The Student Room Group

What makes A-levels so hard?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Sparkly-Star
According to most people and teachers (well from everyone I have spoken to) A-levels are very very hard. Well what makes them so hard? Is it the content or the amount or something? I am gonna finish my GCSE's this year and I was wondering what tips you would give to all those who are hoping to do A-levels next year. :woo: I want to do biology, chemistry, physics and maths. I might change physics to French I dunno.

advice about physics
only do it if you really have a passion for it or you need it for a future career option
you will regret it otherwise
Reply 41
A-Levels are hard if you're lazy, otherwise you don't need to be a genius to get an A. 25% of A level grades are A, or something like that aren't they?
They're hard/harder than GCSEs because:

The subject content is conceptually more complex (in science/maths subjects especially)

You actually need to know facts and information now. You can't just walk into an exam having done no revision and expect to get an A/B grade (well, someone would claim they can, but they will either by lying or exceptions to this rule)

In essay based subjects you have to actually learn to structure an essay and develop an argument; you can't just scribble everything down in a random order like you could at GCSE.

There is a lot more to learn, and you will have more exams more often (January modules etc.)

No matter what some people might say, the jump from GCSE to A-level is a big one, and teachers often say it's the biggest jump you have in your academic life (in some cases, A-levels are harder than the first year of a degree, for example).
AnonyMatt
In terms of maths and science (possibly with the exception being biology, for which the exam papers are always waffly ****. Seriously, 62% for an A? wtf?) they're totally right.

Maybe not 'piss-easy', but once you understand, it's really easy to score high marks on a paper by doing past papers and getting model answers from mark schemes. :smile:

Also, sorry for replying to your thread so much lol, I must be bugging you.

FURTHERMATHSFURTHERMATHSFURTHERMATHSFURTHERMATHS.

Lol don't worry I like lots of replies to my threads - much better than an empty thread!
Grapevine

There is a lot more to learn, and you will have more exams more often (January modules etc.)

This makes A levels easier though. :p:
Unfortunately, my college doesn't do January exams for subjects other than maths or business studies.

This means I'm bogged down with 3 hours of chemistry in one session.

Also this half term I have to go over all of AS biology.
Not saying that's difficult, but it kind of is when by this week I mean next Sunday night at 12am. :p:
AnonyMatt
I'm glad I questioned you about it. :p:

What is it you want to do?
I chose my A levels aiming for either medicine or maths. It's clear to me now that medicine is not right for me (maybe after my undergrad maths degree :p:) so biology is kind of useless to me. I'm either going to take all 5 to A level, or I'm going to drop biology and take up AS and A2 economics. :p:

I 'lied' on my college application, because my school didn't really give predicted grades, because, well, it was a crap school. I put all A*/A except for art, and ended up with almost that. :p:

In my opinion, further maths would be well worth your time!
So, either take biology, chemistry, physics and maths in first year, and then chemistry, physics, maths and further maths (AS) in second year, or see if you can do all 5.

In fact, something you might consider is doing the above, while self teaching AS further maths (i.e. FP1 and 2 'easier' applied modules such as any statistics modules) and then instead of further maths AS in second year, you could join an A2 further maths class.

In my college, we do AS maths, half of A2 maths, and half of A2 further maths (wierd huh?) in the first year, so C1 C2 C3 S1 S2 S3. However, I've self taught C4, FP1, and some FP3 in the last few months, so next year I can skip laods of classes. :p:

It's very do-able, and not even 'nerdy', because if you have a natural flair for maths, you'll pick it up.

If you want to know more about the subject at A level, to decide whether you want to pursue this or not, try the 'patrickJMT' youtube channel and look up stuff like matrices, partial derivatives, and hyperbolic functions. The first topic is an easy further maths topic, while the latter are a little harder.
You probably won't understand any of it without having first done A level maths, but you'll appreciate it all the same. :p:

Oh sounds cool. :smile: So you take some modules early or something? Lol the only one I have heard of out of those topics are hyperbolic functions - I don't even know what they are but never mind haha!

Yeah me too I was thinking medicine - but not necessarily a doctor as I'm hoping to explore other things that you can do as well! I mean definitely something maths and science related though! I'm screwed with my GCSE grades anyway so yeah chances are slimmer than slim. I'm not bothered about nerdyness lol. Nerds rule. :smile:
The jump of knowledge needed for GCSE and AS are a big difference and then in some subjects it gets even bigger at A2. The stupid mark schemes egh and specifications that are so specific, for example in a mock philosophy unit 5 exam 28/50 was an A yet 17 was an e :s-smilie: thats what makes it so hard for me haha.
Personally I don't find them hard. I find them easier than GCSEs because I actually know what I'm doing now. I'm learning because I want to, and finding things out for myself rather than being spoonfed everything like I was at GCSE.
xmarilynx
I think A Levels are only hard if:

1. You choose the wrong subjects. Plenty of people I know chose a subject that would look good, rather than one they were genuinely interested in. Consequently, they didn't enjoy it, found it difficult to motivate themselves to put the work it and just generally struggled.

2. Choosing subjects with a lot of coursework. ICT is the main example here - I've had friends taking this threaten suicide at times! :p: Make sure if one subject has a lot of coursework, it's balanced out by the other subjects.

3. Obvious, but - if you lack the motivation to work. Revision isn't much help when you have nothing to revise from as you've done sweet FA all year, and the teachers aren't there to chase you up and give you detention if you fall behind like at GCSE.

I have chosen subjects that I liked of course. Yeah ICT at GCSE level is horrible too. DiDA especially. I am so happy that I only have one more unit to finish and I am so close to finishing it. I remember times in year 10 when I used to leave ICT work and it was a bad idea... lol I have never had a detention so yeah that's cool I suppose... :smile:
For me A levels are not the problem, it's time.
Grapevine

The subject content is conceptually more complex (in science/maths subjects especially)

You actually need to know facts and information now. You can't just walk into an exam having done no revision and expect to get an A/B grade (well, someone would claim they can, but they will either by lying or exceptions to this rule)

In essay based subjects you have to actually learn to structure an essay and develop an argument; you can't just scribble everything down in a random order like you could at GCSE.

No matter what some people might say, the jump from GCSE to A-level is a big one, and teachers often say it's the biggest jump you have in your academic life (in some cases, A-levels are harder than the first year of a degree, for example).

Yep my teachers have told me exactly that! :yep:
Sparkly-Star
Oh sounds cool. :smile: So you take some modules early or something? Lol the only one I have heard of out of those topics are hyperbolic functions - I don't even know what they are but never mind haha!

Yeah me too I was thinking medicine - but not necessarily a doctor as I'm hoping to explore other things that you can do as well! I mean definitely something maths and science related though! I'm screwed with my GCSE grades anyway so yeah chances are slimmer than slim. I'm not bothered about nerdyness lol. Nerds rule. :smile:

Well, the only thing that puts me off medicine is the need for experience. It's not really fair as some people are in situations where experience wouldn't really be favourable.
The only available work experience for me was at a nursing home. How can I write positively about something I know I'll hate? I don't ever want to go into a caring position.

Hyperbolic functions are... well, I don't know either actually. But they're useful.

I haven't taken any modules early, but I'm very well prepared for next year. :p:
I intend to have covered all of next year's pure maths by the end of the summer so all I have to worry about is mechanics!

Oh by the way, if you get the choice of maths modules, pick as much pure and mechanics as possible. Statistics is the easiest really, but mechanics is most useful for maths related stuff at uni.
Sparkly-Star
Yep my teachers have told me exactly that! :yep:

Yeah, those things seem to be agreed by most.

One thing that makes A-levels easier than GCSEs is, however, the fact that it's easier to know what you have to do to get the grades. At GCSE, I never really knew exactly what characterized an A grade answer, for example.
in essay based subjects knowing the markscheme is vital and exam technique. especially for psychology where the concepts are so easy its just how u write them.
AnonyMatt
Well, the only thing that puts me off medicine is the need for experience. It's not really fair as some people are in situations where experience wouldn't really be favourable.
The only available work experience for me was at a nursing home. How can I write positively about something I know I'll hate? I don't ever want to go into a caring position.

Hyperbolic functions are... well, I don't know either actually. But they're useful.

I haven't taken any modules early, but I'm very well prepared for next year. :p:
I intend to have covered all of next year's pure maths by the end of the summer so all I have to worry about is mechanics!

Oh by the way, if you get the choice of maths modules, pick as much pure and mechanics as possible. Statistics is the easiest really, but mechanics is most useful for maths related stuff at uni.

I agree with the work experience part. I remember when I asked about it in year 10 cos we had to organize it a year before. And I remember there were only 3 places in the whole city. All of which went to people who aren't even interested in medicine. I simply couldn't go cos there were no placements left!

Sounds cool! Thanks for all the useful advice. :grin:
Difference between GCSE's and A levels?
One unit at A level is the same volume as one subject at GCSE.
And you cant get an A by studying for 2 hours.
AnonyMatt

I wish I could agree with you haha! After a year of attempting to self teach S1, I can say that for me M1 is a hell of a lot easier. Maybe Im just strange then.

But yeah, If youre doing sciences and maths, do mechanics. Wheras Stats and Decision has nothing to do with the sciences, you will find that in Physics that your covering quite a of of mechanics and vice versa. Useful when you find out that there really is no time to spare if you want to do well.

Also, I wouldnt revise as a rule from day one, just pay attention in class. If something confuses you, tell the teacher. just cause you are expected to do more independent learning doesnt mean they cant help you on something you are stuck on. This will stand you in much better staed than panic revision ever will.
Banburyhammer
I wish I could agree with you haha! After a year of attempting to self teach S1, I can say that for me M1 is a hell of a lot easier. Maybe Im just strange then.

Actually, you're right. I'd never have been able to self teach S1 (or S2, or S3) because I just could not for the life of me understand the notation and stuff. After being taught it, I think it's easy!

M1 is easier to self teach though. It's just formulas really.
Nick Longjohnson
Difference between GCSE's and A levels?
One unit at A level is the same volume as one subject at GCSE.
And you cant get an A by studying for 2 hours.

You're quite right there. With A Levels, the more you put in, the more you get out.

I'm going to make the distinction between AS Levels and A2 Levels. AS Levels are not much of a step up from GCSE (at least I found for Physics and Maths). The key is to get as many marks as possible on these easy AS units, because A2 is a completely different story. A2 is harder and some of the most able people I know slip back to B's and C's, getting an A overall only because of their incredibly good performances at AS. I'm not one of those thankfully, but I have found myself doing A LOT of revision for A2 - more than AS Level and GCSE combined for sure.

I've found also that life has gone quite rapidly during sixth form - you're growing up, becoming much more independent, and so you're not only juggling more work but also a greater number of situations on your own. It's key therefore to not get behind at AS Level - you will find it hard to catch up if you mess up Year 12.

Of course, it's different now - A*s have been introduced. For me, I could have just scored 300/300 in all my subjects and settled for low C's and still gotten A's overall (I don't want to do that - I want to get the best marks possible).
neomilan
advice about physics
only do it if you really have a passion for it or you need it for a future career option
you will regret it otherwise

I love A level Physics!

Oh wait...maybe thats because I fit both of the categories you mentioned. xD

And statistics is booooo-ooooooo-ooooooring!

I actually can't be arsed to revise for my S2 exam.

Quick Reply

Latest