The Student Room Group

Don't you hate it when people have "RIP ---" as their Facebook statuses?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Nick_000
Hmmmm, the sarcasm was glaringly obvious too.

internet sarcasm, how orginal for you
(this isnt me trying to shift the blame....)
thecdon
Just shut up all those people moaning about people having rip in their Status it is
none of your business to say what people should and shouldn't have in their status, absolute bellends

:ditto:
I think RIP can be a bit routine in such situations which is why I put Rest in Peace instead.
serrellen
You can't just say "For me" and use that to negate a fact.

"For me, calling someone a n*gger isn't racist."
"For me, Josef Fritzl is an example of a good parent."
"For me, Obama's election isn't a landmark in US history."

Facts aren't subjective, and RIP being used to the extent where it is a tired, hackneyed cliche is a fact.

Would you be quiet already? You know what's a cliche? You being just another user making another pointless thread.

So what if it's a cliche? Get over it. At the end of it all, nothing you say or do will stop people from having RIP --- as their Facebook status.
Reply 84
KingPin
internet sarcasm, how orginal for you
(this isnt me trying to shift the blame....)

Yes, everything has to be original.

Posting on the internet - Original indeed. You conformist! :borat:
You can't even compare Jade Goody to Michael Jackson. People are saying RIP because he was a famous man who touched their lives with his music. What did Jade Goody ever do? Oh yeah that's right take the pi** out of Shilpa Shetty.
Reply 86
What's the difference between MJ and Sir Alex Ferguson?

Fergie will still be playing Giggs in August. :eek:

In all seriousness though, it doesn't really bother me. He was a seriously talented guy, a great entertainer, and people are free to show their respects in whatever way they see fit.
annapenny
Haha, and this comment started off so well as a general statement about saying something like 'best musician EVER', which of course is a silly thing to say about Michael Jackson, great as he was.

Mozart, Beethoven, Charlie Parker, Rachmaninoff, Charlie Christian, BB King...the drummer from Dream Theatre. Not sure, but perhaps there's an odd one out there...

Meh, although composers are still musicians you can't really compare them imo. The skill Mike Portnoy possesses is one of a kind; no-one matches him in intensity, raw skill and original technique.
AsphyxiateD
Meh, although composers are still musicians you can't really compare them imo. The skill Mike Portnoy possesses is one of a kind; no-one matches him in intensity, raw skill and original technique.

Kind of irrelevant but I love your Bellamy sig!
serrellen
:eek3: Getting a LOT of it right now with MJ but Heath Ledger was another big one and even Jade Goody. I wish people would realise it makes them look moronic, and anyway, RIP is a Catholic dedication and as such has very little relevance to most of these people.

Rant over.

how can you even compare MJ with Jade Goody you ****/idiot
We do it out of respect for such an amazing musician.
RIP my boi MJ
leala4628
I think RIP can be a bit routine in such situations which is why I put Rest in Peace instead.

I LOVE YOU
Reply 91
no i dont hate it when people put RIP in their status'. If its on their mind then let em do it.
Reply 92
Shouldnt it be RIH? Rest in Hell? Kidding. Its much cooler to have jokes in your statuses. Before I get a backlash I liked his music just not him ok.
Reply 93
DougLTFC
I don't mind but everyone seems to forget Farrah Fawcett. Obviously MJ was more famous but all this arse licking is getting boring. Unless you knew him personally, there's no need to get all emotional.

Also, some of the jokes are quite funny.

Edit: To the person who neg repped me for this post. If you're going to be a keyboard warrior, at least leave your name. Many Thanks.

Also, did you know that McDonalds are bringing out a new burger in memory of MJ? Apparently it's going to have 50 year old meat in a 10 year old bun.

:eek: what a sick joke....i feel bad i actually laughed
Reply 94
Sorry but i feel the OP as issues, serious issues

.....whats wrong in dedicating your status to MJ ....at the end of the day it isn't like its hurting your eyes or what not...when other ppl died i.e. jade goody ppl did dedicate their status to her.

Plus not every1 will be able to attend the funeral or is in America the best we can do is use our resources to pay the dead respect. Simple.
Reply 95
Nick_000
Yes, everything has to be original.

Posting on the internet - Original indeed. You conformist! :borat:

I feel loathed to argue with you as I admire your name
Reply 96
Facebook is a time wasting machine, boring, addictive and life threatening. :run: :yep:
sadie-kiki
I don't mind when it's someone you actually know. Like one of my friends has RIP nanny as hers because her grandmother died recently. But for people you don't know...it's a bit pathetic.

Pathetic?

That's just stupid. You don't need to know someone personally to be sad that they've died :/
Reply 98
You need to get over it. You cannot put every single person who posts condolences on facebook into one group.

Yeah there are the ones who are "jumping on the bandwagon" but there are people such as myself who genuinely loved him, the person and the perfomer. No i didnt know him personally, and i was born in 1990, but i was brought up listening to him, watching him and loving him. I have always expressed the fact that I have been a fan since i can remember.

So not everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Get over yourself, if people want to say RIP, then leave them be, sure its not very original, but its something.
I still can't believe Tobey Maguire is dead. I mean come on, 3 in 2 days!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending