The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It really depends on what the universities, you are looking at, want. So look at their requirements/grades.
First hand, I would say that maths is more useful and looked upon as a solid higher result. It also depends on what level you did maths to before?
My friend is studying Law next year and for her 5th year she took English, Maths, Biology, Modern Studies and History.
To be honest, take something that is valuable and that you will enjoy. Subjects that you enjoy the most are invariably the ones you do best in!
Hope this helps, best of luck!
Reply 2
it is miles more valuable than rmps. 72% is fine. pick it.
Reply 3
You could wait till after you get your results and then decide. Our classes aren't finalised until the end of August, so plenty of time to change course choices.

But, I would definitely pick Maths over RMPS.
Reply 4
72% is more than good enough to cope with higher maths, maths seems daunting at first but as long as you get stuck in from the offset you will be fine. Pick maths.
Reply 5
I picked RMPS over Maths and i'm gaurenteed an A becuase I'm good at it, I would have probably dropped maths by now :smile: And I love it! :smile:

And rmps is respected! It's not an easy exam at all you need to be able to learn all the material and completly explain it and why, with awful 7KU10AE essay questions on why buddhists meditiate. It sounds easy but when it comes to dragging an essay out of it you really do need to think about it and how your going to make 17 marks ..

maths is really just a case of learning how to do something then applying it to different numbers lol

But if you think you can do maths go ahead :smile: But I'd rather have an A in rmps than a C in maths after going through a hellish year trying to scrape the C lol :smile:

I'm doing philosophy at university though so I think i'm bias :P
Depends on what you're interested in really. I personally enjoy Maths, but RMPS (and moreso Philosophy) both look really interesting as well. Both are respected although Maths gets a slightly better reputation.

With 72% I would say that you are unlikely to fail Higher. You just need to make sure you regularly revise methods of answering questions.
Reply 7
RMPS is not respected, I know people who have been given conditionals this year that have exclusively stated that RMPS does not count for their entrance.
Reply 8
Lachlan
RMPS is not respected, I know people who have been given conditionals this year that have exclusively stated that RMPS does not count for their entrance.

To where and for what exactly

I'm sorry but i'm fed up of people talking crap to me about it when it's a perfectly acceptable subject
Reply 9
Ronar
To where and for what exactly

I'm sorry but i'm fed up of people talking crap to me about it when it's a perfectly acceptable subject

Optometry at either Strathclyde or Glasgow Caledonian, not entirely sure know its a Glasgow Uni and don't think it is Glasgow Univerisity.

He got AAAAC at Higher and has a conditional for another B at Higher, he does Higher RMPS and Higher History. The offer said that they wouldn't accept RMPS and when he queried this they told him its because its not a respected enough subject.
Reply 10
Lachlan
Optometry at either Strathclyde or Glasgow Caledonian, not entirely sure know its a Glasgow Uni and don't think it is Glasgow Univerisity.

He got AAAAC at Higher and has a conditional for another B at Higher, he does Higher RMPS and Higher History. The offer said that they wouldn't accept RMPS and when he queried this they told him its because its not a respected enough subject.

That's ridiculous, if oxford will accept it then it's acceptable

Now Higher home economics I can understand
I agree with what you are saying but Oxford isn't really a guide anymore with all the modern 'up and coming' universities with equally good names for their departments...

With any higher course, it's relevance that counts, so consult the University you wish to choose!

Latest

Trending

Trending