The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

G50
"how can you call it 'losing an hour'?" You're obliged to return the favor, which means you have to put your own time into it. Time which would otherwise be free. Hence you lose an hour (or whatever time it is you got out of it). But basically, you owe that much time in return to them. There are people who wouldn't want to lose that time. And if you're paying for lessons, you can expect (no, demand) a MUCH higher standard of quality than what you'd get from some free, personal arrangement.

And you don't think I'll make any money from this? Did you not read all the posts by people who say that they'd pay for such a service if they could? Or anecdotes about people they know who are already earning money from this? :confused: Edit: sorry, I'm not trying to sound full of myself. I'm just saying that all signs point to being able to make a little money from this.

No I whole heartedly disagree and I am entitled to. Those who wouldn't pay haven't bothered posting in this thread as the title tells it all.

You're also forgetting that you're not even a native - why would I trust your language?

A friendship can be built from tandem exchanges. That is what helps the learning. Oh and another thing, as a non qualified teacher why do you suppose you are so great at teaching?
Reply 21
the bottom line is, there's no harm in trying, right?

And if not trusting her language, because she's not a native, is an issue then I obviously misplaced my trust in all my old teachers who weren't natives...:rolleyes: Just because she isn't a qualified teacher doesn't mean she can't teach. Give the OP a chance at least before beating her down in such a blunt way.

Didn't she say she was educated in France? That makes her French a hell of a lot better than some of the teachers I work with who haven't spent any significant time abroad since their degree.

And the fact that she is willing to give lessons at all implies she's confident in her own language skills.

Just because certain people don't think it will work, well, that doesn't mean that it won't! :smile:
Reply 22
KayleeLand
No I whole heartedly disagree and I am entitled to. Those who wouldn't pay haven't bothered posting in this thread as the title tells it all.

You're also forgetting that you're not even a native - why would I trust your language?

A friendship can be built from tandem exchanges. That is what helps the learning. Oh and another thing, as a non qualified teacher why do you suppose you are so great at teaching?

Yes, we're all entitled to our opinions. Some people believe the Earth is flat, for instance. It's their choice. Moving on...

I don't see what the title has got to do with it. I asked people if they'd pay for the lessons if they were available. It's a question with a binary choice. Yes or no. I didn't say "only post here if you would." Secondly, I am native. I'm a dual citizen. And I might not be a teacher, but I volunteered as an assistant during English class while I was in France, so I have some experience in working with pupils.

Edit: sorry, Tink12, I'm a guy, not a girl. :wink:
Tink12
the bottom line is, there's no harm in trying, right?

And if not trusting her language, because she's not a native, is an issue then I obviously misplaced my trust in all my old teachers who weren't natives...:rolleyes: Just because she isn't a qualified teacher doesn't mean she can't teach. Give the OP a chance at least before beating her down in such a blunt way.

Didn't she say she was educated in France? That makes her French a hell of a lot better than some of the teachers I work with who haven't spent any significant time abroad since their degree.

And the fact that she is willing to give lessons at all implies she's confident in her own language skills.

Just because certain people don't think it will work, well, that doesn't mean that it won't! :smile:

No it does not make her French a hell of a lot better at all. Even natives sometimes don't have great skills - I mean, would I let some English chav with a C in English GCSE teach me? No I wouldn't.

By the way, G50, helping in English class does not give you teaching experience. Only experience that you could put down on a PGCE app form and the like is actually worth anything. You did not have to plan lessons, nor differentiate material to reach different abilities.

As I previously said: Good luck. I still believe you will be excessively lucky to have more than 2 hours a week, thus rendering the whole charade pointless.
I think 6/hr is very reasonable because I did a lot of research into private tutoring for the languages I was interested in adn many were 20-60/hr T_T!!
Reply 25
Having a PGCE doesn't necessarily make you capable of teaching - everyone knows that. And unfortunately, very little school/classroom based experience is usually enough to get you onto a PGCE nowadays - they should make it harder in my opinion.
Reply 26
KayleeLand
As I previously said: Good luck. I still believe you will be excessively lucky to have more than 2 hours a week, thus rendering the whole charade pointless.

I realize you're trolling for negative rep (as you seem to like to collect the little red gems), but you're going to have to try somewhere else, because you won't be getting it from me.
Tink12
Having a PGCE doesn't necessarily make you capable of teaching - everyone knows that. And unfortunately, very little school/classroom based experience is usually enough to get you onto a PGCE nowadays - they should make it harder in my opinion.

I never said it did. But it actually does make you capable of teaching... That was not my point at all. Re-read before you respond again.
G50
I realize you're trolling for negative rep (as you seem to like to collect the little red gems), but you're going to have to try somewhere else, because you won't be getting it from me.

Hmmm clearly have no idea of what a troll actually is.

I am just responding to the argument you started as you picked up on my original comment.

I don't give a poo about rep and had you been on here longer, you would know that.
Reply 29
KayleeLand
Hmmm clearly have no idea of what a troll actually is.

I am just responding to the argument you started as you picked up on my original comment.

I don't give a poo about rep and had you been on here longer, you would know that.

Look, there are so many different arguments/viewpoints about teaching and education that this debate we've got going on just really isn't worth it, so let's just leave it here, shall we?
Reply 30
Uhm, yes, I do know what a troll is. It's someone who deliberately posts inflammatory things to incite disruption and arguments. That is exactly what you've been doing in this thread. Of course a troll wouldn't owe up to this, as that wouldn't make the person a very good troll... and could probably even get him/her banned. What makes you a good troll is that you don't make it too obvious... you take borderline subjects which are arguable, even if stupid, but still borderline arguable. I'm sorry, but it's quite clear through your rep (whether you care about it or not) that you've pissed off a lot of people. Either you didn't do it on purpose (in which case I feel sorry for you if you manage to be so unpleasant to most people), or you've been trolling. Either way, you're not fooling me. Then again, I have been a fool, since I actually bothered responding to you in the first place. Don't feed the trolls is what they say, right...
Reply 31
OK, I think the OP has his answer now. Thanks to the people who offered helpful and constructive posts.

The thread is now locked.

Latest

Trending

Trending