The Student Room Group
Reply 1
thats a really difficult question, because while you're doing it its no way worth the hassle, but afterwards it really seems as though it was.
on balance....yes....but ask me again on friday!
Reply 2
in article [email protected], Ice at [email protected] wrote on 1/7/02 1:41 PM:

[q1]> Do you think the years of IB are worth it? Dont give me responses like your in it for the[/q1]
[q1]> challenge or some shit like that, I would like to know your personal feelings on this.[/q1]

Definitely. I would have said so before I got to Uni, but now I've (almost) done a semester of Uni
I would say I definitely think IB was worth it. Most of my IB cohort would agree with me. I felt
really prepared for Uni when I first came, other people who had done the usual state system
weren't as much. Sciences I have heard IB excels greatly. One of my friends was refused
acceleration to 2nd Year Physics Chem and Maths because in all cases he had not done 1 topic. 1
topic for the whole year. As a result he is extremely bored, but sits there and gets brilliant
marks in every test he does.

I'm not quite that bad, I'm enjoying Uni, but especially with learning to express myself properly
&c, I feel IB was definitely worth doing. Some people have no idea about some things and I do, which
can make a difference sometimes!
Reply 3
On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 22:43:11 +1000, Robbo <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>in article [email protected], Ice at [email protected] wrote on 1/7/02 1:41 PM:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>> Do you think the years of IB are worth it? Dont give me responses like your in it for the[/q2]
[q2]>> challenge or some shit like that, I would like to know your personal feelings on this.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Definitely. I would have said so before I got to Uni, but now I've (almost) done a semester of Uni[/q1]
[q1]>I would say I definitely think IB was worth it. Most of my IB cohort would agree with me. I felt[/q1]
[q1]>really prepared for Uni when I first came, other people who had done the usual state system[/q1]
[q1]>weren't as much. Sciences I have heard IB excels greatly. One of my friends was refused[/q1]
[q1]>acceleration to 2nd Year Physics Chem and Maths because in all cases he had not done 1 topic. 1[/q1]
[q1]>topic for the whole year. As a result he is extremely bored, but sits there and gets brilliant[/q1]
[q1]>marks in every test he does.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I'm not quite that bad, I'm enjoying Uni, but especially with learning to express myself properly[/q1]
[q1]>&c, I feel IB was definitely worth doing. Some people have no idea about some things and I do,[/q1]
[q1]>which can make a difference sometimes![/q1]

Thats cool man. Im about to start senior year this year and im kinda intimidated by the workload im
up against. (EE, CAS, etc..) At least i know it will pay off in the end. yay!
Reply 4
for me, the ib was definitely worth it.
cas never really bothered me - it just seemed to do itself. the big thing with the ee is that you should start research early and have a 1st draft done before you start year 2 of the ib. that way, if you're workload in year 2 (the important year) is too difficult, you don't have to worry about writing an entire research essay; but, rather, about fine tuning the already completed 1st draft.
i finished the ib this year and am off to university, so i can't comment on how well prepared i am. what i do know is that the ib defnitely helped me get into my choices in canada (where i'm from) and the uk (where i applied as well)
for university admissions, i found the entering grade required to get into the top canadian and uk schools weren't that difficult, challenging but not everly-difficult, (top canadadian schools needed high 30s, oxford and lse (i didn't apply to cambridge) needed similar grades) - both groups of universities seemed to look very favourably on ib students.
plus, you get transfer credits at some universities for the course you completed at higher level and obtained an okay grade in (usually a 5.
on the whole, the ib was definitely worth it!

Latest

Trending

Trending