The Student Room Group

Keele Vs Aston!

I'm not liking computer science with psychology and I'm dropping out and starting in 2009 for single honours computer science. It's really what I should have done but made the decision of Keele and psychology based on all of the wrong things.

Anyways, I can either restart on the single honours computer science course at Keele or take up my new shiny offer from Aston which includes a year in industry. I've also contacted Birmingham who are willing to interview me but I'm not holding my breath due to stupid GCSE results 5/6 years ago. I have triple distinction in the IT BTEC (360 UCAS points) so I meet their usual requirements though so it's not ruled out. And there's Nottingham who I'm still waiting to get back to me... I have the grades, I just need them to ignore my GCSEs! A girl can dream right? :frown:

Based on this - advice please? It's all a very sudden decision. Friday morning I was annoyed with Keele, Friday afternoon I had my unofficial Aston offer. Is Keele or Aston better? Will the year in industry be a really major thing? And what chances do I stand with Nottingham and Birmingham?
Reply 1
First of all, leave Keele. Aston + year in industry sounds so much better. I am in no position to tell you whether Birmingham/Nottingham will accept you or not, but if you can ace the interview, Birmingham might give you a chance. Who knows? The same can be said with Nottingham, albeit without the interview.

Going by rep alone, assuming you get offers from all, I would go for Nottingham>Birmingham>Aston>Keele.

There is negligible difference between Brum and Notts, Aston is not too far away...just stay away from Keele. Good luck.
Reply 2
lcecil88
First of all, leave Keele. Aston + year in industry sounds so much better. I am in no position to tell you whether Birmingham/Nottingham will accept you or not, but if you can ace the interview, Birmingham might give you a chance. Who knows? The same can be said with Nottingham, albeit without the interview.

Going by rep alone, assuming you get offers from all, I would go for Nottingham>Birmingham>Aston>Keele.

There is negligible difference between Brum and Notts, Aston is not too far away...just stay away from Keele. Good luck.

I really want Nottingham but I doubt I can have it :frown: Aston looks pretty good from what I've been looking at... just a bit unsure of its reputation and what others think of it. I think I definitely want to leave Keele. I love it to complete bits but the psych department is a bit of a mess and I'd rather be doing hardcore computer science modules than the softer ones Keele offer.

Is the year in industry a good thing then? I'd be giving up a scholarship of £2000 a year from Keele so I need to know that Aston can be worth it!
Reply 3
I would say a year in industry is definitely a good thing, but I cannot say more beyond that as I am not familiar with the field you are interested in. Perhaps someone with more said experience in this board will pop by and answer your queries in greater detail...
Reply 4
Take a look at the following website: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6605.

I can assure you that University of Birmingham if one the top universities for Computer Science. Take a look below:

21 Birmingham 3.93 3.00 372 73 87.9
27 Nottingham 3.63 3.10 310 78 86.3
44 Aston 3.80 2.30 320 72 82.8
63 Keele 3.89 .00 262 73 78.5

Latest

Trending

Trending