The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Freaked out abou Nottingham

Hey,

I am Canadian and coming to Nottingham to study Law in 2005. I was fine before, but now its starting to hit me pretty hard that i am going to be leaving the coutnry and stuff -- and i am freaked!

Can anyoen tell me anything about the program, the life, perhaps any international students with soem advice?

ANYTHING! -- help me feel good about this choiec..please lol.

Thanks,
Rahul

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well, I'm in a foundation course in London at this moment and I'm from the United States. I think Nottingham is very well known school throughout the country.. pretty active school... lots of international students. maybe u wouldnt like the environment... it's sorta different.. why u coming here by the way? U of Toronto is nice i heard.. lol.. anyways, nottingham is a very nice school and u wont regret coming here.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I really really would not worry!! Im going to Nottingham aswell but my view actually comes from a friend of mine. Last year she upped and left for Denmark in a rushed decision and went to uni there instead of in the UK (she did not get the grades she needed so her dad actually sent her abroad to anywhere that would accept her!) She is having the time of her life and doesnt want to come home! This is a shy girl who doesnt speak any of the language and knew no one over there. I assure you of one thing, that because you are abit different from the norm (coming from canada) the people you live with will LOVE this and probably be really interested in talking to you.
I think you've got a great opportunity here!
Reply 3
Im coming from Canada for Law.

Im coming because i can get out of school faster and a change of scenery would be fantastic. Also, i really only want to work as a lawyer in either London or New York, and both options become severly limited with a Canadian education. What countries are you guys from? And what programs are you going to be attending?

Any more comments would be great!

Thanks,
Rahul
Reply 4
I'm from the US and I'm going to study architecture in Nottingham :smile:
Reply 5
I also lived in canada, going to nottingham but was going to apply to U of Toronto which is a great uni.. As my family are in the UK ive decided to go for nottingham.. The campus is great (has everything you want on it, rather like an american campus). Dont be too scared the only thing to fear is people saying i love your accent over and over again, and people confusing you with americans
Reply 6
m66
I also lived in canada, going to nottingham but was going to apply to U of Toronto which is a great uni.. As my family are in the UK ive decided to go for nottingham.. The campus is great (has everything you want on it, rather like an american campus). Dont be too scared the only thing to fear is people saying i love your accent over and over again, and people confusing you with americans

Are you starting first year in September 2005? Also, waht program are you in for? We should get some internatioanl hooking up goin on once we get down there :smile:
Reply 7
"Help you feel good", ok I'll babble on for a bit about this and that. You've obviously done well to get into Nottingham for Law, and it'll set you up very nicely for practice in London or NY. As you probably know, you'll arrive at Notts with the rest of the international students a week earlier than the home students, so you'll meet a lot of people in the same boat. That means everyone else will be just as apprehensive ("freaked") about their new environment, not knowing what to expect, etc. etc. It's not like you're alone, there are some 5000 international students who can relate. Also in terms of adapting to life here, I'd say you have it easier than some other international students as the contrast between Canada and England isn't too drastic. I knew two Canadians and they both settled in quickly and loved the place. Like most international students (and home, actually!), the only thing you'll probably stay "freaked out" about is the food in halls! Funniest thing is when the international students walk into the canteen with their own little MSG/spice sprinker! I digress.

So you'll arrive, then starts International Welcome Week - I was a rep for this a couple of years back and I can tell you it's a blast - have fun! Then the home students flood in and freshers week/week one starts. More fun. Also, you'll automatically be a member of the International Students' Bureau (ISB) which will organize events for international students throughout the year. ISB also deals with welfare, so feel free to e-mail any more questions you have to them (http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/~isb/about.htm); they'll be keen. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here - Nottingham is an awesome place to be and to study, hence why I'm returning for 3+ years of grad school! How's that for a vote of confidence?! I can't tell you about your course though, maybe ask in the Law thread? Hopefully that was useful / reassuring to you, or someone....
Reply 8
Hey hey you'll be fine! - you just gotta settle down into Notts. I'm sure you'll love it here :smile: and you'll know meeee :biggrin: and Sofa King's in for Law 2005 as well - he's really cool - maybe you two can chit-chat a bit so you'll be less nervous? :smile: Always more calming to have a friend around. I'm in for Neuroscience, 2005. What campus have you applied for? - and what hall you hoping for? - Me and Sofa King and Eurane are all hoping for Florence Boot in Uni Park, or else I wouldn't mind Cripps either.

I don't remember freaking out when I left Hong Kong but that's only because I loved the schools and I was only 8 :rolleyes: but seriously, England's lovely I refused to leave once I'd been here lol! - and I can't wait til I get to Nottingham!

Don't panic - it's just a bit nerve-racking but generally so so so exciting! - new start, new life! - imagine I'm sure a lot of people wanna come England to study and you've got that chance and you'll have new experiences a lot of other people won't have. It's like a roller coaster - bit scary but altogether, rather fun! (bar the fact that I've always been to scared to go on a roller coaster... lol)

*hugs* it'll be ok :smile:
Reply 9
m66

But some accents do sound really cool! - what's wrong with saying that? :frown:

I suppose the confusion with Americans and Canadians are probably similar to people asking me all the time if I'm from China, when I'm from Hong Kong, and still they don't know the difference... :redface: I've got used to it, not offended or anything. Just a general thing people get confused about. Actually people get me confused with the Japanese too - and don't know the difference between the Japanese language and Chinese language :rolleyes:

Hope stuff like that don't put you off Nottingham though, you two!

And I have a friend from Canada - not in contact anymore, but my mum's in contact with her mum.
Reply 10
irisng
But some accents do sound really cool! - what's wrong with saying that? :frown:

I suppose the confusion with Americans and Canadians are probably similar to people asking me all the time if I'm from China, when I'm from Hong Kong, and still they don't know the difference... :redface: I've got used to it, not offended or anything. Just a general thing people get confused about. Actually people get me confused with the Japanese too - and don't know the difference between the Japanese language and Chinese language :rolleyes:

Hope stuff like that don't put you off Nottingham though, you two!

And I have a friend from Canada - not in contact anymore, but my mum's in contact with her mum.

hey! dont worry about being an international student (easy for me to say eh?) from what i understand the ISB is huge and i know a couple of the people - the president and the sports secretary, who would be starting their roles from september. so if you have any problems you could always ask them or any of us. but i am sure you would be just fine. all of us would be coming from all over the country, which to you may look tiny compared to canada but to some like myself who have never left home (home being synonymous to parents) before for more that a week (and that too was for the biology field trip) it is a huge step. but i also appreciate that the distance factor is imperative.

As for accent, well i am one of those mad people who pick up accents a bit too quickly so people i am talking to actually think i am mocking them - but believe me i AM NOT :redface: . but then again after 2 months of america i might have a slight accent myself, hehe.

yeah iris...called up accommodation this afternoon to just ask when i get to hear from them. they apparently have started sorting them out and goes that i MIGHT hear from them in the next week or so! fingers crossed for FB... :biggrin:
Reply 11
I am fairly excited to come to this school now, especially the Law School. We should all definitley arrange a hookup -- at least for those of us that can -- to get accquainted and such, it would be a wicked time.

I applied for Uni Park -- Single Study, Priv Bath, and Ensuite -- i dont know much about the halls, and i think ill be happy anywhere really. As long as i have my ethernet port and telephone. Im under the impression most halls will be a good time. However, if i had a choice...the one closest to the law faculty, because i am laaaaaaaaazy.

In any case, perhaps we can start kickin aroudn a date for drinks or somethign? If people are down? Being from canada..and im surei t applies to you brits as well...i like any excuse for a little beverage indulgence :biggrin:

-Rahul
Reply 12
~euarne~
hey! dont worry about being an international student (easy for me to say eh?) from what i understand the ISB is huge and i know a couple of the people - the president and the sports secretary, who would be starting their roles from september. so if you have any problems you could always ask them or any of us. but i am sure you would be just fine. all of us would be coming from all over the country, which to you may look tiny compared to canada but to some like myself who have never left home (home being synonymous to parents) before for more that a week (and that too was for the biology field trip) it is a huge step. but i also appreciate that the distance factor is imperative.

As for accent, well i am one of those mad people who pick up accents a bit too quickly so people i am talking to actually think i am mocking them - but believe me i AM NOT :redface: . but then again after 2 months of america i might have a slight accent myself, hehe.

yeah iris...called up accommodation this afternoon to just ask when i get to hear from them. they apparently have started sorting them out and goes that i MIGHT hear from them in the next week or so! fingers crossed for FB... :biggrin:

Lol you pick up accents really easily eh? - that's a pretty good thing actually - saves a lot of confusion over not being able to hear the person properly just cus you're not used to their accent lol! Thing is I've lived in Cambridgeshire most of my life - so I don't know many people with accents of elsewhere, which means I'm crap when it comes to listening to accents. Being on the phone with people from TSR from various places (ok only three people lol) sometimes I lose the flow of the conversation cus I couldn't work out what they were saying. Then I wonder if it's cus English is my second language, and I go on the phone with another friend who lives in the same city and I'm fine with listening to them! - so yeh, I figured it's the accent lol!

Really we'll hear that soon from Notts??? - is it just you (cus of your uncon offer), or is it generally? - yeh now I hope I'll end up in Florence Boot now, seeing as you and Ken are both there - I'd be lonely over at Cripps :frown: lol now I sorta wish I hadn't mentioned Cripps AND Flo Boot...! (damn) But then again I plan on camping over at Flo Boot or maybe have friends camp round wherever I end up (preferred alternative: Cripps or actually, Hughe Stuart) ((is that how you spell Hughe???)) :biggrin:

Rahul - hey there's a guy with the same name who's a Cambridge student!

And sure - I'd made a thread ages ago about TSR meeting up at Notts but that thread died. You could go back a page or two and find it - you'll see it - and revive that if you want :smile: or alternatively we could just discuss meeting up in this thread! :biggrin: What was the place that was suggested back in that thread? - the Ocean or the Ark or whatever - there was apparently a really good place that is also very cheap :p:

Btw Law Faculty is smack bang in the middle of Uni Park - whichever hall you stay in it's gonna be quite close. Similar distance to the Law Faculty from either Flo Boot or Cripps, which means the same goes for Hughe Stuart, Nightingale, Arcaster (sp??) and er Wiloughby (sp??). Apparently Rutland is crap though, or so I've heard. Come to Cripps! - so if I do end up there and not with Ken and Rai then I'd at least know one other person in the same hall! - alternatively I could befriend Ken's friend who hopes to go Hughe Stuart, right next to Cripps :p: I'm scared of being lonely, just a bit :redface: I'm good with meeting new people and I like it, but I do tend to prefer to stick with people I already know - I suppose that goes for most people too lol.
irisng
Thing is I've lived in Cambridgeshire most of my life

Yay for Cambs! Where abouts are you? Alconbury reprezent
Reply 14
irisng
Lol you pick up accents really easily eh? - that's a pretty good thing actually - saves a lot of confusion over not being able to hear the person properly just cus you're not used to their accent lol! Thing is I've lived in Cambridgeshire most of my life - so I don't know many people with accents of elsewhere, which means I'm crap when it comes to listening to accents. Being on the phone with people from TSR from various places (ok only three people lol) sometimes I lose the flow of the conversation cus I couldn't work out what they were saying. Then I wonder if it's cus English is my second language, and I go on the phone with another friend who lives in the same city and I'm fine with listening to them! - so yeh, I figured it's the accent lol!

Really we'll hear that soon from Notts??? - is it just you (cus of your uncon offer), or is it generally? - yeh now I hope I'll end up in Florence Boot now, seeing as you and Ken are both there - I'd be lonely over at Cripps :frown: lol now I sorta wish I hadn't mentioned Cripps AND Flo Boot...! (damn) But then again I plan on camping over at Flo Boot or maybe have friends camp round wherever I end up (preferred alternative: Cripps or actually, Hughe Stuart) ((is that how you spell Hughe???)) :biggrin:

Rahul - hey there's a guy with the same name who's a Cambridge student!

And sure - I'd made a thread ages ago about TSR meeting up at Notts but that thread died. You could go back a page or two and find it - you'll see it - and revive that if you want :smile: or alternatively we could just discuss meeting up in this thread! :biggrin: What was the place that was suggested back in that thread? - the Ocean or the Ark or whatever - there was apparently a really good place that is also very cheap :p:

Btw Law Faculty is smack bang in the middle of Uni Park - whichever hall you stay in it's gonna be quite close. Similar distance to the Law Faculty from either Flo Boot or Cripps, which means the same goes for Hughe Stuart, Nightingale, Arcaster (sp??) and er Wiloughby (sp??). Apparently Rutland is crap though, or so I've heard. Come to Cripps! - so if I do end up there and not with Ken and Rai then I'd at least know one other person in the same hall! - alternatively I could befriend Ken's friend who hopes to go Hughe Stuart, right next to Cripps :p: I'm scared of being lonely, just a bit :redface: I'm good with meeting new people and I like it, but I do tend to prefer to stick with people I already know - I suppose that goes for most people too lol.

iris i am DEAD sure you wouldnt be lonely. hehe. Hugh Stewart is my second choice for i am ready to get over the loads of people phobia in lieu of the architecture. Ancaster is the farthest from QMC but some guy i know there disagrees and thinks its the best hall. Willoughby has loads of stairs and knowing my attitude to exercise you already know what i think :p: . although nightingale would be nice...it has a lift :rolleyes: and its quite close to the main library i think.

i have lived at SO many different places that i sometimes wake up and think 'am i on earth' :biggrin: ! lol. countries include north america, india, germany, switzerland, holland. but mostly london - so accents are pretty alright. and you dont really need to travel to that many places for london itself has a HUGE mixture of people. only thing i am worried about is that in future say i am talking to a patient and they have a different accent and i start talking in that. hopefully they dont think that i am paranoid and mocking them :redface:

Rahul - yeah i am sure ALL of us would be up for drinks. i was thinking the ARK and probably early on sunday or something. just after we get in, for the rest of the day would get pretty busy with the welcome speech and all that if the last year's itinerary is anything to go by.

whos Ken??? :redface: sorry i appear clueless at moments (make that ALL the time)! i love meeting new people and get over the new thing by chatting utter rubbish. it helps i suppose! FB all the way for me hopefully - and it is only for unconditionals that they inform in a couple of weeks :smile: sorry. you guys have to wait till you get your grade am afraid.
xxx
Reply 15
~euarne~
whos Ken??? :redface:

:hello: :shakehand
Reply 16
Im assuming thast ken :wink: -- really, we get our accomodation information that quick? I sent my application in last week-ish..hopefully i get something soon!

Itll be interesting to see which rooms we all end up in!
euarne...you said you chose hugh stewart as second choice. Can you choose specific halls within the University Park campus? I'd love a room at Hugh Stewart...its right next to the economics building and the library.

I'm happy there are lots of international students going to notts. I'm living in Brazil right now and have lived in Hong Kong, London and Livepool before. Can't wait to go to notts!! When do you guys do your exams or do you already have the grades?
Reply 18
I'll answer a few Qs even though they weren't directed at me. You don't hear about accomm if you have a conditional offer until after we get our results. It can be as late as the first week of September.

You can't really choose specific halls, although you can email the accomm people with your preferences althougth there is no guarantee you will get what you asked for. Perosnally i'm just going to see where i end up - more exciting methinks and i'll be less disappointed if i don't get what i want.

Some of us have our grades if we are a year older and on gap years. I have my exams in the last 3 weeks of June. We break up for study leave at my chool in 3 weeks. AArgh. xx
ahh ok thanks mousey

Latest

Trending

Trending