The Student Room Group

Do MK Dons Deserve Respect?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I hope the stadium blows up, absolute scum of the highest order. How could you fund and support a team that had been moved 70 miles away from its loyalest fans? They are not simply 'supporting their local team' they are supporting the franchise scum chairman/executive who ruined these diehard fans' team. If Boro go next season, I really hope we cause some trouble there. This is how strongly I feel about this disgraceful club.
Reply 21
mfc20
I hope the stadium blows up, absolute scum of the highest order. How could you fund and support a team that had been moved 70 miles away from its loyalest fans? They are not simply 'supporting their local team' they are supporting the franchise scum chairman/executive who ruined these diehard fans' team. If Boro go next season, I really hope we cause some trouble there. This is how strongly I feel about this disgraceful club.

Could not agree more.
mfc20

You're a mentalist then. It's just a game to start with, and wanting to cause trouble is just childish. Grow up a bit and learn the facts before jumping on the bandwagon.
Reply 23
jonny23563
Just because clubs go bust all the time doesn't mean it's ok, and also doesn't mean that the board shouldn't do everything they can to keep the club running. The madness of it all was shown when AFC Wimbledon wanted the FA Cup from 1988 - they were trying to say that it was theirs, when it clearly wasn't. And without the move they wouldn't exist at all, they had debts of upwards of £20 million, the club was going into oblivion.

The league position wasn't stolen. They are still technically the same club (despite the rebranding and move), so they are entitled to the same league position.

How you can compare supporting a team to theft is beyond me. The supporters of MK Dons are supporting their local team. That's it.

As a football fan, it would be infinitely preferable for me to see my club liquidated than to see an imposter taking my place in the football league and worst still, profiting from it. Would you prefer that you write off your car by accident, or that someone steals it, then drives past your house every day to rub your face in it. Ownership is not who owns the most shares, but who owns the greatest stake. A football club belongs to the fans. It belongs to the community. To fail to see this truth is, to me, to not be a football fan at all.

A football club is not the players. It isn't the limited company. It isn't the board or the league position. All of these are transient. The one constant in football is the fans. They are to who the football club belongs. The board may have the power to relocate the club to Milton Keynes. They do not have the right. A club should be allowed to die with dignity, be reformed by the fans and work its way back up the league. That's what Accrington, Aldershot, Halifax and Scarborough are doing. Clubs should rise up through the non-league. It's what Wimbledon did. It's what Burton did. It's what any Milton Keynes team should have done.

I wouldn't wish the undignified, protracted end to Wimbledon FC and the creation of two bastard offspring (one of which takes the league position, the other, the fans, neither of which can claim to be Wimbledon) on anyone.

Fans of the MK Dons are not "just supporting their local team". To support MK Dons is to give support, moral and financial, to an act of selfishness motivated entirely by greed and narcissism. It is to prop up an abomination, a cruel parody of a football club, a symbol of the avarice and self-interest that plague the game. When we mourn the passing of Wimbledon, we are mourning the sale of football's heart to market forces. When we loathe MK Dons, we are loathing the prostitution of football's soul to the money men. Clubs should not be founded and run on greed and self-interest but on the interest of the wider game and the fans. Nobody wins unless we all win.
Reply 24
Klinsmannic

He looks like a cross between Wormtongue from Lord of The Rings, and Jimmy Bullard

Spoiler

He really does :rofl:
Reply 25
For those saying Milton Keynes didn't have a club in the first place, yes they did. They had a club called Milton Keynes City. If they wanted a football team in their city then they should have followed them.
Reply 26
Coroar
For those saying Milton Keynes didn't have a club in the first place, yes they did. They had a club called Milton Keynes City. If they wanted a football team in their city then they should have followed them.

Except that MK City went bust...twice...both before the Dons moved to Milton Keynes.
Reply 27
Dalimyr
Except that MK City went bust...twice...both before the Dons moved to Milton Keynes.

Presumably, given that Milton Keynes was a town "crying out" for professional football, MK City went bust because they couldn't physically fit all the fans who wanted to attend into their ground meaning that many were turned away and that this somehow led to a series of lawsuits which dragged the club into financial turmoil?

Or maybe they went bust because Milton Keynes people weren't that interested in football beyond Premiership armchair supporting and jumping on the bandwagon of a winning team? MK City couldn't secure investment precisely because the Franchise were coming to town.
I'd, personally, love if Scunthorpe were promoted. Hate MK Dons, hate Millwall, possibly more. Scunthorpe, I'm indifferent about.
Reply 29
Dalimyr

They didn't go bust as such in the same sense that teams like Maidstone United have done, they were actually doing OK for a non-league club, they kind of just shut the club down when they realised that the people of Milton Keynes weren't interested in building their own club up.
I myself want MK Dons to be promoted.

I'm a West Brom fan (which is an interesting situaiton in itself this season :smile: ) but I find that MK is my local football league team. When they first came I didn't think much of them. "How can they just steal a football team?!", "They have no history!" I thought.

However, thorugh local news etc. I found myself looking out for their scores more and more. There was something I quite liked about looking for the local team. I have yet to go to the new stadium though, as it hasn't been convenient, but it is something I want to do :smile:

I don't agree with the move at all, it doesn't seem right. However, there's nothing that can be done about that now, and it certainly isn't the fans' fault. I've actually heard that the fans are quite friendly... if not a bit quiet. But still, meet them before you judge them.

If there's any other precedent that can be looked at, is Asrenal, but you can judge how credible this is. Din't they move from South London to North London at one point c. 1910? Now, that might not sound much now, but I can imagine that at that time, such a move would have really moved away from the core fanbase.

But yeah... that's my two cents. What do you all think? :smile:
Reply 31
Klinsmannic
I miss the old Wimbledon. Best match I ever went to was when we beat them 6-2 at Selhurst. MK Dons seems a bit weird and I find it funny how the people of Milton Keynes feel some sort of pride for them. It usually takes decades.

Why does it take decades?. Its the only football team in the city so if you lived in the city yourself would'nt you support them as they are yor local team? you don't feel pride for a team just because of a long history or many trophies. My local team re-emerged about 10 yrs ago are in the very lower leagues and although i support Liverpool all my life i watch my local team and proud of them even though there history is'nt that long or succesful.
Remember MK is a young city in itself and the demographic is much younger than the rest of the UK so there are alot of young families with kids will growing up with MK Dons as there local team even in it's 1st decade.
To be fair Roberto Di Matteo is proving himself as a good manager so far.
Johnni
Why does it take decades?. Its the only football team in the city so if you lived in the city yourself would'nt you support them as they are yor local team? you don't feel pride for a team just because of a long history or many trophies. My local team re-emerged about 10 yrs ago are in the very lower leagues and although i support Liverpool all my life i watch my local team and proud of them even though there history is'nt that long or succesful.
Remember MK is a young city in itself and the demographic is much younger than the rest of the UK so there are alot of young families with kids will growing up with MK Dons as there local team even in it's 1st decade.

You misunderstand me. It takes time for a club to build its reputation, its culture and its identity. It took Wimbledon years to build these things, and then all of a sudden the club gets adopted by Milton Keynes. The town didn't strive to build the club organically. It's a surrogate, and the pride is just plastic imo.

How would you feel if your club (Liverpool or the local one) got moved to the Isle of Wight, and the people there starting signing your songs?
Reply 34
is their any old wimbledon fans in this forum? I'd like to see their view mostly..

Do Wimbledon fans go to AFC Wimbledon, Or do some follow MK Dons?
Klinsmannic
How would you feel if your club (Liverpool or the local one) got moved to the Isle of Wight, and the people there starting signing your songs?

Would be a tricky situation of Chelsea moved then wouldn't it? Though since it's in the least footballing area of London I suppose it wouldn't matter much culturally as long as it's still in a 'good area' (excluding the issue of the name).
Reply 36
You lot must be happy (thanks to an an old face from the past)
Reply 37
Flo :love: Was gutted we sold him, because he was a great player for Rangers.
Well said! From the mouth of their own chairman, he has stated they are a new club with no history, and all the honours and trophies were handed back to AFC Wimbledon as,in his own words, they are the natural successors to the old Wimbledon, so how come they are allowed to start in League 1? It is a massive slap in the face of all the lower league clubs who have slogged away for years! Even all the media acknowledge they are a new club but are too spineless to come out and say anything against them. I hate them and long for the day when they become bankrupt and slide out of the league and then disappear!
Reply 39
Original post by Wombleboy
Well said! From the mouth of their own chairman, he has stated they are a new club with no history, and all the honours and trophies were handed back to AFC Wimbledon as,in his own words, they are the natural successors to the old Wimbledon, so how come they are allowed to start in League 1? It is a massive slap in the face of all the lower league clubs who have slogged away for years! Even all the media acknowledge they are a new club but are too spineless to come out and say anything against them. I hate them and long for the day when they become bankrupt and slide out of the league and then disappear!

strong bump

Quick Reply

Latest