The Student Room Group

Need to ask because I dont know enough about Uni applications

My parents never went to Uni and they have jobs that are good. They are divorced. I live in a council house because were I live council housing is really good and I live in a good area. I'm not a chav or a Ned tho im just working class. I have always felt looked down on because of my backround and alot of people look down on my life.

Because my backround isn't what i would call rich or privaliged does this count against me when I am applying for university.:s-smilie:
Lol no it wouldn't count against you. Don't worry about it. It's against the rules for universities to discriminate.
Reply 2
Definitely not. I come from a poor, rough council estate, and my parents are working class. I got offers from all five uni choices. It does not make any difference whatsoever.
Reply 3
No, your univeristy only bases its offers on your statements and grades.

And the lower your income, the larger a bursary (free money) you can get, to make sure you can afford uni.
Reply 4
Not at all.

As long as you get the grades and have a good personal statement, you can technically get into any university. There are some that have reputations of taking private school kids e.g. Bristol and Oxbridge but this is by no means a requisite and there will always be other people from different backgrounds at uni too.

You just might want to take it into account when choosing the unis you apply to; if feeling like you're being looked down on upsets you, then obviously don't apply for a uni in a predominantly posh area or that has a reputation for being public school kids.
Reply 5
no, not all, why would you think such?
Reply 6
Thanks for all your advice:smile:

epic_scale
no, not all, why would you think such?

Its the way auntie talks about my mum and step-dad and acts like we need her charity and she has made comments that im not right for Uni.:mad:
Reply 7
katierattray
Thanks for all your advice:smile:

Its the way auntie talks about my mum and step-dad and acts like we need her charity and she has made comments that im not right for Uni.:mad:

nah, do what's best for you, which is uni.
Reply 8
Thanks Ive started my application this week so all my uni worries are coming up
wisdom-tooth
Lol no it wouldn't count against you. Don't worry about it. It's against the rules for universities to discriminate.

Actually there was a "positive" discrimination thing in place that made it easier for people from disadvantaged backgrounds to get into university. LEAPS of something I think it was called.
michael89mtb
Actually there was a "positive" discrimination thing in place that made it easier for people from disadvantaged backgrounds to get into university. LEAPS of something I think it was called.

Just to clarify, that is the Lothian Equal Access Programme for Schools, and is peculiar to the Edinburgh and Lothians area. There may or may not be a similar scheme in the OPs region. My geography's poor, but I think Hawick's further south.
Reply 11
maria0208
Definitely not. I come from a poor, rough council estate, and my parents are working class. I got offers from all five uni choices. It does not make any difference whatsoever.

This is me exactly.

OP, your application just has your address on it doesn't say council house etc. So they won't know and you can choose not to say whether your parents went to uni although it's much more likley to go in your favour than against you.
katierattray
My parents never went to Uni and they have jobs that are good. They are divorced. I live in a council house because were I live council housing is really good and I live in a good area. I'm not a chav or a Ned tho im just working class. I have always felt looked down on because of my backround and alot of people look down on my life.

Because my backround isn't what i would call rich or privaliged does this count against me when I am applying for university.:s-smilie:

Nope not at all, as everyone else has said :smile:

I'm from a very similar family to you, except my Dad went to uni and my parents have split up but were never married...

It definitely doesn't count against you and may work in your favour!

Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending