The Student Room Group

The Alternative Economics League Table (TAELT) 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Paulwhy
Yes that is an accurate transcription of the information on page 1 of this thread. Well Done. :smile:

Question:
Most likely i will be applying for Economics straight, at LSE, Nottingham, UCL and Manchester... for a 5th choice, is applying for Economics+Statistics at UCL a good/bad idea? because im not keen on warwick or cambridge
Reply 61
neomilan
Question:
Most likely i will be applying for Economics straight, at LSE, Nottingham, UCL and Manchester... for a 5th choice, is applying for Economics+Statistics at UCL a good/bad idea? because im not keen on warwick or cambridge

Bad idea (the standard advise as explained in the Econ uni guide applies): if (with a straight econ PS) they don't let you in for straight econ I don't see them letting you in for E+S.
Also why Manchester?
Reply 62
Paulwhy
Bad idea (the standard advise as explained in the Econ uni guide applies): if (with a straight econ PS) they don't let you in for straight econ I don't see them letting you in for E+S.
Also why Manchester?

hmm, would applying to Econ+Stats only at UCL instead of straight economics be wise? due to the competitive nature of the course and my gcse's not being the 8A* that they love and give offers to?

manchester for the university and the economics degree is very optional, i know that the reputation for economics is not that good, but most people who come out of manchester with the BA have got good jobs in financial sector... if i do not get into my first 4 choices then manchester will be fine to go to
Reply 63
neomilan
hmm, would applying to Econ+Stats only at UCL instead of straight economics be wise? due to the competitive nature of the course and my gcse's not being the 8A* that they love and give offers to?

No: don't rate your chances apply to an Econ+Stats course with an Econ PS.

neomilan
manchester for the university and the economics degree is very optional, i know that the reputation for economics is not that good, but most people who come out of manchester with the BA have got good jobs in financial sector... if i do not get into my first 4 choices then manchester will be fine to go to

So you would prefer Manchester to one of the AAB.2.1 unis?
Paulwhy
Also Oxbridge do interview a lot of candidates. e.g. I recall reading on the Oxford website that they interview 90% of applicants. So that gives nearlly everyone a chance to make their pitch.

Oxford interviews roughly 90% of all applicants, but the most competitive courses (E&M, Law) only interview about 50%, or less. At interviews I got the image from the tutors' starting speech that one in three applicants survived to interview this year.
Reply 65
Roundabout
Oxford interviews roughly 90% of all applicants, but the most competitive courses (E&M, Law) only interview about 50%, or less. At interviews I got the image from the tutors' starting speech that one in three applicants survived to interview this year.

Would be good if the Economics Offers 2009 thread entries for Oxford (and CAmbridge and LSE) were completed.
But it is my impression over the past 2 cycles that it is easier to get Oxbridge interviews than offers from other top unis (esp. Top 5). This is is consistent with the 50%/33% figures which are much higher than the applicant:redface:ffer ratios for the top 11 econ.

Secondly at least the decision to interview or not is based on the TSA which is current and on economics (correct?) rather than being based on historical generic academic qualifications (e.g. GCSE A*s used by LSE).
Paulwhy
But it is my impression over the past 2 cycles that it is easier to get Oxbridge interviews than offers from other top unis (esp. Top 5).

Anecdotally, I would say this is almost certainly correct. Numerous people I know secured Oxford interviews (not offers) and then failed to receive any offers from Top 5 Economics universities. As Oxford interviews, for Economics, anywhere between 5 to 10 as many people as they then make offers too, it sort of makes sense really.

Secondly at least the decision to interview or not is based on the TSA which is current and on economics (correct?) rather than being based on historical generic academic qualifications (e.g. GCSE A*s used by LSE).

The TSA features some questions which are easier if you've done Economics, but none of the questions require any actual Economics knowledge. In the essay component (Oxford only), there is one Philosophy, one Politics, and one Economics question to choose from.
Deipnosophist123
Anecdotally, I would say this is almost certainly correct. Numerous people I know secured Oxford interviews (not offers) and then failed to receive any offers from Top 5 Economics universities. As Oxford interviews, for Economics, anywhere between 5 to 10 as many people as they then make offers too, it sort of makes sense really.

I have a different anecdote, though. A highly qualified friend of mine (received an offer for LSE Management) didn't even get to interview at Oxford.
Great list, thanks for doing this it really is helpful. I was slightly confused though, can someone explain what the M** and E** symbols mean on the list. For example on Nottingham:

Paulwhy

7) Nottingham AAA/AABB M**p E**p m#a468 40% Student excess in 2008 So look for 7 or 8 GCSE A*s. Summary stats
AAA-B.1.0(360/340 Points)(Rejecting a lot of applicants with Top 5 offers!)(Bsc)

Cheers.
Reply 69
The Magnificent KoloToure
Great list, thanks for doing this it really is helpful. I was slightly confused though, can someone explain what the M** and E** symbols mean on the list. For example on Nottingham:

Cheers.

They are explained in the first post. M** means A-Level Maths and E** means A-Level Economics. The p after the two asterisks means preferred; so basically A-Level Maths and A-Level Economics are preferred options.
neomilan
Question:

sounds fine, a friend of mine wrote PS entirely for pure econ (I know for a fact as I proofread it for him as well) and got rejected for all of the remaining choices for straight econ, whilst, surprisingly, got an offer from ES at UCL. He later confessed to me that it was his 'safety' choice. So go for it, I mean why not?
Reply 71
BetterThanYesterday
sounds fine, a friend of mine wrote PS entirely for pure econ (I know for a fact as I proofread it for him as well) and got rejected for all of the remaining choices for straight econ, whilst, surprisingly, got an offer from ES at UCL. He later confessed to me that it was his 'safety' choice. So go for it, I mean why not?

did he has econ at UCL + econstats at UCL as two of his choices?
neomilan
did he has econ at UCL + econstats at UCL as two of his choices?

Yup he got rejected for the former while secured an offer for the latter.
.ACS.
They are explained in the first post. M** means A-Level Maths and E** means A-Level Economics. The p after the two asterisks means preferred; so basically A-Level Maths and A-Level Economics are preferred options.

Thanks.
Reply 74
Which economics and maths courses would you say are the best?
Reply 75
weaselpav

Define best. Also, what sort of split do you want? 50/50 or 60/40 or 75/25?
.ACS.

for economics and maths, which university has the best reputations from leeds, royal holloway, loughborough and sheffield
Reply 77
.ACS.

can you tell me about MEcon at southampton.
1. difficulty to get in
2. nature of the course how much better is it than other BSc economics and how optional is it?
3. what were your GCSE's A levels and subjects

thanks
Reply 78
.ACS.

Im looking at 50/50 preferably, by best i mean both the most prestigious and in terms of teaching quality.
Reply 79
weaselpav

For Maths they talk about COWI: Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial.

So for M+E maybe that gives Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending