The Student Room Group

GCSE's At Oxford, Cambridge and LSE (Economics)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
littlemiss-sunshine
The B at maths GCSE may not be good enough for LSE, but they focus loads on the personal statement so you never know...
As for economics at Oxbridge - whether or not you get an interview at Oxford is primarily decided by how well you perform in the test you have to sit first (TSA); the interviews I had were mainly problem solving based around game theory and questions about management based upon a given extract. I know that there is no test for Cambridge so they're likely to place more weight on grades and PS.
I'd say go for it but don't put all your hopes upon getting in, and I'd only go for LSE or Oxbridge not both, so you've still got 4 choices where you may stand a better chance of getting in. Hope that helps (:

Thanks for the advice, do you study economics at Oxford?, I thought Cambridge had a test, and what other universities would you suggest I am considering applying to Harvard I don't know if that counts as one of your 5 choices as it is in the US.
Unlikely you'll get into anyone of them however look at Warwick there pretty high up and your more likely to get into there. Its your PS thats most important my friend did 5 AS's does 4 A levels straight A's , and straight A* and A's GCSE didnt get into Warwick probably because he lack of extra curricular, so in your case do loads of things outside of school.
Reply 22
DaveParlour
Considering the amount of competition for Economics courses, those GCSE grades will set you back a long way. With your A-level choices, the Business AS will be practically ignored as you are doing Economics A2. Your Maths A2 will also be practically ignored as you are doing Further Maths A2, they see it as if you can get an A in FM, then an A in Maths is standard, but they do hold FM in relatively high regard in this instance. So effectively you have Further Maths, Physics and Economics at A2, the others just show you can cope with a workload. You better be hitting the high 90+ UMS scores if you want a chance at Cambridge, or getting an A in every module if you want a shot at Oxford / LSE.

What standard of school did you go to? e.g. the 5 A*-C GCSE pass rate?

I cant remember the exact pass rate, but it was low for my year very low in fact.
Reply 23
yoyo462001
probably because he lack of extra curricular, so in your case do loads of things outside of school.

Any suggestions which are highly looked upon?
econ1
I cant remember the exact pass rate, but it was low for my year very low in fact.

Well the lower it is, the better your chances are, especially at Cambridge, LSE not so much as they dont look as in depth at your application (cant speak for Oxford).

Mine for example was an icredibly low 19%, putting it in the bottom 5% of schools in the country, and was a significant factor in me receiving an offer I believe.
Reply 25
DaveParlour
Well the lower it is, the better your chances are, especially at Cambridge, LSE not so much as they dont look as in depth at your application (cant speak for Oxford).

Mine for example was an icredibly low 19%, putting it in the bottom 5% of schools in the country, and was a significant factor in me receiving an offer I believe.

How does this affect the my application? Do they see lower rated school students more valuable? :confused:
Reply 26
How does this affect the my application? Do they see lower rated school students more valuable? :confused:

Yes I know before I receive a mountain of criticism.
They would stand a chance with Oxbridge but probs not LSE.
econ1
Any suggestions which are highly looked upon?
Cant really say tbh, it depends more on how it benefited and improved you as a person, literally flood the PS statement with extra curricular, a good mix is talk half on the course and other half on extra stuff. Things like, prefects, playing instruments, being part of sport teams are good.
econ1

Say you came from Eton, it is standard to get straight A*/A's and so Universities expect you to have this as a minimum. If you come from a really bad school where generally teaching standards are lower and it is far from normal to achieve A*/A's, thus setting you apart from the crowd as something unexpected. It shows more natural ability, capability of independent learning and potential than the person from Eton with similar or even higher grades. Basically if you went to a fantastic school and got those GCSEs they wouldn't even give you an interview, but coming from a bad school they're more understanding of lower grades, realising that you may still have potential.
Oh and if you apply for LSE don't apply for Oxford or Cambridge, either go Oxbridge or LSE.
Reply 31
DaveParlour
Say you came from Eton, it is standard to get straight A*/A's and so Universities expect you to have this as a minimum. If you come from a really bad school where generally teaching standards are lower and it is far from normal to achieve A*/A's, thus setting you apart from the crowd as something unexpected. It shows more natural ability, capability of independent learning and potential than the person from Eton with similar or even higher grades. Basically if you went to a fantastic school and got those GCSEs they wouldn't even give you an interview, but coming from a bad school they're more understanding of lower grades, realising that you may still have potential.

Point taken. :top:
Ignore anyone saying they want to see extra-curriculars in your personal statement, that is a myth and a lie. Concentrate on showing your love of the subject, and only include extra curriculars that are closely linked to you furthering and exploring this love of the subject. Do not waste any time saying I played for such and such a team, they do not care.
Reply 33
yoyo462001
Oh and if you apply for LSE don't apply for Oxford or Cambridge, either go Oxbridge or LSE.

Why is that?
Reply 34
I have similar GCSEs as you (AAABBCCCCC) and I'm in year 12 so I've only just started looking at universities. I've prettymuch dismissed the idea of going to oxbridge :/ Does anyone know what kind of university people with our type of grades go to because I'm just worried I wont go to a good one even if I do well at a level (doing chemistry, physics, maths and psychology got AABC in january exams)
Reply 35
yoyo462001

Because my 5 where going to be:

1. Oxford
2. LSE
3. UCL
4. Warwick
5. Birmingham (just incase everything go's tits up)

And maybe Harvard if that counts as one of your 5.
econ1
Why is that?
My economics teacher told me Because if you apply in Oxbridge deadline LSE know youve applied there and they dont like this, by going with Oxbridge your pretty much saying you Oxbridge is where you want to go and LSE is your backup being a top uni they dislike this. happened in my school all the ones that applied LSE and Oxbridge got rejected straight away however ones that didn't go for Oxbridge with a worse application got interviews and such. your already have weak GCSE's so you dont want any of other disadvantages.
Reply 37
HAPPYCUBE
I have similar GCSEs as you (AAABBCCCCC) and I'm in year 12 so I've only just started looking at universities. I've prettymuch dismissed the idea of going to oxbridge :/ Does anyone know what kind of university people with our type of grades go to because I'm just worried I wont go to a good one even if I do well at a level (doing chemistry, physics, maths and psychology got AABC in january exams)

What course do you want to study?
Reply 38
econ1
What course do you want to study?

Well I'm not completely sure :eek3:
I think either chemistry or natural science ...I was also looking at chemical engineering :woo:
Reply 39
Could someone please help me i am in year 11 and wish to go onto oxbridge and LSE whether to take 5 or 4 as/ a-levels.Do they not look at GCSEs which are linked to the degree so like economics degree linked to business/economics GCSE???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending