The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
RockyRoad
It's to do with global warming - sea temperature rises slightly and the zooxanthelae (algae in the coral) die (?or leave, I'm not sure). Coral bleaching. I wrote loads for this - it was just about the only question I could answer!

Yeah I put something along those lines - I didn't put the name of the algae though....
Reply 21
Rach L
Yeah I put something along those lines - I didn't put the name of the algae though....

Haha, I doubt the name of the algae matters - I just threw it in because it was the one "technical term" I remembered in the whole paper. :rolleyes: :biggrin:
What did you all get for section b qeustion 1fi) what term describes biotic effects that increase in intensity as the population in an area increases?
Reply 23
Mr Rock N Roll
What did you all get for section b qeustion 1fi) what term describes biotic effects that increase in intensity as the population in an area increases?

Density-dependent, wasn't really much to it :/
Reply 24
Yeah that's it :smile:

Did any of you do the glucose essay? What did you write about?
Reply 25
Hey im new to this

looking at your answers i got 19 out of 25 which isnt too bad i guess !
i got 1 wrong like omg i got the dna rna wrong too soo stupid and other ones which i knew the answer too

see for what is a hetretroph i said it was an organism that sources its energy by feeding on different organisms do you think this is ok

did u get density dependent for 1e

suggest a method for controlling hymalaysn Balsam i said Herbecides? is that right

Why is competition regarded as negative? because neither sepeeices benefit from the interaction what do u think?

what btw is the answer about the 2 species that live on different islands i talked about resource partioning and how they use the resources differentyl and how is reduces cometitive exclusion principle

Identify which is integral i know i got wrong as i only said A and D but now i think c and b are right too

omg what was 6a i said that this allowed the operator to be free to switch on the structual gene

i saidthe amino acid was polar which is wrong cos its basic i think

what about 7b what did u lot rite i said something about how to increase the rate of reaction you have to increase the conc of substrate which increase Km

essay was ok

the trend in psychiology unit i said that as you get older in 1993 the frequency of obesity increases

4 marker i said about blood flow increaseing to lungs and heart decreasing to guts
heart rate cardiac output. strolke volume increasing
i wrote about cardiac hypertrophy which i think is wrong and i wrote about the left ventricle getting bigger
and i said the myocardium muscle was stronger

3a in psychiology i wrote that the greater the oxygen consumption the fitter cos more oxygen available to musclkes so remain aerobic for longer time

OMG what was the component of total enegy expenditure i wrote something crap like calculating the enrgy prdouced

and the error bar thing i said it showed that there is variation betweeen people does these results dotn account for every indcividual

did anybody get along these answers for these

thanks
Reply 26
Rach L

Did the glucose essay. I worte about alpha and beta glucose and drew their structures and then I wrote about starch (amylose and amylopectin), glycogen and cellulose, their functions and structures.

You?
yosrush
Density-dependent, wasn't really much to it :/

Thats what I got, but just wanted to double check, thank you.
Reply 28
hey to the glucos essay this is the points i wrote:

1- glucose exists in linear form
2 l form d form where the hydroxyl group is
3- in solutuon ring strcutre beta and alpha where hydroxly on c1 is
4- beta d glucose most abundant

polysacharides
glycogen- branced
cellulose- unbranched
amloceptin coiled
functions of strach, glycogen and cellulose
the bonds between starch glucose and cellulose
ie alpoha 1-4 beta 1-4 etc and thats all
im hoping that gets me 11- 12 marks

what did u write rach L
Rach L

Hahaaa.

I probably got 2/15 for that. I only did it because I had no idea what PCR was.

Bad bad exam.
Reply 30
23/25 the same as the first post =D
Found the whole paper pretty good, bar the essay
Reply 31
Ehhh I wasn't too keen on the essays so I don't think mine were that good (I think I'll have got 8/9 :frown:).

I wrote about the linear form, ring form (alpha/beta), a bit about the formation of the glycosidic bond and then about a few different types of polysaccharide. It wasn't very good though :s-smilie:
Reply 32
im sure uve done fine rachel u've said the main points i dont know what else there was to talk about !!

what did u think of the psychilogy unit i thought the 4 mark question was hard and the last question was hard aswell :frown:
Reply 33
I really liked the 4 marker in the Physiology unit :biggrin: I talked about increase in heart rate, increase in systolic BP, change in blood flow and increase in breathing rate. I just hope I went into enough detail to get the full 4 marks!

Overall I thought the Physiology was pretty reasonable, though I didn't know a limitation of BIA so just made it up :P. What did you all put for 4(a)? I put BMR but I'm not sure if that's right....
Reply 34
oh i forget blood presusure but the others i wrote 2 :smile:

i put that temperature affects the results and hydration level of the body and it overstimates fat in lean ppl and understimates fat in obese ppl
Reply 35
Ooh I did put about the overestimate/underestimation! I wasn't sure if that was enough though....
Reply 36
hey cna anybody tell me if the answers that i poseted earlier semm write plz
thnks
Reply 37
for physiology 4a i put the thermic effect of food.
and for a limitation of BIA I put that the operator might not use the equipment properly, and so results will be inaccurate.
Reply 38
For the glucose essay I wrote about;

- Glucose is a hexose sugar with the formula (CH2O)6 which conforms to the carbohydrate general formula (CH2O)n.
- Glucose exists in Linear D and L forms which are reflections of each other.
- Glucose also exists in rings, the D Ring form can be Beta or Alpha. In the Beta form the OH is above the '1 Carbon and in the Alpha form the OH group is below the '1 Carbon on the plane of the ring.
- Glucose can make disaccharides, cellubiose and maltose w/fructose. I talked about what kind of bonds (ex. alpha (1 - 4))
- Glucose also makes polysaccharides by a dehydration synthesis reaction, the removal of water to build up a larger polysaccharide with monomeric glucose units.
- Cellulose is many glucose monomers bonded with Beta (1 - 4) linkages. The Beta sheets make fibrils which make it's structure suited for plant cell walls.
- Starch is an energy store in plants. It's made of amylose and amylopectin. Talked about their shape (coiled and branched) and their type of alpha bonds.
- Glycogen is an animal energy store. It's like the "animal starch" and similar to amylopectin except that it is more highly branced.
Rach L

Overall I thought the Physiology was pretty reasonable, though I didn't know a limitation of BIA so just made it up :P. What did you all put for 4(a)? I put BMR but I'm not sure if that's right....

What was 4(a)? For a limitation I put somebody with a pacemaker. Electric current and all...

Latest

Trending

Trending