The Student Room Group

Bleeding whilst on the pill?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by siany..x
hi everyone i have the same problem .. im on the pill and the last couple of days i have been bleeding ( not as much as a period but enough to make me worry !! ) i didnt take much notice of it the first couple of day as i thought it might be because i started a new pack after my break !!
i havent been taking my pill the same everyday and i missed two the other day is this why ??
thanks

You should really be taking your pill at the same time everyday. If you're late by more than 12 hours in the first or last 7 days of your pill pack you are not protected (for the first part = 7 days before and after so you may need emergency contraception; for the last 7 days not protected after so use a different method of contraception if you need) If you miss a pill in the middle week by more than 24 hours you aren't protected either.
hi guys. I've been going through the same thing. I've been on it for 3-4 years and over the pat few months have been bleeding irregularly. I've had an ultra sound and there's nothing wrong with my ovaries/womb/bladder etc. I just don't know what it could be. does anyone have any ideas? I'd be grateful for any insight :smile: also, does anyone know how long a morning after pill can affect you for? I took one last month, so I've already had a period since I took it. but could it effect this one too? thank you.
Reply 22
I've been on the pill for about 3 and a half years and for the past 2 months ive had this too, anyone know any more?
Reply 23
I just started microgynon 30 over a week ago, and the doctor advised me to start it when I got my period (it advises to do this in the leaflet of the pack, so you'll be covered from the outset) but my period is over now and I'm still bleeding/spotting. Is this normal?
Don't worry, I've been on the pill (Microgynon 30) for several months now and this happened to me. It can be due to an irregularity in taking the pill. I was taking it at different times of the day. When I went to see my nurse, she said it was nothing to worry about and perhaps just a change in hormones. Had sex with my boyfriend before or after this then continued to have periods as normal
Reply 25
Original post by LaurenFah
Spotting is normal no matter how long you've been on the pill. Without being too graphic, how heavy is it? Also, have you been on antibiotics or ill recently?

this has been happening to me as well. I've also just started anitibiotics and i think that may have caused it, can they cause bleeding/spotting?
Reply 26
i am having a similar problem, i have been on microgynon since January and took it solid until the 24th of March when i stopped for 3 weeks because i was off on holiday, i got my period in the first week of being off the pill. i started taking the pill again roughly on the 14th of April and all has been fine until this morning when i have started bleeding, is this because i stopped for too long it has messed it all up? i have exams next week so this is the last thing i need but should i just stop the pill from tomorrow for a week and then start again?
Original post by katy14
i am having a similar problem, i have been on microgynon since January and took it solid until the 24th of March when i stopped for 3 weeks because i was off on holiday, i got my period in the first week of being off the pill. i started taking the pill again roughly on the 14th of April and all has been fine until this morning when i have started bleeding, is this because i stopped for too long it has messed it all up? i have exams next week so this is the last thing i need but should i just stop the pill from tomorrow for a week and then start again?

Hi, as you had a break and started again in April, effectively you've started the pill from scratch and so you are new to the pill and spotting is normal in the first few months when you take them normally (ie 21 then a 7 day break).
If you stop the pill now when you are not supposed to (unless it's your break of course) then it can cause even more spotting, so I wouldn't stop this packet because otherwise next week you'd have a period, and also spotting too because you're new to the pill.
Good Luck in your exams by the way :smile: x
Reply 28
thank you! if i was to take my pill for 21 days and then stop then i would be due to stop next week anyway, however when i took the pill for 3 packets without stopping it was fine so i was hoping to do this again to cover all my exams and then my holiday in about a months time. My 'spotting' has got quite heavy as the day has gone on and i would not say it is more like a period as i am getting cramps in the stomach, would you say this is still just spotting and to continue as normal? thank you for your help! bloody lady problems!
Original post by katy14
thank you! if i was to take my pill for 21 days and then stop then i would be due to stop next week anyway, however when i took the pill for 3 packets without stopping it was fine so i was hoping to do this again to cover all my exams and then my holiday in about a months time. My 'spotting' has got quite heavy as the day has gone on and i would not say it is more like a period as i am getting cramps in the stomach, would you say this is still just spotting and to continue as normal? thank you for your help! bloody lady problems!

Eugh tell me about it, when I first started the pill I bled every single day of the month, but it was all normal apparently, but annoying :frown:
Your body would have changed whilst off the pill and could be reacting differently to it now (I've read stories of women perfectly fine on it, then they came off, then went back on and their bodies couldn't handle it anymore and they got terrible side effects- but they were off it for a few months) I would continue as normal anyway with this packet, if you come off it will screw up the cycle for when you go back on :smile: If its like a light period then its completely normal, according to this website:
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/combined-oral-contraceptive-pill

'[h="2"]Bleeding whilst on the pill (breakthrough bleeding)[/h]During the first few months, while your body is adjusting to the pill, you may have some vaginal bleeding in addition to the usual bleeding between packs. This is not serious but more of a nuisance. It may vary from spotting to a heavier loss like a light period. Do not stop taking your pill. This usually settles after the first 2-3 months. If it persists, see your doctor or nurse. Another brand of pill may be more suitable for you.'
Reply 30
Perfect, thank you! i will continue going with it and see what happens! thank you for your help! :smile:
Original post by katy14
Perfect, thank you! i will continue going with it and see what happens! thank you for your help! :smile:

You're very welcome. I hope it all goes well for you :smile:
no,you should be fine takes 4 days for it to get into your system,ive had unprotected sex while spoyted bleeding and ive been fine,thought i was pregnant when you keep bleeding off and on,as this happened with my friend amd she got pregnant but i did a 3 tests and all negative, ive been bleeding off and on for about a month now
Reply 33
Hi,
I have been taking the pill for almost 8 years now. I started on Microgynen 30 and have never had any problems with it up until about April this year. I started bleeding in between periods, quite light at first but started to get heavier. I went to the Doctors, they did a smear test, high vaginal swab (which both came back fine). I also did a pregnancy test at the doctors and that came back negative. The doctor changed my pill to Cilest a few months back which is similar to Microgynen 30 but stronger. You take the pill for 21 days and have a 7 day break the same. Since being on that pill the bleeding seems to have got worse. I took my last 2 packets back to back as I was on holiday and didn't want a period while I was away. I bled for the whole of the first week, then had a week where I was okay. I then started bleeding again last Tuesday and am still on now, even though I'm not due on unil this Friday. I have been back to the doctors today and she is sending me to an STI clinic! I couldn't believe it when she told me, I have had the same partner for 8 years. I haved demanded a scan on my ovaries which she reluctantly agreed to. I am getting very worried now. It is ruining my sex life as I feel like the bleeding is getting more frequent. I too have been Googling and I am very worried. I have got it into my head that I'm going to end up infertile. I don't know where else to turn, just glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Anyone got any advice?
Yep, tell me about it! I've been on microgynon 30 for 5 years and last month started to spot, I didn't have my break because I wanted to see if it sorted itself out but it has gotten worse and I'm heavier now.

I've literally just got back from the doctors and he said 'wait it out until you finish this pack, have your break then start the next. If there is no change then come back'. I'm worried and it's made me feel rubbish and ruin my sex life with my boyfriend. The fact that he hasn't given me any piece of mind has also upset me.

I'm tempted to change my contraceptive but wouldn't know what to get and I dread the side effects. I'd also like advice!
Cab anyone help; ive been on my pill fot years. I took it without a break for 3 months and began to get spotting. Ive now not comre on my period? Should I be worried?
Hi everyone. I have been on levest (same as microginon for a good three years. In the last month I have had light spotting once or twice of a browny colour a few weeks apart. I was scared I was pregnant but my period came when it should. However it was a bit lighter than usual (normally my periods last 7 days even on the pill) but it lasted about five. So for two days I had no blood and assumed I had finished. So today a week since my period started I bled again weirdly and stil bleeding now so a good few hours. Anyone know if this is normal? I've never spotted before and I know I'm being paranoid but that's me!
Hi. Advice please. I'm really worried . I came off the pill for my break but while I was on my break I had to take the morning after pill last Friday . Then I had to started my pill again on Monday . When I was on my break I never had a period . But now I'm on the pill I'm bleeding . I'm not too sure if its blood or what ? Its like a brownish red . Everyone's saying to stay on the pill till my next break . But I really don't know what to do .
I've nearly finished my 2nd packet I'm on the micro-30 pill, and I have 4 days until my 7 day break, but I started bleeding today, and I have cramps... Am I okay?
So, I've nearly finished my second packet of the microgynon 30 (don't know how to spell it) and I have 7 days until my break but I've started bleeding and I have cramps too, am I okay?

Quick Reply

Latest