The Student Room Group

Should Israel own nuclear weapons?

I don't see the problem with it, as they already get enough grief from the rest of the Middle East, and so I think nuclear weapons are a good way of proving that Israel is the boss. I also don't think it's up to other countries to decide who owns weapons capable of mass destruction, unless we all want to disarm (which will never happen anyway).

What does everyone else think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.

Then again I'm totally against nuclear weapons so I believe no country should own them.
Reply 2
so America has the right to invade Iraq, claiming they have weapons of mass destruction? who are they to decide who owns weapons !!!!!!!!!!! If Israel is allowed, then every other country that wants to own nuclear should be allowed without the any other countries interruption !!! ie Iran! why is Iran a terrorist country to own it.. but Israel are just defending themselves

why is that Israel can have all the weapons, but the poor Gaza were imprisoned and starved because they owned rockets, that don’t do any harm ? ? ? ? ?
Reply 3
Human2009
so America has the right to invade Iraq, claiming they have weapons of mass destruction? who are they to decide who owns weapons !!!!!!!!!!! If Israel is allowed, then every other country that wants to own nuclear should be allowed without the any other countries interruption !!! ie Iran! why is Iran a terrorist country to own it.. but Israel are just defending themselves

why is that Israel can have all the weapons, but the poor Gaza were imprisoned and starved because they owned rockets, that don’t do any harm ? ? ? ? ?

Yeah, I'm sure the rockets were for the Palestinian Space Agency :eyeball:
Unless all countries give up their nuclear weapons, then all countries should have the same right to own them.
'Israel' shouldn't own anything.
Reply 6
Human2009
rockets, that don’t do any harm ? ? ? ? ?

well actually those rockets did do a lot of harm, and it was hamas who owned and operated them, not the gaza civilian citizens.

no country ought to have nuclear weapons but often nuclear power is a very good resource (not ideal in my mind considering all the waste products). nuclear power plants are closely linked with nuclear weaponary development so... tricky one.

the fact is that israel does own nuclear weapons but i highly doubt they'd ever use them. america would be the one doing the nuking before israel had a chance. israel's a bit like the sidekick going "YEAH! YOU HEARD!" after america has a go.
Reply 7
What Democracy said, noone should have them. Period.
Reply 8
No because it then gives justification for countries in the same area ie Iran to have them and once that starts it all goes to shiz
Reply 9
Hmm I thought they had a 'secret' storage of nuclear weapons because they tested some out back in the 70s and 80s. Wouldnt surprise me if the US had stored some in Israel for close range attacks to middle eastern countries.
Democracy
No.

Then again I'm totally against nuclear weapons so I believe no country should own them.

This
Reply 11
Vintage <3
'Israel' shouldn't own anything.

land included?

South Africa, Israel --> any associations, anyone?
In short, no.

Neither should anyone, but if Westside is still allowed to pick and choose who gets to have them, then Israel probably shouldn't.
Reply 13
they can already kill enough Palestinians without nuclear weapons..

:yep:
What does it even matter? They do own nuclear weapons, and seem to have a stabilising effect on the region. There's no chance of disarmament, and there's a miniscule chance of their use (if Israel faces complete destruction at the hands of a foreign power).
Reply 15
ForeverIsMyName
What does it even matter? They do own nuclear weapons, and seem to have a stabilising effect on the region. There's no chance of disarmament, and there's a miniscule chance of their use (if Israel faces complete destruction at the hands of a foreign power).

nukes have a stabilizing effect on the world? who benefits? everyone? US? It's allies? New World Order (G20)?

use your brain (if you have one, of course).
Either every country has the right or no country does.
Reply 17
You can say no one should have them all you want, it's not going to happen. That said, I do agree...

Should Isreal have them? Perhaps not, but, as I said in the other thread that got closed, they are a relatively stable country with democracy, that has shown restraint, generally, in warfare and the like. They've had enough weaponary to totally destroy all the neighbours that want Isreal wiped of the planet and have held back.

My 2p.
Reply 18
Talking about this matter in terms of "should be allowed" is very naive.

Israel does not ask for anybody's permission, just like Iran doesn't care about what the world seems to think about it.

The west is worried about Iran's nukes more than it worries about Israel's, and it's very clear why - Iran is much more likely to use it against the west than Israel is.

The same is true for the Arab world, by the way.

Iran goes around threatening and scaring everyone, then pretends to be surprised when everyone act scared.
Reply 19
Yes, Israel needs nukes as a deterrent as it is constantly under threat from its hostile Arab neighbours. Ideally, though, no one would have any.

Latest

Trending

Trending