...it's a way of life.

Fittness to practice?

I would beg to differ on those doctors I've known.

To the best of my observation medicine is treated as any other wage. Try and earn as much as you can for minimum effort, with a view to retiring.
terpineol
Fittness to practice?

I would beg to differ on those doctors I've known.

Yes, there are some eejits out there for sure and defo eejits whom I know that will be definitely be Doctors one day. Funny yet scary.This was what I was on about when I said"a way of life" in relation to the AM Transplants album "fitness to practice". The stuff in that album resonates through life.

:top:
Reply 65
i love how so many people are making the assumption of "lied on personal statement - therefore bad and dishonest person - therefore would make a bad doctor"

very naive
bean87
i love how so many people are making the assumption of "lied on personal statement - therefore bad and dishonest person - therefore would make a bad doctor"

very naive

I once put a poll up here for who lied on their PS.

Naturally it either concluded that people don't lie on their PSs, or those who did carry on lieing about it.

In terms of people actually in medical school that I know, a vast amount of kniving was deployed by almost all to get in.
bean87

very naive

How?

(Note: How is Glaswegian for why)
Reply 68
i think i voted on that poll. was an interesting thread full of neg rep and abuse. i think this issue will go on forever, or until people have to validify their experience.

each to his own hey
Reply 69
ThisLittlePiggy
How?

its my opinion.

i'll answer why? with there are far more qualities relevant to becoming a good doctor than whether or not someone lied on PS. assuming someone will be a bad doctor for that one reason is naive
ThisLittlePiggy
How?

It does tickle me how glaswegian is so different.

Things like "oven needs cleaned" etc

'To be' is always ommitted.

Little things like that pop up all the time.
bean87
its my opinion.

i'll answer why? with there are far more qualities relevant to becoming a good doctor than whether or not someone lied on PS. assuming someone will be a bad doctor for that one reason is naive

What puzzles me about the surprise people often express when spotting that some people aren't entirely honest on UCAS, is that the same people will say being completely set on medicine and really really wanting a place is vital. If you want a place that much, you cheat for it. Maybe its me being my usual unethical self, but the two points seem inextricably linked to me.
bean87
i think i voted on that poll. was an interesting thread full of neg rep and abuse. i think this issue will go on forever, or until people have to validify their experience.

each to his own hey

I have an idea, look for a new poll in general discussion. If this goes how I think it will, it does finish the issue.
Reply 73
terpineol
What puzzles me about the surprise people often express when spotting that some people aren't entirely honest on UCAS, is that the same people will say being completely set on medicine and really really wanting a place is vital. If you want a place that much, you cheat for it. Maybe its me being my usual unethical self, but the two points seem inextricably linked to me.

completely agree. if i had a chance to win a huge sum of money, £50k for example (similar value to how much i wanted to do medicine) but it meant me shafting one person that i didnt know.... it would really be a no brainer

poor honesty does not equal poor skill, efficiency, personability, empathy, care and love of the job
bean87
completely agree. if i had a chance to win a huge sum of money, £50k for example (similar value to how much i wanted to do medicine) but it meant me shafting one person that i didnt know.... it would really be a no brainer

poor honesty does not equal poor skill, efficiency, personability, empathy, care and love of the job

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18087239#post18087239

Thus far (as of three posts) its gone as I expected, that the general public expect dishonesty in the pursuit of a valuable prize. I don't know about you, but I regard a slot at medical school as a valuable prize.
I just think it is a really **** thing to do.
ThisLittlePiggy

I don't mean to dispute that for a moment. I would however say that its done more than most like to admit.
terpineol
I would however say that its done more than most like to admit.

I don't really care how many people do it. ThisLittlePiggy hold himself and his colleagues to higher standards and the fact that many people do it doesn't make it less of a **** thing to do.
Reply 78
ThisLittlePiggy
I don't really care how many people do it. ThisLittlePiggy hold himself and his colleagues to higher standards and the fact that many people do it doesn't make it less of a **** thing to do.

some would say that people who refer to themselves in the 3rd person are tools.
ThisLittlePiggy

i can completely understand where you're coming from but tbh they're not even medical students yet, let alone doctors. so they still have time develop the necessary qualities (even though they should have already).

Latest

Trending

Trending