The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ohh and FYI I was unnsuccesful to the course I applied to in cukas.
Reply 2
Ask for feedback from the course. If they say that your reference was one of the reasons for you being unsuccessful, it's not a good idea to use the same reference. You can use the same reference, but only do so if it helps your application
Reply 3
Hey, my brother applied through CUKAS and was successful. You had two references right? One from your first study teacher and one from school/college.

The latter might be OK but might need some tweaking because music at uni is less focused on performance and more on academic. having said that, you would need some confirmation of your musical abilities as they wouldn't be seeing the other reference.

Go talk to you school referee about it. Good luck
Reply 4
yeah I had a talk with my teacher for the ref and she's fine to do another one some maybe I should make it focus on more academic things, as you say.

I think it was my audition that was the reason for failing, apparently placed like RSAMD don't take you straight out of school, well not normally for the course I applied for (composing). My reference was very good and I was quite happy with it, but you never know I guess.
Getting an offer from these places can be tough, so try not to take it too personally!

peachmelba is right in that universities will want to know more about your Music A Level, as well as your other A Levels, non-musical extra-curriculars, etc. so that's great that your teacher is happy to write another reference!

As far as I know, I had two completely different references. My UCAS one was written by my form tutor and talked about all my subjects, my contribution to the school, competition wins, etc. My CUKAS one was (I think) written by the Head of Music, so the focus was much more on my instruments, competition wins, summer schools, etc. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending