The Student Room Group

The Alternative Economics League Table (TAELT) 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Paulwhy
For Maths they talk about COWI: Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial.

So for M+E maybe that gives Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and LSE.

The issue is, however, that neither Cambridge nor Oxford offer Maths and Economics. While the courses may be very mathematical, there still wouldn't be as much pure maths as in a Joint Honours degree.
Reply 81
weaselpav
Im looking at 50/50 preferably, by best i mean both the most prestigious and in terms of teaching quality.

The four best which are 50/50 and stand ahead the rest are LSE, Warwick, Nottingham, and Bristol. UCL is also up there, however, they only offer a 75/25 split; so if you opt for them, be aware you'll be doing a lot of pure maths (though some people opt for Economics & Statistics instead since that's a 50/50 split, though you're doing lots of stats instead of pure maths).

Cambridge and Oxford aren't on the list as while their courses are mathematical, they aren't Joint Honours and so you won't get anywhere near the same level of pure maths as you would on a JH course.
Reply 82
.ACS.
The issue is, however, that neither Cambridge nor Oxford offer Maths and Economics. While the courses may be very mathematical, there still wouldn't be as much pure maths as in a Joint Honours degree.

I have should have checked that.
So that leaves LSE and Warwick.
and I would not include UCL as their Maths department is not in the COWI group.
Reply 83
Is there any way for cambridge to combine an economics degree with a maths degree? Also what does 'COWI' stamd for?

Thanks for the help
weaselpav
Is there any way for cambridge to combine an economics degree with a maths degree? Also what does 'COWI' stamd for?

Thanks for the help

Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial "COWI" are the top maths departments in the UK.
Reply 85
MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SIK
for economics and maths, which university has the best reputations from leeds, royal holloway, loughborough and sheffield

All bar Loughborough are equal mathematics/economics whereas Loughborough is 60/40 mathematics/economics. To be quite honest, there isn't much in it between them, so really I think you should think about whether you'd prefer to do more maths or more economics, but that aside, at a push I guess I'd say Leeds is slightly ahead the other three and the other three are pretty much equal (but that's at a push).
Reply 86
neomilan
can you tell me about MEcon at southampton.
1. difficulty to get in
2. nature of the course how much better is it than other BSc economics and how optional is it?
3. what were your GCSE's A levels and subjects

thanks

Southampton isn't the most competitive of universities. If you're predicted the grades and have an alright PS, you're pretty much bound to get an offer. Many view them more as an insurance choice because the location is nice, the department is good, and they're not too fussy.

The MEcon course is less optional than the BSc, however this is because there are certain requirements for the fourth year (which is basically the MSc).
In the first year you have three options, one of which allows you to take more quantitative modules in the second year (to be honest I'd recommend this). In the second year, you have two options, but also choose between a more and less quantitative econometrics stream (depending on your option choices in the first year). In the third year you have three options. In the fourth year you have up to three options and also choose between a more and less quantitative econometrics stream.
In the third year you do one dissertation (worth two modules) and in the fourth year you do an advanced research project made from two components: one of an empirical nature and another associated with another topic you're covering.
While it may not seem very 'optional', you cover a lot of core macro and micro theory (the MEcon course is preparing you to be a professional economist, after all), and also there are plenty of options to choose from depending on your interests (there are lots of interesting options in the fourth year especially).
- Modules available during Years 1 - 3
- Modules available during Year 4

I didn't do GCSEs, but at A-Level have French at grade A and will get AAAB in Maths, Further Maths, Economics, and Chemistry respectively.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 87
weaselpav
Is there any way for cambridge to combine an economics degree with a maths degree?

Nope. Sorry. The best thing you could do if you really wanted to apply for Cambridge would be to choose all the mathematics/statistics options they offer within the Economics degree.

The modules are listed here.
Reply 88
weaselpav

Thanks for the help

warwick would be your best choice if you want to do maths economics, but im basing that on the fact that they are 3rd best for mathematics and one of the top for economics
Congratulations, Paul. This is an amazing work, so much information included. Thanks.
paul why, how much maths is actually in economics because im am really stuck weather to study maths or economics
Warwick University information: "Applicants are encouraged to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula such as Economics and Business Studies"
Is that real? Do they ususally prefer prospective students not to have taken Economics as A level?
Maybe this is not the adecuate thread but it makes some difference between universities...
Reply 92
marapermanyer
Warwick University information: "Applicants are encouraged to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula such as Economics and Business Studies"
Is that real? Do they ususally prefer prospective students not to have taken Economics as A level?
Maybe this is not the adecuate thread but it makes some difference between universities...

You can take A-Level Economics, however if you do so, they don't want you to also take A-Level Business Studies.
Reply 93
If I'm not going to get an A*, should I be ruling Cambridge out completely?
Reply 94
gilbare
If I'm not going to get an A*, should I be ruling Cambridge out completely?

If you won't get the grade, then yes.
Reply 95
what if i applied to:
nottingham - Economics and Econometrics

because obviously i love economics, but will also have done lots of statistics (s1 to s3 maybe even s4) therefore econometrics would be good for me ... was this also one of the oversubscribed courses subject to nottinghams GCSE rejections decision? is it just as hard to get into as economics at nottingham bearing in mind my grades and subjects?

thanks
Reply 96
neomilan
what if i applied to:
nottingham - Economics and Econometrics

because obviously i love economics, but will also have done lots of statistics (s1 to s3 maybe even s4) therefore econometrics would be good for me ... was this also one of the oversubscribed courses subject to nottinghams GCSE rejections decision? is it just as hard to get into as economics at nottingham bearing in mind my grades and subjects?

thanks

despite some people getting rejected with the reason of "less than 7A*" or whatever, im sure plenty of people were accepted with alot less than that, its just they have to provide an excuse for those who they rejected.

you're doing great a levels and you have great gcses, stop worrying about everything, its ridiculous. write a fantastic personal statement, apply for the course you want and the unis you want and you're well on your way. i think you need a 2 week breather off ucas/tsr before you explode of being too paranoid.
Reply 97
paulwhy
AAB/ABB.1 (320 Points) (Up to 17% of students have less than 320 points: Cardiff 9%, Loughborough 17%) Loughbourgh ABB in 2009
21) Loughborough AAB m#c(2009 ABB/AAC/ABab/AAbc) 378 (Times 24th(16th), Independent 25th(25th), Guardian 33rd(23th))

loughborough asks for 340 now :smile:
Reply 98
pow!
despite some people getting rejected with the reason of "less than 7A*" or whatever, im sure plenty of people were accepted with alot less than that, its just they have to provide an excuse for those who they rejected.

you're doing great a levels and you have great gcses, stop worrying about everything, its ridiculous. write a fantastic personal statement, apply for the course you want and the unis you want and you're well on your way. i think you need a 2 week breather off ucas/tsr before you explode of being too paranoid.

thanks, i know what you mean and i think you're right
but i really dont want to take chances by applying to nottingham for straight economics if the chances are that i'll get rejected
if economics+econometrics at nottingham is less competitive (which is what i need to find out) then i would go for that instead
Reply 99
marapermanyer

No. In general, economics is not required for any university economics course (because some schools do not offer it and it is taught from scratch at uni level) but it is seen as a useful subject. They don't prefer candidates not to have it.

I think the main concern is in fact with business studies which is seen as a soft subject. They definitely would prefer prospective students to not have business studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending