The Student Room Group

applying after gap year

Hello

I am considering taking a gap year to think more about what i want to do for university.

I hold offers but deferring these would mean i have made the decision that that's the course for me, just with one year in between.

If you take a gap year without holding a deferred offer, would you be at a disadvantage applying in the next UCAS cycle from a position of gap year work/travel rather than a position of still being in the education system? Is your application as valid if the results are from last year compared a current year in education?
Reply 1
Original post by discomfortd
Hello

I am considering taking a gap year to think more about what i want to do for university.

I hold offers but deferring these would mean i have made the decision that that's the course for me, just with one year in between.

If you take a gap year without holding a deferred offer, would you be at a disadvantage applying in the next UCAS cycle from a position of gap year work/travel rather than a position of still being in the education system? Is your application as valid if the results are from last year compared a current year in education?

deferring entry for a different course does not affect your application for the year ahead, you are actually at an advantage as you have a plan to fall back on if things don't go in line with what you want.
You’ll be considered exactly the same. There are a small number of competitive maths programmes that like you to have done something relevant in the interim.
Reply 3
Original post by Raheem_w
deferring entry for a different course does not affect your application for the year ahead, you are actually at an advantage as you have a plan to fall back on if things don't go in line with what you want

Thank you for your reply.

So i can accept a deferred offer then still apply to a different course in the next cycle while holding the offer?
Reply 4
Thank you for your reply.

So i can accept a deferred offer then still apply to a different course in the next cycle while holding the offer?

It's not possible to hold a deferred offer and then re-enter the next UCAS application cycle. If you want to reapply, you reject all your current offers. Depending on how flexible the university is though, you could ask them about this and see if they'd reoffer you the next year?
Original post by Admit-One
You’ll be considered exactly the same. There are a small number of competitive maths programmes that like you to have done something relevant in the interim.

Sorry to hijack a little, would sitting A-Level Further Maths in a gap year, when not taken previously, be viewed in a positive light?
Original post by AnotherStudent!
Sorry to hijack a little, would sitting A-Level Further Maths in a gap year, when not taken previously, be viewed in a positive light?

Depends on the course+uni. I’m assuming it’s for a maths related course? If so, it may strengthen an app, but you’d need to check whether it’s worthwhile as a few unis would want all your grades to be taken in the same sitting.
Original post by Admit-One
Depends on the course+uni. I’m assuming it’s for a maths related course? If so, it may strengthen an app, but you’d need to check whether it’s worthwhile as a few unis would want all your grades to be taken in the same sitting.

Thank you, I'll contact them to make sure
Original post by AnotherStudent!

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. I just wanted to add that Further Maths is not required for many degrees here including mathematics (it will lower your grade requirements though). So while it may look good, you don't need to feel a need to complete it especially if it would be self funded which can be quite expensive. In addition, the majority of universities only consider your top three grades so if for example you happened to get AABC with the C in further maths it may not be considered anyway. Please feel free to ask me any questions, general university or maths related.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Hello

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. Taking a gap year does not make your application any less valid although it may be beneficial to do something productive during that year such as travel, part time work, competitions in your chosen topic or even just reading around your topic. This will just help to show growth and/ or interest and is not a requirement. In addition, to reapply you will need to reject any deferred offers beforehand. Please feel free to ask me any questions, general university or maths related.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest