The Student Room Group

Does it annoy you?

Does it annoy you if you get someone a birthday present and then they don't repay the favour by getting you one? I've had this happen to me before but it was usually because they just didn't really have any money to buy one which is understandable.

However, my friend gets pretty much everyone a gift and I was even out with him for hours trying to help him pick a gift for these friends of his and they really enjoyed it (they were pretty expensive gifts as well) yet they never got him anything in return when it was his birthday. He was pretty angry and got really annoyed because they just couldn't be bothered and it wasn't a money problem or anything. This got me thinking - would you get annoyed too? Thinking about it I think I probably would too, not in the greedy or selfish way that I want presents but sort of decent thing to do to get a present for someone who got you one isn't it?
Reply 1
I can't say i've been in the situation myself so I don't really know how i'd feel but i did feel sorry for my friend because our birthdays are a week apart and all my friends gave me presents but when it was hers it was only me who gave one to her.

I did ask my other mates if they'd bought something for her but they all shrugged :s-smilie:

Personally, i'm not too fussed about presents in the first place as long as they acknowledge it's my birthday i don't mind! :^_^:
Reply 2
I get people birthday presents but I don't want any back...:smile:

So no?
Reply 3
I'm not bothered about bday presents.

Don't really care what I get lol.
Reply 4
I adore buying people presents but it does kinda annoy me when people don't return the favour, or even get you a card or something, especially when its close friends.

One of my friends I have known for 2 years now and consider her to be a pretty close friend. Her birthday the first year (I'd known her for about 8 months) and I got her a really nice present for her birthday. When my birthday came round a few months later she didn't even come to my birthday meal and I got no card, birthday text or present. The following year we went out for her birthday and I bought her a drink and got her an expensive present (it was her 18th after all) and a bottle of champagne. When my birthday came round, nada. She didn't even buy me a drink, or give me a card.

It pisses me off really. Its the thought that counts.... I don't mind if she doesn't get me an expensive present, or even just a card, but SOMETHING would be nice!
Reply 5
depends how well you know them really and how much money they have
Reply 6
fran.ha
I adore buying people presents but it does kinda annoy me when people don't return the favour, or even get you a card or something, especially when its close friends.

One of my friends I have known for 2 years now and consider her to be a pretty close friend. Her birthday the first year (I'd known her for about 8 months) and I got her a really nice present for her birthday. When my birthday came round a few months later she didn't even come to my birthday meal and I got no card, birthday text or present. The following year we went out for her birthday and I bought her a drink and got her an expensive present (it was her 18th after all) and a bottle of champagne. When my birthday came round, nada. She didn't even buy me a drink, or give me a card.

It pisses me off really. Its the thought that counts.... I don't mind if she doesn't get me an expensive present, or even just a card, but SOMETHING would be nice!

That's how I feel about it too. I'm not suggesting that I spend £50 on a gift so now they must spend £50 too or something. Just some sort of gift or even card would be appreciated. If money is an issue then I understand and that's fine by me but when they just don't get a present because they can't be bothered - that is when it annoys me.

Latest

Trending

Trending