The Student Room Group

The Tier 4 applicants chat thread and FAQ *read the first post*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
sugardust
Haha sorry I'm STILL just a little bit lost about the part in bold! I thought it would be more like, say, I'm applying for my visa on the 29th of June. So, 28 days before that (not including the 29th itself), would be from the 1st of June, right? So wouldn't we only have to put in the money on the 1st of June? And then the bank statement would only have to be from the 28th of May to the 28th of June right?

Anyway thanks so much for all of your help :yep: - I think I'll be applying as a child student. I THINK. (gahh, I hate this. why does the UK have to do this to us?! :frown: )

Yeah that is correct, any 28 days as long as 28th day is within 30 days of your application date.

So if you apply on 29th your bank statement can be dated to 1st June or any date after that.
Reply 41
Moon86
Yeah that is correct, any 28 days as long as 28th day is within 30 days of your application date.

So if you apply on 29th your bank statement can be dated to 1st June or any date after that.

Ah okay thank God! & thank you! :wink: I was having all sorts of visions in my head about my parents having to cough up all that money even earlier than expected :p:
sugardust

Hey hope you don't mind me asking - okay so your parents transferred money into your account.. for 28 days? And when you apply for the visa, all you need to show as proof of having the funds, is a bank statement?

I think before, you quoted me. My parents ended up transferring money into my account. But it will not be there for 28 days when I submit my application. I am convinced the 28 days thing does not apply until October (it would be pretty messed up if it somehow did, though). Hopefully when people start getting their visas they can let us all know!

BUT- if you're going to apply as a child student you can get around this, I believe- lucky you! haha
Reply 43
dancchica530
I think before, you quoted me. My parents ended up transferring money into my account. But it will not be there for 28 days when I submit my application. I am convinced the 28 days thing does not apply until October (it would be pretty messed up if it somehow did, though). Hopefully when people start getting their visas they can let us all know!

BUT- if you're going to apply as a child student you can get around this, I believe- lucky you! haha

Out of curiosity when are you applying for visa? I can't remember if you already said this or not, sorry :s-smilie:
Moon86
Out of curiosity when are you applying for visa? I can't remember if you already said this or not, sorry :s-smilie:

I already submit my application, biometrics appointment on the 8th of July... so as soon as I get my bank statement after that, I'll send it all in. Nervous....

I don't think it was this difficult or confusing in the past to get a student visa.

Does anyone remember if there is a certain time limit from when you submit the online application to when the entire application must be sent? I thought there might be some limit like a month. But the only thing I've found upon looking is that everything must be submitted 2 weeks after the biometrics appointment. So is this "one month" deadline just an imaginary one I've made up to confuse myself further? Or is there validity in it? :confused: haha
Reply 45
dancchica530
I already submit my application, biometrics appointment on the 8th of July... so as soon as I get my bank statement after that, I'll send it all in. Nervous....

I don't think it was this difficult or confusing in the past to get a student visa.

Does anyone remember if there is a certain time limit from when you submit the online application to when the entire application must be sent? I thought there might be some limit like a month. But the only thing I've found upon looking is that everything must be submitted 2 weeks after the biometrics appointment. So is this "one month" deadline just an imaginary one I've made up to confuse myself further? Or is there validity in it? :confused: haha

I dunno really, the thing I've heard is that we have to bring all documents to our biometrics appointment together with visa fee, though that might differ from country to country

EDIT: Also I won't make an online application before 15th July, so if you get your visa decision by then would you please let me know on the 28 days issue?
Moon86
I dunno really, the thing I've heard is that we have to bring all documents to our biometrics appointment together with visa fee, though that might differ from country to country

EDIT: Also I won't make an online application before 15th July, so if you get your visa decision by then would you please let me know on the 28 days issue?

Yes- I'll post on here whether I am successful! And yes, it differs country to country. I know I have to bring a copy of my completed application and passport, but since I'm from the US I already paid my fee.
Reply 47
dancchica530
Yes- I'll post on here whether I am successful! And yes, it differs country to country. I know I have to bring a copy of my completed application and passport, but since I'm from the US I already paid my fee.

Awesome! Thanks!

This new system really stinks and is sooo confusing, makes me kinda feel like a lab rat, I liked the old one better :s-smilie:
Moon86
Awesome! Thanks!

This new system really stinks and is sooo confusing, makes me kinda feel like a lab rat, I liked the old one better :s-smilie:

yeah! The thing that really bothers me is why I should have to have the money in an account to my name, even when my parents are funding it (they should have a section addressing the idea of parents/family as a sponsor or something!)- not to mention, I can't imagine what those students do whose parents are expected to earn the money through the duration of the year so they don't have the entire amount sitting around just to apply for the visa!
Reply 49
dancchica530
yeah! The thing that really bothers me is why I should have to have the money in an account to my name, even when my parents are funding it (they should have a section addressing the idea of parents/family as a sponsor or something!)- not to mention, I can't imagine what those students do whose parents are expected to earn the money through the duration of the year so they don't have the entire amount sitting around just to apply for the visa!

Exactly! To me it would make much more sense to have money in parent's account plus file their pay slips with application, because it is quite obvious someone must fund you because when applying for visa you have to prove that you don't have to work in the UK in order to survive.

So asking for funds for first 9 months makes absolutely no sense because how will they know that after spending that sum of the money I will not beg on the streets if they don't ask for parent's pay slips or something else?

And I totally know what you mean about students who can't gather all the money needed at once, I know few of my friends who had to drop their applications for that reason.
Hi everyone !

I was just wondering for those of you who already made the applications online, are the questions the same as on the forms on the UK border agency websites ?

Also , except for bank letters and the university visa letter and all sorts of education certificates, are there any other documents (that are not listed on the checklists) you're going to present with the application ?

I'm about to do my online application this week and was wondering if I might need to present something that doesn't appear on the checklists ...

Also , just wanted to say good luck to anyone who's applying :smile:
Reply 51
hopefully i don't sound stupid by asking this but:

I heard from somewhere you can't apply 3 months before the start of the course, but I see people applying online already? Or does that mean that we can complete the online portion first?
Reply 52
ArianaBanana
Hi everyone !

I was just wondering for those of you who already made the applications online, are the questions the same as on the forms on the UK border agency websites ?

Also , except for bank letters and the university visa letter and all sorts of education certificates, are there any other documents (that are not listed on the checklists) you're going to present with the application ?

I'm about to do my online application this week and was wondering if I might need to present something that doesn't appear on the checklists ...

Also , just wanted to say good luck to anyone who's applying :smile:

I haven't fill out the online application form yet, however I can tell you that you will need to present your old passports for last 10 years. Though I am pretty sure those are listed on check list.

Lionelg

hopefully i don't sound stupid by asking this but:

I heard from somewhere you can't apply 3 months before the start of the course, but I see people applying online already? Or does that mean that we can complete the online portion first?

As far as I know you can't apply more than 3 months before your course starts, however I am pretty sure that people who already applied have courses starting in September, 3 months for courses starting in September is June. Plus there are some course starting in August as far as I know.

I am not 100 % sure but I think they list date of your online application as the date you applied.
Does anyone know if there is a deadline from when you submit your online application, to when the entire application must be submitted?
Reply 54
Something crossed my mind, during the old visa system you had to prove where the money came from, does this apply for new visas, or do they not care about origin of the money as long as it is there?

I am asking this because well money I have did not originated through a loan or savings account it is simply a money my mum put aside off her salary and if I transfer it to my account there is no way of proving it :confused:
Moon86
Something crossed my mind, during the old visa system you had to prove where the money came from, does this apply for new visas, or do they not care about origin of the money as long as it is there?

I am asking this because well money I have did not originated through a loan or savings account it is simply a money my mum put aside off her salary and if I transfer it to my account there is no way of proving it :confused:

you could probably show records of the transfer... BUT- I haven't seen anything about this in the new system so I don't think you need to worry about it.
Reply 56
dancchica530
you could probably show records of the transfer... BUT- I haven't seen anything about this in the new system so I don't think you need to worry about it.

I just made that transfer today and I am now super nervous as it won't be 28 days :s
Moon86

I just made that transfer today and I am now super nervous as it won't be 28 days :s

I was talking to a friend of mine in China. She's working on her UK student visa right now. Since it's so popular to go to the UK for school, they hold meetings in the large cities about visas. She told me the British officer at the meeting said the 28 days thing started October 1st. SO I would assume, it's the same all over :smile: and I think we'll be fine. I hope haha!
Re: the 28-day thing

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/adult-students/money/what-money-do-i-need/

I already posted this link, but for the benefit of everybody, read what it says under "transitional arrangements"

also here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/adult-students/documents-and-proof/proof-of-availability-of-money/

"You must show that you have held the money for at least 28 days. But there are transitional arrangements in place if you apply before 1 October 2009. See What money do I need? for more information on the transitional arrangements."

By all means if you are still able to show it for 28 days just to be on the safe side, then do so. But if its going to be a huuge hassle that will delay your application to keep it in your account for that long, then don't - it should be fine.
hamsterhavoc
Ooooh, didn't see that little bit. Thanks for pointing it out! Yeah, should be okay then.

The visa website seems to just take you around in circles. I was mildly put out that the link outlining the necessary documents etc. wasn't really available until you actually sat down and applied for the visa itself (after waiting till you were finally able to do so). It's hard to find things clearly stated...

Hope you get that second letter without any more hassle. What a pain!!

Hamster, I remember you were asking about transcripts and whether they had to be in sealed envelopes or not - what did you decide to do with yours? I have a transcript lying around at home that I ordered way back in December when I was doing my application forms (I ordered an extra one by mistake) - unfortunately I've opened it already since I didn't think I would end up needing it. I don't know whether to request a new one from my undergrad Uni or not?!

Quick Reply

Latest