The Student Room Group

How many miles does your car last when the petrol light comes on?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ivars
...why would you even want to find out? Just fill it up when it gets below halfway on the gauge. You're not doing your car any favours by using up the last drops since, as mentioned by another poster, this means you're using the debris contaminated fuel from the bottom of your tank. Also, during winter, water can condensate from the air in your fuel tank and cause problems. Therefore you want to keep it topped up.

And I'm just going to pre-empt "no money to fill up": if you can afford to buy a car, pay tax, pay insurance, a yearly MoT and whatever maintenance, you can afford fuel. At any rate, you might save yourself some money by keeping it topped up to avoid the problems mentioned above.

Chill out!! Jeez only wondered, as i could afford to buy my car etc i will keep it topped up. I don't like to let it go under a 1/4 of a tank, literally asked the question as when driving it home when i first brought it the light came on and was curious to know how long it would last without re-filling it.

Thank you to those who have replied, some of your stories are hillarius. I certainly will be keeping my car topped up. :smile:
Gilly Gillett
- Originally, the car had no wing mirrors at all and passed its MOT as such. If that was illegal, it wouldn't have passed.
- Shock absorbers being old is not illegal.
- The blowers being old is not illegal.
- The seats not locking down is not illegal, the only reason they don't lock down is due to the seats being set far back so I can sit down. Won't survive a serious crash in an original mini anyway, lets be fair.
- On old original minis, the petrol leaks out of the filler cap anyway, due to the lack of sealing inside the tube as you have on modern cars. That's not illegal, just old.
- ALL cars, as in ALL cars, leak oil from somewhere.
- As already established, the speedo functions therefore is not illegal, nor an MOT fail.

Anything else?

Hmm, ok. I guess you're above the law but only in the sense that it's not the law's job to ensure you don't die unnecessarily. It kind of shocks me that some of those things are legal, especially the wing mirrors and the seats.
Reply 42
50 miles.
How would you know unless you've run it until it stops? Most of the above posts should really have a ">" sign in them :wink:
Reply 44
My car, the Lada Riva has 2 modes. Despite the fact it's a rotational dial. The first mode is, petrol warning light showing, this means that there is petrol in the tank. The second mode is the petrol line can be anywhere on the dial, this means there is no petrol in the tank.

xD

Get a Lada Riva.
Reply 45
Just filled my little beast up with £20.00 and now have just above 3/4 of a tank: not bad :smile:
ssja
This has more than likely already been asked, but just wondering??
Some say once the petrol light comes on the dashboard and you are in the red you have a certain amount of miles left? Or is it best to fill up straight away as soon as the light comes in etc etc.

I've been driving my VW polo only for a few days and wondering how long it can go without filling it up.

What are your experiences with your cars?

Thank you.

Don't do it! Fill up straight away. Diesels are affected worst - you don't want to foot the bill for a new injection pump!
Reply 47
well a full tank of my yaris is 30 quid i think and i can travel to leicester on sundays and back on fridays and loads of inner city driving in between n still have petrol left. mine doesnt have a light it has a bar left, it usualy flashes but can go on for another few miles or so
Reply 48
RightSaidJames
Hmm, ok. I guess you're above the law but only in the sense that it's not the law's job to ensure you don't die unnecessarily. It kind of shocks me that some of those things are legal, especially the wing mirrors and the seats.

It's often the case with cars that are older that they don't need as many appointments. Mine doesn't need wing mirrors (although it has had them as an option fitted from new), and it doesn't need any seatbelts either (it didn't have any until I fitted them!). The seats also hinge forwards easily to allow people in and out of the back.

I don't even have a petrol warning light, and the fuel gauge is one of the two gauges I so have in the car (speedo and fuel gauge - what more could you want?!). I really don't know how many miles it does on 'reserve' or on the tank when full - I'll have to see how many miles I can do on a tank...
56 miles (on Snake Pass) :P
Reply 50
I shall find out today for u. My light came on on my 1.4 mk4 golf today when i got to work so will run it dry and let u know how many miles i get hopeing 50 as thats roughly what i need till i can put fuel in it
Reply 51
Original post by gumdrop1
I shall find out today for u. My light came on on my 1.4 mk4 golf today when i got to work so will run it dry and let u know how many miles i get hopeing 50 as thats roughly what i need till i can put fuel in it

:smile:
Original post by gumdrop1
:smile:

Holy five year old thread batman!

My car doesn't have a light. Running it down to the last 1/4 (where the red markings start) will get me 500+ miles on the motorway and 350+ miles around town. If I emptied the tank I could probably get that up to around 600 miles on the motorway with the cruise control set conservatively and 400 around town.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending