The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There were two boys who commited sucide in my school, not sure why obviously and not in the actual school itself. It is a sad thing though.
Reply 61
Martin_Kellogg
Sorry if this sounds insensitive but I've thought it really odd that people use RIP. I mean, of all the things to abbreviate...When I die I hope nobody does this to me, it's such a cliche and it's like you can't even be bothered to say something original when giving your sentiments to somebody who passed away.

Sorry if this is a ******** post.

I kinda get where you're coming from.
I find it so... odd and impersonal when people write 'RIP blah' on their facebook stati and msn names. Or euphemisms like 'sleep well, angel'.

Sympathy to his family and friends.
Reply 62
jonnyz
Sorry, I don't mean to upset you. I'm not saying all people who commit suicide are cowards.

But in these circumstances, based on what has been said, I can't see how the boy's life was 'hard' in any way.

People don't always have depression because they have 'hard lives'. It's a mental thing. People think they cannot go on, because they are mentally ill. You can't blame and call someone who is mentally ill a coward.
Reply 63
I feel for his friends and family.
The amount of people a single suicide affects......tut tut tut..
Ehmo
People don't always have depression because they have 'hard lives'. It's a mental thing. People think they cannot go on, because they are mentally ill. You can't blame and call someone who is mentally ill a coward.

The mental illness makes the life too hard to continue...
Reply 65
But people who commit suicide are not all mentally ill (though a lot are). Others may be depressed or upset, but that is not a mental illness.
Reply 66
Life is never hard enough to justify suicide.

There must have been underlying pyschological problems.
Reply 67
Thanks for everyone who have shared their experiences aswell. Everyone at school today were donating money and they raised about £500 for a memorial plaque i think near his home and in school.
Reply 68
jonnyz
Others may be depressed or upset, but that is not a mental illness.

Depression is a mental illness. I would also be fascinated to know how many people that commit suicide are simply upset.

Dorito
Life is never hard enough to justify suicide.

That really depends on your philosophy.
Reply 69
Its really sad when bright students who are a role model for the rest of us go in such a bad way. My best friend died to cancer in year 10 and he also was honestly such a great guy. we just have to move on though. there is nothing else we can do but pray for them if you are a religious person and have our thoughts with their families. We are all going to die eventually, at least these young lads died young enough so they don't suffer from the harsh things in the world.
Reply 70
BJack
Depression is a mental illness. I would also be fascinated to know how many people that commit suicide are simply upset.

A prolonged feeling of depression is yes.

But everyone feels depressed sometimes, and it is not that uncommon to have suicidal thoughts. Does that make everyone metally ill?
Reply 71
jonnyz
Sorry, I don't mean to upset you. I'm not saying all people who commit suicide are cowards.

But in these circumstances, based on what has been said, I can't see how the boy's life was 'hard' in any way.

Just wondering what you mean by this? How would you know?
Reply 72
*Sighs* OMG, I thought you were talking about Josh Hartnett!
I dont know how you could do that, sure put yourself out of misery but look at all of the lives that he has made unbearable. I feel sorry for the kid as he must have been going through rough **** to have to take his own life but this should be a lesson to all of those who are suicidal, look at the devastation you will cause.
RIP Josh.
the good people all seem to die young. if anyone has experienced a friend/relative dying, they'll know what i truly mean. as for the suicide it is sad isnt it? i used to teach in japan and students committing suicide is nothing new over there. bullying and pressure are the main reasons. in fact, my friend was four weeks into his job when his student committed suicide. sad times.
Reply 75
cpj1987
Just wondering what you mean by this? How would you know?

Based on what can be inferred from other posters about his academic and social situation. Though I may be wrong, I didn't know him. Maybe his life was hard. But tell me, what hardships can a Year 11 boy really face that make his life unbearable?
Reply 76
jonnyz
Based on what can be inferred from other posters about his academic and social situation. Though I may be wrong, I didn't know him. Maybe his life was hard. But tell me, what hardships can a Year 11 boy really face that make his life unbearable?

Many.
Using my own experiences; I attempted suicide twice at the age of twelve. I failed, clearly, and I'm very glad of that.
Suicide IS a weak thing to do, considering the fact that everything can be improved given plenty of time and effort, but still, when you're in that situation you don't see that things can be improved. Though suicide is a weak thing to do, it's also a very strong thing to do. I was weak for almost killing myself, but still not strong enough to do so.
Not every child has a happy, perfect life, though; and you can disguise things on the outside. It's likely that this boy was going through a lot, even if it wasn't obvious to other people; which is exactly WHY it reached the point where he killed himself.
TSR: Where even death can turn into an academical debate
jonnyz
But people who commit suicide are not all mentally ill (though a lot are). Others may be depressed or upset, but that is not a mental illness.

Wanting to kill yourself means that your strongest and most basic instinct, the instinct to survive, is being overridden. This means your brain has changed. You are out of your mind, and different rules apply. You're wasting your time trying to understand or explain in your own, rational terms something which is the ultimate in irrationality.

To all those moralising about it: you are doing so because you don't understand. If you had any sense at all you'd be glad that you don't understand. And anyway, morality has nothing to do with suicide. Suicide just is, it cancels everything out, it is the antidote to every single part of the human condition, its like a black hole. And don't forget that as far as the perpetrator is concerned, you all don't exist anymore either, you all died with him when he stopped thinking about you.

If you are decent human beings, you should feel sympathy. You should feel sorry for how he must have lived, if not how he died.

The level of naivety in this thread is shocking. I don't know how anyone can presume to know the mind of someone who is clearly out of it. Just accept that it can't be judged by any rational standards.
Reply 79
Never attempted suicide but don't think it's a selfish thing to do! Clearly the people who think this don't know what it's like to feel that there is completely no hope in life.

Latest

Trending

Trending