The Student Room Group

IB Biology - Precautionary Principle

I was studying the Greenhouse Effect topic, and the syllabus states that we have to evaluate the precautionary principle to justify strong action in response to the threats caused by enhanced greenhouse effect. How does the precautionary principle link to the greenhouse effect when precautionary principle is about the change, i.e. greenhouse effect, not doing harm before proceeding? I am really confused by this. If there is anyone who can briefly explain to me the concept, it will be extremely helpful! :smile:
Reply 1
I would suspect that they're trying to ask you the ways in which greenhouse emissions can be reduced rather than opting for other, clean solutions.
Reply 2
The precautionary principle states, in regard to global warming, that companies/people should have to prove that their products/actions do NOT contribute to the greenhouse effect. It's basically "guilty until proven innocent" rather than the other way around.
E_D_B
The precautionary principle states, in regard to global warming, that companies/people should have to prove that their products/actions do NOT contribute to the greenhouse effect. It's basically "guilty until proven innocent" rather than the other way around.

You mean innocent until proven guilty, since the person must prove that his action will not enhance the global warming? And he will be allowed to take that action for as long as he is not proven guilty of contributing to global warming?

Just to clarify: Would the signing of Kyoto Protocol be a precautionary principle? And is stopping deforestation by developed countries an example of precautionary principle? Even though they help to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide, but the developed countries cannot expect developing countries to follow suit especially if their economy depended on wood resources. Since the priority of developing countries is to improve their economy rather than preventing global warming. Is a justification why the precautionary principle cannot be implemented?
Reply 4
the_somersaulter
You mean innocent until proven guilty, since the person must prove that his action will not enhance the global warming? And he will be allowed to take that action for as long as he is not proven guilty of contributing to global warming?

Just to clarify: Would the signing of Kyoto Protocol be a precautionary principle? And is stopping deforestation by developed countries an example of precautionary principle? Even though they help to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide, but the developed countries cannot expect developing countries to follow suit especially if their economy depended on wood resources. Since the priority of developing countries is to improve their economy rather than preventing global warming. Is a justification why the precautionary principle cannot be implemented?

No, I mean guilty until proven innocent. The person or company must prove that what they are doing does NOT contribute to global warming, and until they have done so it must be assumed that it does contribute - and must therefore be avoided.

I don't really understand your second paragraph, tbh. I do SL biology, and if you do too then you really don't need to know about Kyoto or the economies of developed countries anyway.
Reply 5
Okay, so basically the precautionary principle states that 'When an activity raises the threat of harm measures should be taken even if a cause and effect relationship has not been established scientifically', so basically if there's a chance of something causing global warming, then don't do it. So in order to 'justify strong action', you could say that banning deforestation is a strong action, but deforestation causes harm by increasing global warming, and so you are justified in banning in because it is helping to combat global warming. I wouldn't worry about it too much anyway, you're not likely to get a question worth very many marks on the precautionary principle.
Thank you guys for your help! I understood it much better now. :biggrin: I really don't get why we have to study this...

And thanks for the reassurances. I shall not worry about this anymore then. I still have so many others to read up on! :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending