The Student Room Group

What should I do after my diploma?

This is a rather long question, so to explain I'll start from the beginning. Three years ago I went through an extremely rough relationship which through me into a extremely deep depression. I was diagnosed with serious clinical depression and anxiety, and generalised anxiety disorder. I saw two psychiatrists, a mental health nurse and two different councelors. I started doing yoga as a means to help with my stress. I went on two different kinds of anti-depressants for about two years (only recently I've come off them) and anti anxiety medication. A year back I started doing a college course in music, studying for a diploma. It was the biggest step in my recovery to date, and although it really challenged me, I managed to push through it (it finishes in about two months). Halfway through the diploma course I was amitted to hospital because I started to get extremely bad cramps and was diagnosed with acute ulcerative colitis (which in my opinion came on due to the emotional pain I went through the year before).
It is relatively under control now, but I still find my life very stressful. I work 16 hours a week part time whilst doing my course, and I am wondering what I should do after I get my diploma.

My dad suggested I go on to do a foundation degree, which I think is a wise idea, however, I really feel I need a short break to help myself calm down a bit, as it has been extremely tough for me the past few years. I don't know whether I should just go straight into doing another two year course/foundation degree or whether I should take a one year break and just work. I also don't feel academicaly ready for a foundation degree yet, as I basicaly blagged my way through the diploma, not understanding a word, so I feel on an emotional and academic level a year break would benefit me more so I could focus on catching up and ''de-stressing'' before going and tackling the foundation degree.

I am currently twenty years old. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Take a year out and steady yourself. It sounds to me like you've earned a break, and another year (or more, if need be) won't make any difference to your prospects - certainly no more than putting yourself under too much pressure would. A false start will do far more damage to your confidence than a late one will.
Nursing :awesome:

nah in all seriousness focus on yourself before going onto something you may not feel ready for yet; otherwise you won't be able to get the most out of it

Latest

Trending

Trending