The Student Room Group

Further Maths related question

Ok... the problem is that my school does not offer Further Maths and I did not find the information that I need on the Cambridge International Examination webpage. I would like to buy the books and study them by myself as the teachers are not going to help me too much with it because it was my decision to take it and they do not give in extra work or advice for any student (but I love Maths and it is really useful for the Economics course too). I am taking Maths A level in autumn and I have chosen Statistics for both As and A level as the 'optional' topics. For those who are taking Further Maths what are the options, do I have to take Mechanics,too, are there 2 or 3 compulsory papers and what books should I buy? (I have searched on Amazon but I did not find anything relevant yet) Could I take the exam by the end of the next academic year as I will have to rush it up because I am applying for entry in 2010. I had no problem with studying Maths As level in 1 month and I am starting the A level component this summer so I have time, but I heard that Further Maths requires more than 2 months and a half. Please help me on this one as the teachers will not offer any extra advice but I could take the exam as an external candidate. Thanks a lot.
Reply 1
wrong forum.

and use paragraphs.
Reply 2
Lisa_n
Ok... the problem is that my school does not offer Further Maths and I did not find the information that I need on the Cambridge International Examination webpage. I would like to buy the books and study them by myself as the teachers are not going to help me too much with it because it was my decision to take it and they do not give in extra work or advice for any student (but I love Maths and it is really useful for the Economics course too). I am taking Maths A level in autumn and I have chosen Statistics for both As and A level as the 'optional' topics. For those who are taking Further Maths what are the options, do I have to take Mechanics,too, are there 2 or 3 compulsory papers and what books should I buy? (I have searched on Amazon but I did not find anything relevant yet) Could I take the exam by the end of the next academic year as I will have to rush it up because I am applying for entry in 2010. I had no problem with studying Maths As level in 1 month and I am starting the A level component this summer so I have time, but I heard that Further Maths requires more than 2 months and a half. Please help me on this one as the teachers will not offer any extra advice but I could take the exam as an external candidate. Thanks a lot.

Seeing it as you do CIE A levels, I think I might be a bit of help. (Did most of my A levels with CIE.)

For CIE A level Maths, you would need to sit 2 papers, one of which contains all the pure chapters which is usually the same amount as in FP1, FP2 and FP3 with the odd bit in or the odd bit out, meaning there will be some differences. (Btw I'm talking about Edexcel FP1, FP2 and FP3 since that's what I did instead of CIE A level, but I'll get onto that later). The second paper includes Stats and Mechanics questions of which you will have to do all of them, but you may miss mechanics questions out at your expense. You can still probably get an A in that paper if you don't answer any mechanics questions, however you'd have to get 100% correct all the Stats questions, and trust me they are hardcore.

Well, my version of this is pretty similar to yours, I started off wanting to do Further Maths, but not being able to seeing as my school didn't offer it. I was lucky enough to have a teacher on that specific year that knew something about Maths and that had taught FM Edexcel at Dulwich in London. Hence I took on the course at my own risk and in my own time. I redid all of my A level Maths and Further Maths again straight from September 2007 to take 9 modules in Jan 2008 and three in June 2008.

That's what I did and ended up with the marks you'll find in my sig. So I'd say, you're probably better off doing Edexcel, or AQA or OCR Further Maths if possible where you have a choice of taking either Mechanics or Statistics...

Also, all the British boards have endorsed material, whereas CIE doesn't really have an endorsed book to study from, though it may not be a real problem, it might be if you're self teaching... As well as the mark schemes for most of the CIE Further Maths papers do not exist.

Hope that helped..
Reply 3
Check out the Further Maths network:
http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/

As for option modules, it's quite flexible depending on your exam board (I'm on AQA). Your S1 & S2 modules may get transferred to Further Maths if it gives you the best grade overall. For Further Maths modules, you basically take another six Maths modules, I'm not sure if there's a requirement on how many FP modules you have to do, but I'm doing FP1, FP2, FP4 and D1, D2 and M2 options. (Maths is C1-4, M1 & S1)

I hope this helps you, good luck with it :smile:
Reply 4
assmaster
Check out the Further Maths network:
http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/

It's how I'm studying Further Maths now.
As for option modules, it's quite flexible depending on your exam board. Your S1 & S2 modules may get transferred to Further Maths if it gives you the best grade overall. For Further Maths modules, you basically take another six Maths modules, I'm not sure if there's a requirement on how many FP modules you have to do, but I'm doing FP1, FP2, FP4 and D1, D2 and M2 options. (Maths is C1-4, M1 & S1)

I hope this helps you, good luck with it :smile:

Well, CIE is not exactly the same as British boards... :rolleyes: But they may contain useful information anyways...
Reply 5
xinolisss
Well, CIE is not exactly the same as British boards... :rolleyes: But they may contain useful information anyways...

I have no idea what CIE is...

My advice would be awesome if it was for British use.
I'll just go now... :erm:
Reply 6
Thanks a lot everyone.

Chewwy
wrong forum.

and use paragraphs.

Sorry for not including paragraphs, I was in a hurry, and I thought that I should be posting in here because I am applying to Cambridge and this is one of the most helpful forums. Sorry again.
Reply 7
assmaster
I have no idea what CIE is...

My advice would be awesome if it was for British use.
I'll just go now... :erm:

It stands for Cambridge International Examinations...

International Awarding body for AS and A levels as well as O levels and IGCSE amongst other things... basically they're just like AQA, OCR, Edexcel... but work differently in many ways. We don't have modular exams... blah blah blah

Which is kinda the reason why OP posted here

Latest

Trending

Trending