The Student Room Group

From B/C/D to AAA in 5 months?

Hello everyone. I’m a year 13 student who’s dream is to study biomedical science at UCL.

Unfortunately, I’ve had some circumstances that have affected my studies in sixth form and I wasn’t able to do as well as I wanted in my mocks that my school uses to predict UCAS grades - and I was recommended to do a gap year (which I’m not too upset about since I was considering this option before).
At the moment, I’m working at grades BCD in psychology, biology and chemistry respectively and I want to get AAA in my alevels which are 5 months away. Is it possible? and if so, does anyone have any advice on how I can achieve this in five months?

pls be nice 🥲🙏
Reply 1
Possible in less than five months in my opinion, but it all depends on you. I also had extenuating circumstances near to my exam and had awful predicted grades but was able to achieve As>> in the end when I finally got myself together. For me, what helped a lot was doing topical questions. A lot of the exam questions are repetitive, and even if they're different, they're usually the same content, just worded differently to throw you off. Refer to your syllabus and make sure that you understand every single thing it lists on there.

Past papers (try different exam boards as well). These will help you get familiar with the kinds of questions they ask and the mark scheme will help you understand what specific points and key words are necessary to include in your answer. Additionally, you'll be able to figure out what topics you're strong in and what topics you're weak in. Then, start drilling the topical questions for those weak links until you iron everything out. Afterwards, I'd just alternate between past papers, reading and understanding. Teaching people even if not seriously can also help a lot. If you're able to explain something then you're able to understand it, so if you're stuck, just try and explain it and sometimes it'll light a bulb in your head abt whats not clicking. Try to create a sort of chapter plan for yourself per day so you can feel like you made progress with small goals, and to also make sure that you'll have completed all the content you need to work on by the time the exam comes around. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by chiliwoods
Possible in less than five months in my opinion, but it all depends on you. I also had extenuating circumstances near to my exam and had awful predicted grades but was able to achieve As>> in the end when I finally got myself together. For me, what helped a lot was doing topical questions. A lot of the exam questions are repetitive, and even if they're different, they're usually the same content, just worded differently to throw you off. Refer to your syllabus and make sure that you understand every single thing it lists on there.

Past papers (try different exam boards as well). These will help you get familiar with the kinds of questions they ask and the mark scheme will help you understand what specific points and key words are necessary to include in your answer. Additionally, you'll be able to figure out what topics you're strong in and what topics you're weak in. Then, start drilling the topical questions for those weak links until you iron everything out. Afterwards, I'd just alternate between past papers, reading and understanding. Teaching people even if not seriously can also help a lot. If you're able to explain something then you're able to understand it, so if you're stuck, just try and explain it and sometimes it'll light a bulb in your head abt whats not clicking. Try to create a sort of chapter plan for yourself per day so you can feel like you made progress with small goals, and to also make sure that you'll have completed all the content you need to work on by the time the exam comes around. Good luck!

Thank you!!! I will definitely try this out 🙏
Reply 3
Original post by dcxpw
Thank you!!! I will definitely try this out 🙏

No worries! Do let me know if you have any questions or need tips on specific subjects as i also took biology and chemistry
Reply 4
Original post by chiliwoods
No worries! Do let me know if you have any questions or need tips on specific subjects as i also took biology and chemistry

hi ! can you go into more detail on how you planned out all your revision and what your revision looked like in a day ? i’ve broken all my topics into low and high priority and been working down the list but i still feel so overwhelmed
Original post by dcxpw
Hello everyone. I’m a year 13 student who’s dream is to study biomedical science at UCL.

Unfortunately, I’ve had some circumstances that have affected my studies in sixth form and I wasn’t able to do as well as I wanted in my mocks that my school uses to predict UCAS grades - and I was recommended to do a gap year (which I’m not too upset about since I was considering this option before).
At the moment, I’m working at grades BCD in psychology, biology and chemistry respectively and I want to get AAA in my alevels which are 5 months away. Is it possible? and if so, does anyone have any advice on how I can achieve this in five months?

pls be nice 🥲🙏

Hi! I was in a similar situation to you! This is what I did:
-I found a reliable textbook which matched my exam board (AQA) and used the contents page as my topic list. I listed the topics on notion and highlighted them red,amber and green. The topics which were red and amber were my top priority.
-I practised the red and amber topics using textbook questions. Once I mastered the textbook questions, I got straight onto exam questions.
-I keep a log of the questions which I find really difficult and re-attempt them when I can. I recommend asking your teachers for help on the A* questions.
-DO NOT slack on the green topics. You need to keep your knowledge fresh on the whole spec. Create a timetable of what topic you are going to do every day until your exams. Also, a whiteboard is your best friend, definitely use it to practice questions🙂 .
Reply 6
Original post by meliodas89
Hi! I was in a similar situation to you! This is what I did:
-I found a reliable textbook which matched my exam board (AQA) and used the contents page as my topic list. I listed the topics on notion and highlighted them red,amber and green. The topics which were red and amber were my top priority.
-I practised the red and amber topics using textbook questions. Once I mastered the textbook questions, I got straight onto exam questions.
-I keep a log of the questions which I find really difficult and re-attempt them when I can. I recommend asking your teachers for help on the A* questions.
-DO NOT slack on the green topics. You need to keep your knowledge fresh on the whole spec. Create a timetable of what topic you are going to do every day until your exams. Also, a whiteboard is your best friend, definitely use it to practice questions🙂 .

Thank you so much!! how much time would you recommend to spend a day practicing questions?
Original post by dcxpw
Thank you so much!! how much time would you recommend to spend a day practicing questions?

On the lazy days do at least 5. On a regular base do at least 15 - always start with the easy questions first then build up the difficulty level.
On the days where you have time and energy max out until your hands numb 🙂
To be honest- this is what I find comfortable. You should try this as a starting point and see how many questions you’re most comfortable with.

Quick Reply

Latest