The Student Room Group

Travel and Tourism L3 Extended Diploma

Hi everyone.
I am 16 and currently in the first year of my Level 3 Extended Diploma. To be honest, I'm finding it so difficult and I'm not enjoying the subject anymore. Will I get a qualification if I leave at the end of Year 1? If so, what would the qualification look like?

Also, I have applied for a Business Level 2, as I am more likely to cope with less workload. Is it frowned upon to go down a level in education?

TIA
Original post by oliverwithers
Hi everyone.
I am 16 and currently in the first year of my Level 3 Extended Diploma. To be honest, I'm finding it so difficult and I'm not enjoying the subject anymore. Will I get a qualification if I leave at the end of Year 1? If so, what would the qualification look like?

Also, I have applied for a Business Level 2, as I am more likely to cope with less workload. Is it frowned upon to go down a level in education?

TIA

A Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Travel and Tourism consists of 13 units of which 8 are mandatory, and the other 5 are chosen from a range of options. Is is designed to be taken across two years.

There are also two similar, but smaller courses, for which you might qualify after having done the first year of the Extended Diploma:
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Travel and Tourism (6 units, of which 4 are mandatory and 2 are chosen from a range of options).
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Travel and Tourism (8 units, of which 6 are mandatory and 2 are chosen from a range of options).

When teaching the Extended Diploma, most colleges will arrange to teach the modules which would qualify you for the Foundation Diploma or the Diploma in the first year, specifically so you have a qualification if you opt to leave at that point. But colleges don't have to do that. So take a look at the table below, from the specification, and see which modules you'd done (or will do) this year. That should tell you whether you'll be able to walk away with a Foundation Diploma (worth 1.5 A levels) or a Diploma (worth 2 A levels).

BTEC Level 3 National in Travel and Tourism - Structure.JPG

Note that the BTEC Level 2 (which you're proposing to move to) is on a par with GCSEs, whilst the Level 3 qualification is on a par with A levels.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
A Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Travel and Tourism consists of 13 units of which 8 are mandatory, and the other 5 are chosen from a range of options. Is is designed to be taken across two years.

There are also two similar, but smaller courses, for which you might qualify after having done the first year of the Extended Diploma:
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Travel and Tourism (6 units, of which 4 are mandatory and 2 are chosen from a range of options).
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Travel and Tourism (8 units, of which 6 are mandatory and 2 are chosen from a range of options).

When teaching the Extended Diploma, most colleges will arrange to teach the modules which would qualify you for the Foundation Diploma or the Diploma in the first year, specifically so you have a qualification if you opt to leave at that point. But colleges don't have to do that. So take a look at the table below, from the specification, and see which modules you'd done (or will do) this year. That should tell you whether you'll be able to walk away with a Foundation Diploma (worth 1.5 A levels) or a Diploma (worth 2 A levels).

BTEC Level 3 National in Travel and Tourism - Structure.JPG

Note that the BTEC Level 2 (which you're proposing to move to) is on a par with GCSEs, whilst the Level 3 qualification is on a par with A levels.
Heya I'm doing Units 1, 2, 4, 5, 8 and 12 this year. Does this not qualify me for anything?
Original post by oliverwithers
Heya I'm doing Units 1, 2, 4, 5, 8 and 12 this year. Does this not qualify me for anything?

Those units will qualify you for the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Travel and Tourism (worth 1.5 A levels).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending