The Student Room Group

Drum & Bass Society - Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
2hr fresh b2b w/ brookes bros at global 2moro weee weee weee!
DBazza
Hahaha...have some rep for that!

Been a while since I've posted in here, good to see the usual names and a few more still posting quality stuff. Here's a few I've been getting really into recently, finding my taste evolving slightly over time which is always good:

^^for the DJs amongst you, I got this to double drop pretty nicely with Heavyweight (despite this being D and Heavyweight in C#), then subsequently realised that Heavyweight seems to double drop really well with just about everything

hehe sounds like a red moment. rep back at ya. I like the d-bridge track, very nice chilled ethereal sounds
buzzcat
2hr fresh b2b w/ brookes bros at global 2moro weee weee weee!

Where's this?
Reply 784
RoadWarrior
Where's this?

global gathering man it should be sick

yeh that break tune is heavy man me rikey!
buzzcat
global gathering man it should be sick

yeh that break tune is heavy man me rikey!

I really wanted to go to that, but I'm on holiday =/ It sounds wicked.. especially cos there's trance and hardcore as well as DnB :woo: Have fun :smile:
timmo_226644
alright mate, just a quick one, how do you manage to discover what key a tune is in. With respect to the pitch change obviously. Say if you were to beat meatch Heaveyweight to a different tune then the pitch therefor key would change to something completely different. Did you teach yourself to recognise keys? Thanks

Hey,
Yeah for discovering keys I usually just do it by ear; it tends to be harder the more "minimal" the track you're listening to is (ie for really bouncy synthy stuff like Brookes Brothers it's easy cos you can just sit at a keyboard and pick out the chords by ear most of the time! but for something like the Break tune I posted you can't really do that :p:), but generally it's what I do. I play quite a few instruments and have studied music theory to a fairly high level anyway so I have pretty reliable innate pitching ability, but if I ever get stuck I just put it into Virtual DJ :o: - don't really use it to mix but its key recognition ability is pretty good.

As for working out what key it will be in when pitched up/down to beatmatch...again it's something I do largely by ear. Like if you start playing a track on vinyl/cdj with the pitch slider set at 0, you're hearing it at its natural BPM and key. If you pitch it up gradually then you will start to hear it change key, because if you pitch it up enough everything becomes a semitone higher than what it was before. And the same for if you keep going after that, it keeps getting a semitone higher etc. To be honest most of the time I make a fairly good guess based on knowing the tracks, practice and knowing how much you're pitching up/down by relative to the track's overall speed. But for when you can't make a guess, hey you've got a pair of headphones there to listen and play about with the track in safety - use them!

I get the feeling I've done a gash job of explaining this, it's the sort of thing that I could explain a lot better in a 5 minute practical demo! But if any of what i've said doesn't make sense let me know, I'd be happy to clarify.
Oh and just to add: harmonic mixing becomes less and less important the more minimal/dark your music is! A lot of the time you can get away with massive key clashes and a filthy, discordant horrible sound because that's pretty much what you're after anyway with that kinda DnB :p:
DBazza

I get the feeling I've done a gash job of explaining this, it's the sort of thing that I could explain a lot better in a 5 minute practical demo! But if any of what i've said doesn't make sense let me know, I'd be happy to clarify.

I feel a youtube demo coming on :wink:

One of the best of High Contrasts?
thedepressedchild

That's a hard one there's so many 'best' high contrats. For me it will always be
I think
Can anyone help me out? I heard a song yesterday, but haven't a clue what it is.

The female singer sounded black (racist), and there was a slight DnB beat to it. It's new because I heard it before not so long ago.
Reply 792
RoadWarrior
I really wanted to go to that, but I'm on holiday =/ It sounds wicked.. especially cos there's trance and hardcore as well as DnB :woo: Have fun :smile:

It was tooo good. I rarely got to check out the DnB tent as I went with a mixed bunch. We ended up spending most of the night in GodsKitchen... oh my word, the visuals!! Checked out the hardcore tent too, dripping with sweat! Loved it. Hope you're having a great holiday instead mate, whereabouts?

I'm in love with this tune now. Can't listen to this without turning into the cheshire cat

thedepressedchild

ahhh such a good tune, sat in bed with my hairs on end!

for me tho it has to be those renegade snares

buzzcat
It was tooo good. I rarely got to check out the DnB tent as I went with a mixed bunch. We ended up spending most of the night in GodsKitchen... oh my word, the visuals!! Checked out the hardcore tent too, dripping with sweat! Loved it. Hope you're having a great holiday instead mate, whereabouts?

I'm in love with this tune now. Can't listen to this without turning into the cheshire cat

I'm so ******* jealous it's unbelievable :p: Above & Beyond are quality.. Gareth Emery is a god, and John O'Callaghan and the rest aren't half bad :wink: I was in Malia, so pretty good but doesn't match that :smile:
Reply 794
Yeah Gareth Emery was amazing too! I've got a video of the intro coming soon... we bunned a zoot before his set started. I spent a good 30 minutes standing still, slack jawed staring at the visuals. Sublime.

Hmm, for some reason I've spent 19 years thinking Malia was in Africa. Looks gorgeous man, hope it was roasting there.

Falling back in love with all of Goldie's golden oldies. They're definitely Timeless.
Reply 795
can't believe I've only just heard star guitar. this put me in a childishly happy mood all day

RAM @ Fabric was ******* mental.. I was dancing on the stage :woo: This is the first time I saw Andy C and he really is as good as everyone says he is.. top guy too :biggrin:
Anyone got any recommendations along the lines of Black Sun Empire, Rawthang, Corrupt Souls, Skynet, Noisia etc.?
Reply 798

more backseat baby jokes

Fred the Raver is an absolute legend :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest