The Student Room Group

Quick guide to writing English Literature essays for AS and A2

Just some tips I've picked up, feel free to add your own :smile: I'll probably keep editing this so check back!

1. Read the question and underline the key words; it's not always necessary to repeat them in every paragraph but at least you're showing the marker you're staying on track.

2. Plan first. You may think of things to add as you're writing and that's fine too. Just make sure you list your main points and a brief (few word) summary of how you intend to develop the point/what opinion(s) you will include.

3. Use a mixture of short quotations integrated into your sentences (even one or two words) and longer quotes on a separate line. Long quotes should be no longer than 4 lines (with exceptions in some cases e.g. poetry)

4. Don't use the words 'positive' and 'negative', be more specific and creative :wink:

5. All essays should be in third person, no 'I', 'we', 'our', 'us' etc. Instead, try, 'It can be argued that...', 'Critics have suggested...'

6. Always have the main assessment objective in your head when you're writing - if you aren't sure for each paper, check either on the Internet or with your teacher. For example, if the main one is context, it's best to have your essay focus on that rather that interpretations or whatever.

7. Conclusions aren't always necessary to gain top marks. In reality, the teacher/examiner will have probably decided on your mark already by this point, but it's a bonus if you can conclude fluently of course! Your conclusion should sum up fairly briefly your main argument and link it back to the question. Again, remember not to use first person! It's also best to avoid phrases and words like, 'In conclusion...' and 'Overall...' where possible - often it seems disjointed or an attempt to bring your essay back to the point.

8. Remember to explore any quotations you make fully. Try to always make at least one language point and use a quote with a feature such as a simile/metaphor etc. to use terminology - don't forget to explain its effects! Also try to link your quotes and points to the main assessment objective: broaden your language point to refer to context/interpretations or whatever.

I hope this is helpful so far :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending